Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Nice way to avoid answering the question directed to you.

I am not prone to raving hostility. You will need to take a different tack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
Who said I was an Obama fan? Nobody. Did I vote for him? Yes. Does that make me a fan? No. The day that McCain picked that wackadoo Palin for his running mate sealed my vote.

What's so interesting about this book which I'm sure is just one of thousands that the man has read? The answer: nothing but the title which you're using as basis for your hair brained idea that Obama is somehow un-American and "pals around with terrorists."
Please, tell me where I stated anywhere in this thread that Obama is un-American and "pals around with terrorists". I'll be waiting. Since you're a little slow on the uptake, I'll reiterate: I posted the picture so that people can draw their own conclusions from it, and in no way did I attempt to influence anyone's opinion about the picture itself or what it might mean. My ONLY responsibility is in ensuring the picture was authentic and not some photoshopped propaganda. If you have a problem with the picture, take it up with the photographer.

Don't worry, self proclaimed Obama fan or not, we all know you'll be checking that Obama-Biden box again come Nov. 2012.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Perhaps Obama is educating himself on this issue so that he can prevent this from happening.

Anyone who believes Obama wants to further the trends this book describes just because he is reading about them, is practicing McCarthyism.
That's just what I was thinking. He's probably... you know... educating himself on what some prognosticators and analysts might be thinking. A world leader needs to know about geopolitical trends.

I am sure that for the OP, if McCain were president and read a book titled "The Rise of the Modern Islamic Caliphate", you'd say he was being prudent. And if Obama were reading the same book, you'd say he was planning to ally with radical Islamists and trample the Constitution with Sharia law.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The picture checks out as a real photo, not photoshopped. I always find it interesting to see what people choose for their reading material. I find this picture to be quite telling....
There is a difference of reading a book written by people who may not like the US and reading a book while people who do not like the US attack us!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The issue isn't the author.

The issue is the obvious gaping holes in the vision of a president who would read such a book.

Would Reagan read such a book?

No.

He believed in American exceptionalism.

He believed our God-given freedoms enumerated by the Constitution ensured that our culture would always be superior to all others.
Do you suppose Ronald Reagan never read "Das Kapital"?

Do you think Reagan would never read something he disagreed with? Or didn't know about, and merely the title would turn him away from it? People who won't bother to read a book just because of the title are pretty intellectually limited. That sounds more like George W. Bush's renowned incuriosity; a person who can't be bothered to explore outside one's boundaries of what they already know and think.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 AM

About the book: "Zakaria describes with equal prescience a world in which the United States will no longer dominate the global economy, orchestrate geopolitics, or overwhelm cultures. He sees the "rise of the rest"—the growth of countries like China, India, Brazil, Russia, and many others—as the great story of our time, and one that will reshape the world. The tallest buildings, biggest dams, largest-selling movies, and most advanced cell phones are all being built outside the United States. [b]This economic growth is producing political confidence, national pride, and potentially international problems. How should the United States understand and thrive in this rapidly changing international climate?

For the OP, and it seems the typical conservative, that last bolded bit is inconsequential to be prepared for. Knowledge is dangerous! "How should we deal with it? Uh.... bomb them?"

Old 08-20-2011, 11:40 AM

852 posts, read 1,357,412 times
Quote:
Please, tell me where I stated anywhere in this thread that Obama is un-American and "pals around with terrorists". I'll be waiting. Since you're a little slow on the uptake, I'll reiterate: I posted the picture so that people can draw their own conclusions from it, and in no way did I attempt to influence anyone's opinion about the picture itself or what it might mean. My ONLY responsibility is in ensuring the picture was authentic and not some photoshopped propaganda. If you have a problem with the picture, take it up with the photographer.

Don't worry, self proclaimed Obama fan or not, we all know you'll be checking that Obama-Biden box again come Nov. 2012.
Have you posted pictures of the president holding books other The Post-American World? If not, I think the intent of your post is obvious.

You're right, I will check Obama/Biden in 2012 if the GOP candidate is somebody other than Romney or Huntsman. Unfortunately, that won't happen since they can't accept a Mormon as a President (or somebody that's even remotely moderate).

Old 08-20-2011, 11:47 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
Have you posted pictures of the president holding books other The Post-American World? If not, I think the intent of your post is obvious.

You're right, I will check Obama/Biden in 2012 if the GOP candidate is somebody other than Romney or Huntsman. Unfortunately, that won't happen since they can't accept a Mormon as a President (or somebody that's even remotely moderate).
You enjoy assigning intent to others' actions, I'm gathering. Feel free to post pictures of Obama holding whatever books you want. My posts don't have to be "balanced". If you feel this picture reflects negatively upon the president, oh well. I'm not here to defend him or his choice of reading material.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:46 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
The picture checks out as a real photo, not photoshopped. I always find it interesting to see what people choose for their reading material. I find this picture to be quite telling....
What's telling about it?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I'm struggling with the idea that certain posters seem to think there are books we shouldn't read. Is this really the point the OP trying to make here? If so, the OP is a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies