Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you favor making insurance policies easier to understand?
Yes 32 78.05%
No 7 17.07%
Not sure 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nothing is wrong with that at all. It comes down to this: If Obama is for it, they're against it. It's the Republican way: Logic be damned. That should be their party slogan.
String the crap out but not much of it sticks unless one of your people is reading or smelling it.

I am still wondering how this will be paid for if the Supreme Court rules wrong on mandated health insurance. Can you tell me how this isn't getting ahead of things until the Court makes its ruling? I just don't want to see that pile of Pelosi installed until we know if it is constitutional. I think that mandated any kind of insurance is just not constitutional, at all.

You are right that I am just against Obamacare. It was written in seclusion by a group of a couple of Senators, some union heads, some insurance people never considered by a committee, never debated at all, never read on the floor, never allowed any time for the Senate to consider it. Then it was voted on by the House with no consideration as was admitted when Nasty Nancy said her now famous words, "We have to vote for it so we can learn what is in it". Those words were an admission of how illegally it was passed in the Senate and then in the House. You have some idea of how legislation has to be passed in our Congress and this thing was never inside those rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
New rules will make health insurance easier to understand

Do you favor making insurance policies easier to understand? Why or why not?
So it took them 2000 + pages of legal mumbo jumbo to mandate insurance companies simplify their language so the public can understand it. How about Democrats take a dose of their own medicine.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I think it's an excellent idea, for two reasons:

1. I've had the same health insurance since 1974 - not the same coverage, but the same health insurance. It changes every year - what they cover, what they don't, what the premium is, what the co-pays are, what the deductible is, which doctors/hospitals/clinics are "preferred", etc., etc. I think it's gotten easier to understand over the years - partly because I've gotten better at understanding how the information is presented and partly because they have gotten better in using plain English and organizing the information in an easier-to-use manner. But I welcome any efforts to make it more plain and more easy.

2. Assuming that the Affordable Care Act is fully implemented, the health exchanges that are being established will give people access to more choices than many have ever had. To make good decisions for themselves and their families, people will need to compare the plans that are available, and that means understanding the differences and similarities with regard to costs and coverages. The clearer the information is presented, the better.
Surely in 37 years the company and you have come to the point where you can understand without the government getting between you. You said that they have been getting easier to read all that time, so why does some bureaucrat need to help reword it.

Speaking of health exchanges, Governor Brownback gave $31 million dollars that was suppose to be used to create those exchanges. I wonder if that was the same amount that every other state was given. I say that since our Insurance Commissioner had done much of the work to create all this but I bet many hadn't. Why would it take more money to create those things in any other states? I don't understand but this is the first thing that that man has ever done that I really support. Whoops, he is a Republican and I am not supposed to not like him.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:

The government has regulated insurance policy language for decades... with the goal of making them easier to understand.

This is nothing new.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
String the crap out but not much of it sticks unless one of your people is reading or smelling it.

I am still wondering how this will be paid for if the Supreme Court rules wrong on mandated health insurance. Can you tell me how this isn't getting ahead of things until the Court makes its ruling? I just don't want to see that pile of Pelosi installed until we know if it is constitutional. I think that mandated any kind of insurance is just not constitutional, at all.

You are right that I am just against Obamacare. It was written in seclusion by a group of a couple of Senators, some union heads, some insurance people never considered by a committee, never debated at all, never read on the floor, never allowed any time for the Senate to consider it. Then it was voted on by the House with no consideration as was admitted when Nasty Nancy said her now famous words, "We have to vote for it so we can learn what is in it". Those words were an admission of how illegally it was passed in the Senate and then in the House. You have some idea of how legislation has to be passed in our Congress and this thing was never inside those rules.
All great points.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I mean after they could use a punch card to vote then could use a computer;lied about their income to get loans :I doubt some can read anything and understand it.So why spedn the money. But i forgot more regualtion as this is obama plan for amercia's economy.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Oh boy! Another consumer disclosure! Thank God for the blizzard of privacy notices I receive every year, at great cost to every company with which I do business!

Too bad the morons outlawed the ONLY proven health cost reducer, high deductible health insurance. I wish their damn disclosure would not have to explain how my routine medical expenes must now be routed through an insurance company at extra expense to me. Did our forefathers fight and die so that we would not be able to pay for our doctor visits with our own money? I can't wait until the whole stinking mess is thrown out by the Supreme Court.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
New rules will make health insurance easier to understand

Sure but, who is going to monitor the insurance companies? The government?

All you Need to Know about Government Bureaucracy:

** Pythagorean theorem:.......................................... ..........24 words.
** Lord's prayer:........................................... ...........................66 words.
** Archimedes' Principle:........................................ ...............67 words.
** 10 Commandments:..................................... ...................179 words.
** Gettysburg address:.......................................... .............286 words.
** Declaration of Independence :.........................................1,300 words.
** US Constitution with all 27 Amendments:.........................7,818 words.
** US Government regulations on sale of cabbage:….......26,911 words.

SORT OF PUTS THINGS INTO PROPER PERSPECTIVE, DOESN'T IT?????

But as it is frequently said, the devil is in the details.

And then we have the Tax Code.

"By the way, if you go to the US Government Printing Office ( www.gpo.gov ), you can order a complete set of Title 26 of the US Code of Federal Regulations (that's the part written by the IRS), all twenty volumes of it, at the bargain price of $974, shipping included. According to the US Government Printing Office, it's 13,458 pages in total. The full text of Title 26 of the United States Code (the part written by Congress--available for an additional $179) is a mere 3,387 printed pages, bringing the adjusted gross page count to 16,845."
How Long is the US Tax Code?

And lastly who is going to read them? Not the dems, "We have to pass it so we can find out what is in it"

Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 8,834 times
It seems that most of these comments are for/against Obamacare instead of the actual proposed regulation. Most employers receive similar documents when they are quoted medical insurance for their employees. It would not be too difficult to change the marketing materials from whatever is current to something containing information the insurance companies already know. I saw a mock-up of the forms and they provide information on costs from premium to out of picket deductibles to co-pays. The purpose is to allow families to compare depth of coverage to costs. The same thing that employers do when they market med insurance. I think it's a good idea given the new exchanges. People will be able to compare costs and coverage of the various plans before purchasing them.

As far as the mandate, if it is struck down but the rest of the bill stays, medical costs will skyrocket for everyone in the next ten years. Guarantee issue of ins without regard to pre-existing conditions is a recipe for disaster.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:24 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abella30 View Post
As far as the mandate, if it is struck down but the rest of the bill stays, medical costs will skyrocket for everyone in the next ten years. Guarantee issue of ins without regard to pre-existing conditions is a recipe for disaster.
Agreed.

During the discussions leading up to the passage of the Affordable Care Act, many people expressed - in one way or another - their envy of the health insurance plans available to Members of Congress; i.e., the "Cadillac" plans.

1. These plans, that Members of Congress can choose from and can change from one year to the next if they want to, are the same plans available to all federal employees and retirees. They are described here: Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan.

2. These plans are an example of employer-based health care insurance, with the employer picking up part of the cost of premiums, and the employee/retiree picking up the remainder.

3. These plans are offered by private companies (Blue Cross, Aetna, Humana, etc.).

4. For both employees and retirees, there are no exclusions or waiting periods for pre-existing conditions in any of the plans.

Federal employees and retirees do not have to participate in FEHB, but it's relatively rare that they don't. And it's because so many of them do, and start when they are young and relatively healthy, that the insurance companies can afford to extend their insurance even to those with pre-existing conditions.

That's what makes the individual mandate so important in making the Affordable Care Act work. Offering coverage to those with pre-existing conditions is far more manageable financially for insurance companies if they have a sufficient number of people enrolled who, more likely than not, will not be requiring medical care as often or as costly as those with pre-existing conditions might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies