Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

.....on Foreign Policy? Would they be on the Globalists side or the United States side and why?

For example would you keep the wars going?

Would you allow one sided "Free Trade" (so called) agreements to continue.

How would your postion impact and improve other issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Ok. I'll start. I would bring the troops home which would have the following advantages: A) end the wars; B) go a long ways towards getting the country OUT OF DEBT; C) improve our DEFENSE and HOMELAND Security since our troops would be at HOME finally. D) Improve morale E) Reduce our overhead costs so that we could LOWER TAXES for
everyone.

On "Free Trade" since it really never has been "free trade", I'd RENEGOTIATE those agreements to end the incentives for corporations to locate abroad which would mean HUGE OVERHAUL and REDUCTION of business regulations created since the 1970's when we started falling behind.

The overhaul of the business regulations would spark a new beginning in manufacturing and job growth and prosperity in our country.

Oh and needless to say, the Patriot Act would have to be REPEALED. That goes without saying. We need our FREEDOM to be able to do this.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
With the federal deficit running in the trillions, I would ...

1) Pull out of Afghanistan & Iraq immediately. How much money have we given Iraq to rebuild already ? Does anyone really think that Afghanistan will move to democracy when we leave or return to tribal warfare ? We need to stop being the world's police force and take care of things at home.

2) Bring manufacturing jobs back to the States and stop outsourcing. Slap huge import taxes on goods imported to the U.S. Force U.S.-based companies to stop operating overseas, which will mean higher prices for goods here. Reduce credit offerings to consumers here so that people might actually have to save up for goods and keep them longer b/c they paid more.

3) Levy substantial fines to all companies operating in the U.S. that use illegal immigrants. Put Americans back to work. Give illegal immigrants a work-visa program that would make them employable with a finite end date.

4) Invest heavily in non-oil related energy solutions to reduce dependence on foreign oil.

5) Increase staffing in the fraud divisions of social programs such as welfare and food stamps to root out violators.

6) Stop the space program until the deficit is reduced substantially.

7) Take the money saved from the world police effort and dump it into education and health care with the emphasis on improving education to the point where we are the world's leader. Bring the healing back to the medical profession and eliminate the stealing from increased pharmaceutical costs and astronomical insurance premiums.

8) Mandate that all states have hands-free driving laws.

9) Appoint a special committee to reform the legal system to eliminate frivolous lawsuits that end up causing taxpayers billions of $$$ in court costs and higher insurance premiums.

These are just few general positions I would adopt and I'm sure I can think of a lot more ...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:35 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
It's very important to note that I have no illusions that the President controls the nation. He doesn't. He doesn't get to pass laws. He doesn't even get to originate them. All he can do is make suggestions and hope everyone listens.

1.) ".....on Foreign Policy? Would they be on the Globalists side or the United States side and why?"
Globalism is killing us. I would probably do something like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
A.) Toss the existing corporate tax code and all credits in the garbage and start over.
B.) Start at a flat 25% for all corporations. If their corporate headquarters is in the USA, Japan, Germany, Switzerland, China, South Africa or Antartica, they all start out with the same flat 25% corporate tax rate and they are not treated any differently. 25% of your profits made from selling your crap in the USA is what you pay, with the following two adjustments.
C.) Adjustment for outsourcing your workforce to other countries. Made 100% in the USA? Tech support 100% in the USA? Are all your parts made in the USA? The USA will now reward you for doing the right thing as follows:
-- 50% or more of their workforce outsourced to other nations, add 15% to their tax rate.
-- 30% and 40% of their workforce outsourced to other nations add 12% to their tax rate.
-- 20% and 30% of their workforce outsourced to other nations add 10% to their tax rate.
-- 10% and 20% of their workforce outsourced to other nations, add 5% to their tax rate.
-- If between 5% and 10% of their workforce outsourced their tax rate is unchanged.
-- Under 5% of workforce outsourced, subtract 5% from the corporate tax rate.
-- Any corporation with 0% workforce outsourced to foreign nations subtracts 10% from their corporate tax rate.
D.) Adjustment for CEO salary (or highest paid employee whoever that is) vs the lowest paid company employee. CEO salary = Pay + stock options + anything at all the company gives him for working for them, minus any money they re-invest in growing and expanding the company in the USA.
-- If the CEO makes 1000+ times as much as the lowest paid employee, add 10% to their tax rate.
-- If the CEO makes 250 to 1000 times as much, add 8% to their tax rate.
-- If the CEO makes 100 to 250 times as much add 5% to their tax rate.
-- If the CEO makes 50 to 100 times as much, tax rate is unchanged
-- If the CEO makes between 20 to 50 times as much, their tax rate is unchanged.
-- If the CEO makes 10 to 20 times as much or less, subtract 5% from their corporate tax rate.
-- If the CEO makes less than 10 times as much subtract 10% from their tax rate.

Companies willing to go with a 100% US work force and 100% made in the USA that who aren't paying insanely high wages to their top exec can end up with a 5% tax rate.

Companies whose workforce is mostly overseas and who pay exorbiant wages to their CEO while tossing peanuts to their workforce end up paying 50% in corporate taxes.

Immediate result: Small businesses, most of whom are already doing everything it takes to get down to that 5% tax rate will flourish. All the companies who have been selling out the American middle class will have very good motivation to hire in the USA rather than India and China. If they do not, others will and anyone qualifying for the 5% mark in any given industry will be able to sell their goods for much lower prices. The folks stuck at 50% will have to decide if it's really and truly worth their while to make everything in China and pay their CEO $50 million. CEO's are the single most over-rated job in corporate America, it is the workers who make or break your business.
Individual taxes, once again, dump what we have currently, then institute a flat sales tax of somewhere between 15% and 20% -- and hopefully shrink the amount of taxation over time. We need a simplified tax system, the one we have now is a mess.

I'd seriously consider the idea of categorizing some things as luxury items that would be subject to a higher sales tax %. Case in point, if you spent over $100,000 on a car or over $1 million on a house, you'd pay a higher sales tax on that -- perhaps add 10%. But this bit is still a bit rough and for the most part, I'd just like to keep it simpler. Adding rules to a fair tax means making it complicated, especially over time. But I do recognize that wealthier individuals can afford to pay a little more tax than everyone else.

2.) "For example would you keep the wars going?"
In the words of Ron Paul, "Just leave." Get out now. Get out ASAP. And start pulling troops scatter elsewhere back home too. The world doesn't need us to play cops and robbers with our military machine. Best to focus on a lean, small but efficient military that can be brought back up to war-time strength very, very quickly.

3.) "Would you allow one sided "Free Trade" (so called) agreements to continue."
I would let answer number 1 take care of that. If people want to price their goods competitively in the USA, they'll want to make them here. If the don't or can't, they'll just have to live with selling their crap for higher prices.

4.) How would your postion impact and improve other issues?
One thing that is desperately needed is a major overhaul of our judicial system. The Supreme Court keeps handing itself more and more power by ruling on issues that are not even hinted at in the Constitution. And the entire system is just flat out screwed up.

End the war on drugs and create "safe haven" designated areas where those wishing to partake of illicit drugs may do so legally. The hope is to avoid a person taking a drug of whatever sort, having it severely inhibit their ability to drive (or create other highly dangerous scenarios). If you know where the people doing the drugs are, you can keep an eye on them -- for their own health's sake as well. Tax the crap out of illicit drugs and use the proceeds to pay for rehab, etc.

Illegal immigration: We don't have a prayer of finding all of them. So ...
a.) Build a better wall/fence between the USA and Mexico.
b.) Grant illegals already here an accelerated path to citizenship.
c.) Take everyone waiting in line for citizenship that qualifies and just make them US citizens now. This way the illegals aren't cutting in line in front of them because they're getting their citizenship first.
d.) Make it a lot simpler to become a naturalized citizen of the United States. As long as there are people desperately trying to get here, they will get here no matter how hard you try to stop them. The "front gate" into the USA is to narrow and it just perpetuates the problem of saying "screw it" and going around by sneaking in. How about making sure that the only people that have to sneak into this country are the ones we really, really don't want? People like terrorists, etc.
e.) Did I mention that they'd now get to pay taxes? If the fair tax system were to fail to make it through Congress, at least by having the illegals become citizens, we'd be able to tax their income. But a fair tax system would take care of that for you of course.

I would try to get a sane solution to the abortion issue. There are extreme examples where a girl or woman is raped or her life is in danger, but the vast majority of cases abortion is only being used as after-the-fact birth control. Meanwhile there are many thousands of couples out there who want to adopt who can't because the babies they would have adopted are being killed. It's such a volatile issue and one that I have very strong opinions on, but I doubt I'd get anywhere with it. I'd at least like to put the choice back in the hands of the States. This is perhaps the most blatant example of the US Supreme Court usurping authority they never had a right to usurp.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:43 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Assuming I was planning to win I'd just promise free stuff for everyone. People are obviously gullible enough to fall for that one every single time.

Then my reign of tyranny would begin and I'd enslave you all for 1000 years. You'd happily go for it too because I offered you free stuff.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
.....on Foreign Policy? Would they be on the Globalists side or the United States side and why?

How would your position impact and improve other issues?
"A people free to choose, will always choose peace."

~Reagan~

Old 08-20-2011, 03:02 AM

321 posts, read 362,856 times
-Leave The Middle East by the end of this year.

-Implement The Fair Tax- google it. This will harvest revenue from more sources like drug dealers, illegals, that are not paying income tax now.

-Secure the Border, put troops on the border and the ports.

-Entitlement reform

-Repeal Obamacare and pass tort reform, interstate healthcare competition, wave pre-exisiting conditions and offer tax credits for them

Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
I would never seek the presidency, under the current state of emergency, bankruptcy, and submission to international financial powers. But if asked to become Dictator, I would probably support this agenda:

Ozmirage, Emerald City of Dreams : Call me Dr Evil Dictator (http://www.ozmirage.org/anic/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=6 - broken link)

Old 08-21-2011, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

How would your postion impact and improve other issues?
the very first thing i would do if i were elected president is secure the borders. i would shut off as many routes that illegal immigrants use to cross the border.

i would then pull troops back home as much as possible according to the treaties we have with our allies. as for the wars, since iraq is essentially done, i would finish pulling all troops out, with the exception of a small garrison of marines to guard the embassy.

in afghanistan, i would pull all regular troops out, and leave a few teams of special forces to train afghan troops, but they would also be pulled out with in a year after the regulars had been pulled out, that is plenty of time to train afghan troops to handle their countries security.

i would end combat operations in libya, though i would keep the sixth fleet in the med to maintain open shipping lanes, and to act as supply lines for our allies who are prosecuting the libyan operation.

as for trade agreements, i would end any one way free trade agreements, and reset them to where tariffs are equal. for instance if china has a 20% tariff on tires we send to their country, any tires that come from china would also have a 20% tariff. same with all other tariffs.

i would make it easier and more profitable for both US and foreign companies to do business in the US, through eliminating excessive regulations and simplifying the tax code to make it less expensive to comply with the tax code. for individuals the same thing, the tax code would be simplified and taxes reduced. however many tax deductions would either be eliminated or substantially reduced. for instance the mortgage deduction. if you have a house that costs more than say $300,000 you wont get a mortgage deduction.

i would push for the repeal and replacement of the obamacare law, and the dodd-frank financial reform law. i would make it easier to get health insurance at lower rates than we have now by allowing real competition, eliminating virtually all government mandates so that insurance companies can come up with products that make sense for everyone. i would reinstate the glass-steagel act and reign in fannie and freddie as well as reforming both companies. i would also reign in the federal reserve, and audit them.

as for illegals that are already here, they would be dealt with on a case by case basis, but only AFTER the borders were properly secured.

as for social security, medicare, and medicaid, as well as all welfare programs, they would all have to be reformed so that they would provide decent benefits, but be much less costly to maintain. for instance no more free health care anywhere, unless you are truly indigent. if you have an income, you should be paying a small monthly fee, as well as a copay for medical services. this would end people using emergency rooms as doctors offices, or at least substantially reduce that problem. the issues of waste and fraud in these systems would be addressed as well, with people committing such fraud either having to repay all benefits they received by fraud, or go to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies