Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,592,923 times

Advertisements

Yes, when there's a crisis in America, this is how a real leader goes on vacation. So admirable!

Now watch this drive! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,448,596 times
Why does anyone give a crap how much "vacation" any modern president takes? Like they are really chilling on the beach with a Clancy novel or BBQ'ing at a friends house?

Presidents work. ALL. THE. TIME. Where ever. When ever. Who ever they are with.

So my fellow righties - let's cut the dumb "Martha's Vineyard pansy elitist vacation" canard. It really is ridiculously juvinielle.

And before you lefties get all smug, you said the same stupid stuff about GWB's "vacation", so spare us the mock indigination.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:46 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,079,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Um, FEMA is a federal agency. Katrina was a federal crisis, not just a state one. When a Governor declares a state of emergency, it allows them to get Federal aid.
I am well aware of this, aside from the fact that it was NOT a "federal crisis." In what way do you believe it was a federal crisis?

It was a state matter. Just b/c some funding is coming from a federal agency does not mean the president has to authorize it or get involved in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Katrina affected more than one state.
Did I say it didn't?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Why does anyone give a crap how much "vacation" any modern president takes? Like they are really chilling on the beach with a Clancy novel or BBQ'ing at a friends house?

Presidents work. ALL. THE. TIME. Where ever. When ever. Who ever they are with.

So my fellow righties - let's cut the dumb "Martha's Vineyard pansy elitist vacation" canard. It really is ridiculously juvinielle.

And before you lefties get all smug, you said the same stupid stuff about GWB's "vacation", so spare us the mock indigination.
I can't speak for everyone, but part of the issue is that he has stated he will put forth a jobs plan AFTER his vacation. I mean, how much sense does that make? People who are on unemployment, people who are losing their homes, people who are just barely scraping by on what's left of their savings...do you think these folks can just wait around for Obama and Congress to come up with something? No, we need our gov't to lead and figure out the best way to spur job growth and give us all some confidence in the future.

The thing is, the libs think THEY have to be the ones to provide jobs. Wrong, they need to figure out how to make this country more business-friendly, which may include things like lowering corporate tax rates, eliminating the capital gains tax, removing some regulations, reevaluating trade agreements, etc. The debate on this is just an argument waiting to happen, in all reality.

No solution can be implemented overnight, that's why we need to come up with a plan NOW, to set everything in motion and get the country back on track.

THAT is why I personally have an issue with Obama taking his little vacation right now. I would imagine many conservatives would agree with me.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,214,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The numbers I heard cited compared Obama's vacation days to the vacation days took by other presidents at this point in their presidency. Judging by that criteria, Bush is by far the vacation king, followed by Reagan, then Obama and then Clinton.
Define vacation.

Working, but not in DC, bringing staff with you..... or on the beach in Hawaii or visiting the old stomping grounds in Chi-town - family only?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,387,825 times
I'd like it with some others i know who called me tonight and said to me, they hope Obama is on a permanant vacation~

No one person had to smear Obama, tanking sliding downhill over the cliff economy, unemployment figures just for the month of Aug at a all time high of 408,000 new claims, black unemployment so high at 16% housing values have fallen down 3.5% and will continue to slide they said tonight. Infact they stated housing will be at a all time low. Stocks fell overr 450 points. Not looking too good are we.

No one has to lie, people have eyes people can hear, the economy is sucky, housing the worse it has ever been, stoccks falling, and unemployment much too high, Really think people are lying about those things.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Define vacation.

Working, but not in DC, bringing staff with you..... or on the beach in Hawaii or visiting the old stomping grounds in Chi-town - family only?
Great point. I was going to bring this up but then figured it doesn't matter, the libs will never see the difference.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,260,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Define vacation.

Now watch this drive! - YouTube

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,817,438 times
It's a typical Cover Obama's ***** again article.

It's written for parrot heads exactly like the one's on this forum.

A true report would be on the cost(s) that these vacation times burden the taxpayers with!

People are 'rightly' noticing and getting upset because .. The country is in a shambles and once again .. Obama and his Royal Family are vacationing on the taxpayers dime!

The Food-stamp President needs another vacation folks!

Is this the 'shared sacrifice' that he wants us all to participate in?

We'll sacrifice our taxpayer money while he 'shares' the $50,000 a week resort at Martha's Vineyard with his family?

When President Bush(43) was in office, his ranch was commonly referred to as the Texas White House or the Crawford White House. Business was conducted from there with little to no extra cost to the taxpayers.

THIS is what the lying, cover-up media is adding up as Vacation Times for Bush!

Bush(43) also spent many of his holidays in D.C. so that the Secret Service agents could be with their families.

When President Reagan was in office, his ranch was referred to as the Western White House.
Just as with President Bush, business was conducted at the Western White House with little or no extra cost to the taxpayers.

And just as they did with Bush .. The cover up, lying Media are adding his Out Of The White House Time as Vacation time!
Massive Secret Service protection was not needed and as such .. No taxpayer dollars!

I love the part about Slick Willie taking the 'least vacation time'.

When Slick Willie was in office, the White House in D.C. should have been named the Las Vegas East... 'What happened in the White House stayed in the White House'.
(Why leave home when the 'girls' are coming to you!?)

The Truth is .. Obama and his brood love to jet set .. All around the world with a full entourage and NEVER have to spend a dime of their own .. It's paid for by the Taxpayers!

If you could find an Actual 'spread sheet' on the cost(s) of these vacations .. The story would not be printed!

One more thing .. If you were to add up the Hours that Obama has spent on the Golf course, the White House Concerts and Get-Togethers, The Parties and Sit Down, Fund Raising Dinners .. Would That add to his vacation time!?

This story is typical DNC rhetoric.
They are void of dignity and have no shame!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You see, this is exactly what happens when people think they can just flippantly throw around facts and think no one knows better.

Guess you hadn't heard about the 1980's recession? Let's take a trip back in the time machine.

Early 1980s recession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bank failures, bank deregulation, beginnings of S&L scandals brought on by the Bushies, unemployment, inflation and borrowing at near zero levels. I guess you don't count those...since they were the worst economic event since...oh, I know...the Great Depression!

I swear, sometimes it's just too easy.
Lol, either this is or isn't the worst economy since the great depression. If you are trying to argue the 80s recession was worse, you may be right. But you ought to tell your hero that. Every time he opens his trap he tells us he inherited the worst economy since the great depression. By the way Carters economy was way worse, with interest rates in double digits. I swear some people simply can't read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies