Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
When your business is as successful as his, the company might take your advice.
My bad. I forgot to say "in before 'you're just jealous' or 'he's so successful he doesn't have to listen to you'". I'm working on my preemptive chess game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:16 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Why take the risk with such little reward?

because he believes in it with his heart and soul and is willing to say so publicly. it is called standing up for your principles. he is doing just that.

Good for him. It's just a big gamble. I believe the amount he loses over this kind of message is exactly proportional to the amount of coverage it gets. He might get a few new rabid anti-gun customers out of the mix, but I think he stands to lose a lot from back to schoolers' parents.
I doubt seriously as I bet he does that he would lose enough business over it to make much of a dent.
He cares if it costs him $$$. IMHO I believe it would, and higher end clothing is one of the more fungible items in a depressed economy.
he has calculated the risk and is willing to take it. which is his right. doubtful a few thousand back to school moms not buying from ken cole could off set the people who do buy and support his ideals, or the people who buy it because they like it and could care less what he thinks

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
My bad. I forgot to say "in before 'you're just jealous' or 'he's so successful he doesn't have to listen to you'". I'm working on my preemptive chess game.
I never called you jealous, Nice strawman.

I did say that it's odd that an anonymous internetz poster who has tons of time on their hands would give business advice to a company involved in global markets.

Maybe Kenneth Cole will rep you for your thread, or maybe not.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:31 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
It can hurt your business when you put your political/societal views out there. Just look at all the crazy progressives and liberals who went out boycotting Whole Foods because John Mackey dared write an opinion piece about the failings of Obamacare and his opinions on better solutions to our health care crisis. Liberals went bat**** crazy!
Liberals boycotted Whole Foods? Wow I had no idea. Especially living down the street from a Whole Foods in a liberal neighborhood of the very liberal city of Portland, Oregon that is frequently packed with shoppers most of whom are liberals. But I suppose it's like when Bill O'Reilly suggested people boycott Pepsi, because they had a commercial with rapper Ludicrous...

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
That is an illogical stance when it comes to running a business, hence the motivation for the creation of this thread. That and to raise awareness for conservative/libertarian suburbanites who will be buying clothes for their kids this school year.
If I'm not mistaken, Kenneth Cole has only a very small line of footwear for kids, and the bulk of their clothing (shoes and other clothing) are for adults. The number of sales lost to parents refusing to buy their kids something from KC due to this would be miniscule.

As for adults, I doubt it will have a significant impact on the market of people who buy from KC.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I never called you jealous, Nice strawman.

I did say that it's odd that an anonymous internetz poster who has tons of time on their hands would give business advice to a company involved in global markets.

Maybe Kenneth Cole will rep you for your thread, or maybe not.
I bet Kenneth Cole thought the real estate bubble would last forever too.

As Don Lapre demonstrated, it doesn't take a whole lot of brains to become a millionaire.

Oh, and:

http://ycharts.com/companies/KCP/eps_ttm#zoom=10 (broken link)

Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
kenneth has a right to free speech, he also has a right to run his business as he wants
Agree.

I also have the right not to patronize his business
for said political positions.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Kenneth Cole is losing money (negative EPS for 2 years), his shares are valued at 30% of the peak of 2004 when people were tapping into their home equity to buy his overpriced threads. He's taking a leap of faith and shooting in the dark with this.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:42 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Agree.

I also have the right not to patronize his business
for said political positions.
lol end of thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:44 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
lol end of thread
(Sorry if my post sounded snarky; that wasn't my intent.
I honestly think he can say what he wants,
and also that if I don't like it I just don't buy from him.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies