Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
In other words, your business plan stinks.
In other words, you have no way to defend the policies of this President, so you attempt to attack those who make this economy run, right? Yep...you're definitely a Barack Obama supporter. That much is evident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:48 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,037,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Thank you for your posts, but you've read into it wrong.

I have intentionally left out details of my business plan for obvious reasons, which is probably why you came to certain conclusions in your earlier post. Without rehashing everything you said, I disagree with several points, especially about my competition. I'll just say you're wrong, and leave it at that.

Nowhere have I said that I needed investors. The funding is taken care of. Which sort of gives me the impression that you didn't read the entire OP.

You said:
"5) Credit. Access to the capital markets is very limited, to say the least. What has this government done to make sure that us business owners have what we need to succeed? Nothing to speak of, which could hinder my ability to expand."

You need CREDIT. Isn't that Money? Where do you get the Credit from - a bank or private investors.

Is what you are saying that you have what you need for the initial investment, but then don't have the cash to keep the business running for X months or years as it is starting up? As you well know, it is critical to have that. Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but that sounds like "investors" to me - someone with confidence enough in the future of your business to let you write checks on their account.

Many businesses are succeeding. Many are failing. Big & Small. The key is to do what needs to be done to adapt to ever changing conditions. SOmeone who just sits idly by and watches as things change, bemoaning "the way it is" is probably going to fail.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:52 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Probably best to divest in fru fru service businesses since that's all that seems profitable under this administration. $$$ for establishing a "green energy" front is pretty much dried up because of forced budget constraints.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:02 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,394,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It is negativity, such as is displayed in this post, that is the real destroyer of small business!
Here are the specific ways that Obama and the Democrats have unduly burdened the economy:

1. Dodd-Frank Deflect Blame From Us Act: My business uses its office building as collateral on a credit line. The limit on the credit line is worth less than half what the building would sell for, any day of any week. Dodd-Frank requires the bank to obtain a commercial appraisal annually at my expense, $400-$700, and hire an expert to appraise the appraisers and the appraisals that is separate and distinct from the loan staff. The cost of the expert will be added in to the interest rate or billed out as an extra loan fee. The bank has numerous other duties and obligations under Dodd Frank that will raise its costs and do nothing for its safety and soundness. We are talking about a locally owned, strong, main street small town bank that is operated by its shareholders. Dodd Frank screwed the bank and every customer. (By the way, the bank's answer in my case will be to forget having collateral and make the loan on an unsecured basis. Dodd Frank puts the bank in a weaker position, so it is totally counterproductive.)

2. EPA expansion of the Clean Air Act. Liberals must think electricity grows on trees, too, right next to the money trees, since they believe we can afford to mothball 20% of our electricity production. This will have no effect on any business or consumer, as long as they do not use any power.

2a. The same rule will CLOSE 10% of the cement plants in the country, so we will import more cement from dirty countries. Loss of capital, loss of jobs, dirtier world. Dems score a trifecta!

2b. The same rule will also close an unknown but significant percentage of industrial plants that use energy.

3. NLRB and Boeing: if you can defend this, you have no business commenting on economic matters.

4. Stifling the domestic energy exploration and production and refining industries, causing the direct loss of at least a hundred thousand jobs, raising the cost of energy for all, with the possible side effect of forcing the Alaska Pipeline to be dismantled. One of the engineering marvels of the 20th century could be chopped up and hauled out in four or five years, since the administration has prevented Alaska exploration onshore and offshore.

5. TOTAL lack of recognition of the importance of the golden goose, the free enterprise system. Skill, work ethic, attitude, habits mean nothing....income and wealth are a matter of luck or greed, according to Obama/Pelosi et al.

6. Obamacare outlaws the single most cost-effective tool that businesses had to fight rising health care costs, high deductible health insurance with health savings accounts to pay routine expenses.

7. Tramplng the rights of owners of business investment in order to make political payoffs to friends. Even Warren Buffett (big Obama lover) voiced concern about the screwing administered to Chrylser's lenders and GM's bondholders. Do Democrats have a clue where the money comes from to build factories and buy equipment and put up buildings?

8. Scapegoating of one profession or industry after another: doctors cut out tonsils unnecessarily in order to make money, bankers wrecked the financial system (remember there are 10,000 banks in the country, and 9,950 of them had nothing to do with the mortgage meltdown), corporate jet owners are starving the orphans, health insurors and pharmaceutical companies are evil, Walmart ought to pay $25 per hour, etc., etc., etc.

9. The uncertainty created by not knowing what these economically illiterate, cycnical morons will propose next. If you are capable of dreaming up #'s 1 through 4 above, there is no limit to the hurt that might be coming.

Other than that, I don't know why people say the president has created a poor environment for business.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:10 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Only for those people who are not smart enough to adapt
Looks like many posters have adapted just fine.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:12 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
In other words, your business plan stinks.
I think the poster is playing his hand smart.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,459,521 times
Quote:
In which part of my statements did you conclude that I expect 100% certainty? There is none. Not sure why you even brought it up.

The fact of the matter is that i'm not risk averse. I have taken plenty of risks with previous businesses, and even a few with this startup. But i'm also not stupid. Most astute businessmen aren't.
These points don't make sense:

Quote:

4) Inflation. The weak economy is putting downward pressures on prices while inflation begins to soar. Profit margins are too thin. It's business suicide.

5) Credit. Access to the capital markets is very limited, to say the least. What has this government done to make sure that us business owners have what we need to succeed? Nothing to speak of, which could hinder my ability to expand.
Inflation is not higher under Obama.

And since when do you want government to intervene? Have you ever heard of private investors?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,874,903 times
Quote:
Over the last 18 months I have worked diligently on my next business venture, putting blood, sweat, and tears into the business plan. I have identified what I believe is a glaring gap in the market segment into which I seek to operate, and I am confident that I will be successful.

What i'm not confident about is the business climate in this nation. This, of course, is not unique to me, as it as been stated quite clearly since Barack Obama took office that this Administration is a roadblock to business creation, and subsequently the jobs that accommodate business growth.

Here's why I am holding out:

1) I have no confidence in the economic policies of this Administration. I shouldn't have to elaborate on this point, as we all know the disaster that has evolved in the White House over the past 2.5 years. Any President who specifically states that he plans to bankrupt a private industry is not a supporter of business. There's no other conclusion that can be drawn.

2) Capital expenditures are too risky. Why should I purchase and/or expand facilities when the return on investment is far from calculable? Why should I purchase inventory and equipment when expectations for future sales and growth are far from certain?

3) If my competitors are liquidating, thats an indicator that revenues are down and profits are in jeopardy. I don't mind taking risks, but if the writing is on the wall, then I don't intentionally go and bang my head on that wall and expect to come away with a different outcome.

4) Inflation. The weak economy is putting downward pressures on prices while inflation begins to soar. Profit margins are too thin. It's business suicide.

5) Credit. Access to the capital markets is very limited, to say the least. What has this government done to make sure that us business owners have what we need to succeed? Nothing to speak of, which could hinder my ability to expand.

If this Administration had an inkling of business experience, it would know that it needs to get out of the way and let the engine of this economy (small businesses) take over. But instead we have a complete and total Loss of Confidence, which is all it takes to crush business aspiration.

My business plan will stay on the back burner until this President and his anti-business minions are gone for good. I surmise that i'm not the only one with this plan.
People like you, small businessmen and like-minded consumers are totally alien to this administration and it's leftist supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
These points don't make sense:

Of course they don't...to you.

Inflation is not higher under Obama.

Holy-moly, where DO you get your news? EVERYTHING is higher under obamanomics.

And since when do you want government to intervene? Have you ever heard of private investors?
Government to get out of the way - his regulatory regime is killing jobs.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,459,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
People like you, small businessmen and like-minded consumers are totally alien to this administration and it's leftist supporters.
Inflation is highest under Obama?

Government doesn't forbid private investors. Why can't the OP get private investment?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:
Well...one things for sure. If it's a lemonade stand that i'm planning, then it will be one more lemonade stand than Barack Obama has ever ran!
The Failed Corporate Record of George W. Bush

Bush made lemons out of lemonade............many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies