U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,102,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The yahoo article says no.
The Yahoo claim is misleading. Foreign workers (generalized in the article) do have SS and pay taxes. Even their dependents have to have tax payer ID. However, it may be that the case with those on J-1 visa is different.

Quote:
What do you all think about this quote from a exchange student from China considering China is known for *slave* labor?

“There is no cultural exchange, none, none,” said Zhao Huijiao, a 20-year-old undergraduate in international relations from Dalian, China. “It is just work, work faster, work.”
I would say there is truth to that. Businesses aren't in the business of people's welfare, be it in China or here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM

25,058 posts, read 24,573,309 times
This is rich. I live 35 minutes away from Hershey (and WGAL is Channel 8 here). Why are they employing foreign students I have no idea when there's so many fellow Pennsylvanians in my area that could work there, and already have a home here so they won't have a problem with expenses like these students do

Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 AM

11,717 posts, read 19,229,596 times
On a side note when they say "American culture" I am not sure how you would define that. Live in different parts of America or sometimes even in different parts of a city and you will experience different culture.

For instance, if I were to take in exchange students they would go out target shooting and go to guitar related rock clubs with me since that is what I am into, but other Americans are not.

The yahoo article says some strip clubs tried to hire exchange students....lol

Old 08-19-2011, 11:54 AM

5,794 posts, read 4,660,748 times
Quote:
Foreign students walk off Hershey

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/us...ted=all?src=tp

students, from countries including China, Nigeria, Romania and Ukraine

Thoughts? Are they being whiny or are they justified? Thoughts about companies hiring foreigners so social security and taxes are avoided?
Bye, keep going till you reach your home country.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
On a side note when they say "American culture" I am not sure how you would define that. Live in different parts of America or sometimes even in different parts of a city and you will experience different culture.

For instance, if I were to take in exchange students they would go out target shooting and go to guitar related rock clubs with me since that is what I am into, but other Americans are not.

Youtube has lots of videos of people trying to speak with an "American" accent. What is an American accent? There's different ones throughout the country that's like saying I love the British accent. Well, which one? There's like 20!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM

16,546 posts, read 12,101,641 times
Quote:

You can take me as an exchange student any day of the week! Target shooting and rock guitars are right up my alley as well!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM

41,478 posts, read 53,765,984 times
Check out my posts on the American Axle thread. What is with these companies drive to impoverish workers for the company's benefit? That is the attitude of a slaver and should not be accepted anywhere in the USA.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM

11,717 posts, read 19,229,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Bye, keep going till you reach your home country.

I am not very informed on exchange programs. I assume American students go overseas also? I wonder what conditions they are met with and their impressions when returning home. I wonder if these students are told one thing on the conditions of what they will experience but actually find out something different such as there will be others things about the program like educational activities other than working?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,301,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If American interns are willing to do it who are you to say it's wrong?
The American interns are deliberately mislead about the Disney work programs as much as the foreign workers are about Hershey's, so corporations like Disney and Hershey's can employ legal cheap labor.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
Each year at Disney World, thousands of interns earn academic credit for flipping burgers or parking cars. Ross Perlin learns about vague assignments, long hours, and the meaning of the phrase "protein spill."

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check out my posts on the American Axle thread. What is with these companies drive to impoverish workers for the company's benefit? That is the attitude of a slaver and should not be accepted anywhere in the USA.
That's what happens when you don't have tariffs with ALL nations, plain and simple. Also, the culture is different. Germany's and Japan's success is because their companies compete on quality, not price. American companies compete on price, not necessarily quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies