Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:12 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's what happens when you don't have tariffs with ALL nations, plain and simple. Also, the culture is different. Germany's and Japan's success is because their companies compete on quality, not price. American companies compete on price, not necessarily quality.
That is correct! We are creating our own problem by treating SOME nations as preferred trade partners and not adding tariffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 12:13 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Good! It will cost Hershey lots of money to learn a hard economic lesson of supply/demand.
Why do you think it will cost Hershey lots of money?

The job pays what the work is worth.

If they don't like it, go home.

I am sure there are many out of work Americans that can use the work.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:18 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The American interns are deliberately mislead about the Disney work programs as much as the foreign workers are about Hershey's, so corporations like Disney and Hershey's can employ legal cheap labor.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
Each year at Disney World, thousands of interns earn academic credit for flipping burgers or parking cars. Ross Perlin learns about vague assignments, long hours, and the meaning of the phrase "protein spill."
I don't think companies like Disney and Hershey make the rules. As I read the article the State Dept. runs the program and is responsible for informing prospective workers the skinny.

Always with the anti-business rhetoric.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Youtube has lots of videos of people trying to speak with an "American" accent. What is an American accent? There's different ones throughout the country that's like saying I love the British accent. Well, which one? There's like 20!
Any accent that originated in the USA. Northeast, South, Midwest, West etc, all regional and state accent are American.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why do you think it will cost Hershey lots of money?

The job pays what the work is worth.

If they don't like it, go home.

I am sure there are many out of work Americans that can use the work.
It will cost Hershey a lot of money in unexpected downtime at the factory and to re-train new employees. It's all about supply/demand. If the workers were underpaid according to prevailing market rates, they will leave enmasse just as they did. Sometimes it's more cost effective to pay a little more than to get spanked economically.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:15 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The yahoo article says no.

What do you all think about this quote from a exchange student from China considering China is known for *slave* labor?

“There is no cultural exchange, none, none,” said Zhao Huijiao, a 20-year-old undergraduate in international relations from Dalian, China. “It is just work, work faster, work.”
Welcome to America, ass-hole. We didn't become the most productive nation in the history of the earth through lazy, entitled immigrants like yourself. Get off your ass and get back to work. That's what we do here, and have done so for 200+ years. Dont' like it? Leave. We'll even help you pack.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They do pay both SS and taxes.

From the OPs link:

Quote:
About 150,000 J-1 visas were given out in 2008. Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.
Which begs the obvious question. WITF is wrong with our government when they set up rules that FAVOR non-US citizens when we have a 9%+ unemployement rate?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Check out my posts on the American Axle thread. What is with these companies drive to impoverish workers for the company's benefit? That is the attitude of a slaver and should not be accepted anywhere in the USA.
With this attitude ,every manufacture in the USA will leave for foreign shores . The company is in it to make a profit,not support your lifestyle .There's a reason why India,China and other countries have american jobs now and we don't .Cheap labor and low wages,lower standard of living .

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
I'm all about maximizing profit. Hershey has to realize however that surrendering their Pennsylvania tradition will cost them dollars from bad PR. One of the reasons that many people I know used to travel from afar to their theme park was because of their rich tradition. Offshore that, and I believe they'll see a decline in profit. This debacle will set them back in my estimation as well. It's Hershey's business to pay what it wants, just as it is the business of workers to walk away if working there isn't economically feasible.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:45 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
While Hershey will take the PR hit on this technically according to the report it is another company called Exel that packs the candy that these kids were working for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies