Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:09 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,881,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But American Axle in recent years went through a wrenching period, marked by an 87-day day strike in early 2008. It ended up closing its Buffalo and Tonawanda operations. Workers criticized the company for shifting more of its operations out of the country -- complaints the UAW repeated this week.
Who can blame them for shutting down?

Why should they tolerate the business being held hostage by union goons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Allowing the "Free Trade" really has been a devastating to the American economy as losing a major war. A steel mill scrapped because Korean steel is cheaper is just a destroyed as if it were bombed by terrorists. We need to wake up to the fact that our trading "partners" are our competitors and NOT our friends. They would be just as happy if we went away commercially so long as we paid for their defense against their enemies. Time to say Fair prices or you pay for your own defense.

We need FAIR Trade, not unfair trade that is robbing us of any semblance of previous prosperity. I would rather the Union workers, along with most of the rest of us, be the winners. The executives, stockholders and bankers have already stolen enough.

We don't agree on much, but I see common ground here, Greg!
Evidently, we are coming around to the same goal for the USA, because it won't let me rep you. I have to spread it.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
The UAW, in a statement prior to the shutdown announcement, contended American Axle "demanded more money and benefits from workers, who have already taken concessions but were willing to negotiate a contract that helps keep jobs in the community."
it's interesting to me how the union's position is that American Axle is the one demanding money and benefits from the workers -- rather than the reality, which is obviously the other way around.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times
Why should the workers be held hostage by the company thieves? We will need Unions so long as working for some company or another is the only way for most of us to make a living. Now if everyone were made a stockholder and shared all the profits of American industry and were not coerced into having to work we would not need unions to prevent worker exploitation. Then the companies would really have to pay to get some of the jobs done. After all how many annuity hippies are willing to work in a steel mill or a coal mine at survival wages?

Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The one thing Donald Trump is dead on target about!!!

Agreed.

Selling anything in the US is a privilege to be earned.

Unfortunately, this privilege is currently earned by supporting the prevailing party's candidates.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:18 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,989,568 times
Quote:
I prefer countervailing tariffs to eliminate the price advantage created by low wages, dirty environments and government subsidies. "FREE TRADE" is not free. It costs far too many their living while making far too few ever wealthier.

In the case of this business I would forbid importing any of their goods. They want to build overseas let them sell overseas. See how much money they can make in a $1 per hour economy.

These tariffs should apply to all imported manufactured goods. If a foreign company wants to avoid these tariffs they can manufacture their products here. This seems to be working for several automobile companies so why not the rest?
Good point GREGW. any business that wants to locate overseas should have responsibilities for the workers displaced by said decision...an overseas tax or fine subject to our E.P.A. regulations while they move overseas... no laxing regulating our world eco system.

This way the taxpayers get something in return and make those Washington desk pushers to get off their duff's and enforce regs on U.S.BUSINESSES in China.What a great diplomacy tactic to have the U.S. GOVERNMENT protect the Chinese people from the repressive Capitalists.
Besides they get a free ride to live in CHINA get to see the Great Wall,Tianamen Square....

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,881,942 times
All tariffs do is raise the prices of goods.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
In the case of this business I would forbid importing any of their goods. They want to build overseas let them sell overseas. See how much money they can make in a $1 per hour economy.
unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia, Europe, Latin America, etc., would fill the void and buy those cheaper, better products.

Prices in America would skyrocket since there's no more foreign competition, and Americans would be left financing their $65,000 Chevy Silverados for 12 years.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,989,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Japan, Korea, Canada, Australia, Europe, Latin America, etc., would fill the void and buy those cheaper, better products.

Prices in America would skyrocket since there's no more foreign competition, and Americans would be left financing their $65,000 Chevy Silverados for 12 years.
Who makes better products? The crappy Chinese made toxic products...LMAO.Americans always did and always will make the best stuff in the world only if the government gets out of the way.Orange County Choppers is a good example of hard working American pride better than two buses that are black running around the Midwest via MARTHA's Vineyard...

Old 08-19-2011, 07:31 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,665,850 times

Some fools already finance $65,000 cars for 12 years. I just paid $2,500 for a 10 year old Buick that I expect will provide me with 5- 7 years of transportation. Even if it costs me a $1,000 in repairs per year (unlikely) I am way ahead of the automobile game because I do not play by the financier’s rules.

To reiterate our people need countervailing tariffs to maintain our society. We cannot afford open trade with economies that operate polluting government owned industries paying slave wages. We need to restore Fair Trade as soon as we can. Otherwise we are headed for a levelized economy with almost everyone precluded from buying $60,000 cars under any conditions.

With these tariffs and unionized labor a lot of people will be able to buy $20,000 cars and a few the 60k ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies