Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
"Liberal media bias" is a phrase which conservatives hope will become true if they repeat it often enough. In my opinion.

Trouble right here in River City!
Please let us know who in the media shows a conservative bias.

I'll start: Fox News and the Wall Street Journal editorial page.

I'd be very interested to see who you add to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Please let us know who in the media shows a conservative bias.

I'll start: Fox News and the Wall Street Journal editorial page.

I'd be very interested to see who you add to the list.
Jumping in to this very hot topic...

CNN's prime time features Glenn Beck and Nancy Grace. Are they "liberal"? If so, then my head is made of pepper-jack cheese (and is thus edible and quite tasty!)

Factoids about reporters and news organizations:

- a recent accounting of political contributions showed that around 90% of all donations by media reporters went to Democrats, which supports the "liberal bias" accusations...

- all major media outlets are publicly owned corporations that have been consolidating and have a motive to maximize corporate earnings, with primary ownership generally vested in more conservative-leaning executives and share-holders. This pokes some holes in the "liberal bias" theory.

So, what is true? Nothing. That's the whole point. Have a party, invite a lot of conservatives and liberals, serve them copious amounts of alcohol, instigate a fight about media bias, and then sit back and watch the entertainment. THAT is what gets ratings, my friends. All major media sources are now dominated by the ratings game. If you think it's political, then I wouldn't trust you to balance the checkbook of a 10 year old.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
cnn is actually getting better and hiring someone like Glenn Beck was a smart move. I used to never watch them, but now I will at times. There are still times when they go way overboard to the left, but they're definitely better than they used to be.

I haven't watched them in the morning in a long time, are the o'brien twins (miles and soledad) still on? those two were awful and completely twisted to the left. They're why I haven't watched a cnn morning show in years

Old 08-17-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
cnn is actually getting better and hiring someone like Glenn Beck was a smart move. I used to never watch them, but now I will at times. There are still times when they go way overboard to the left, but they're definitely better than they used to be.
Well, at least you're honest. You want your "news" dished out to you by a right-wing spinmeister. And now you get to flip channels between Fox News and CNN during prime time. So.... sounds like you've got choices. As for me, almost all the news I see on major networks is completely unrelated to political viewpoints. I'd like to know where the next hurricane is going, how the stock market is faring, and what Elvis was wearing as he hid among the crowds at his own memorial celebration. Isn't that the type of thing that comprises about 95% of all news anyway? Mostly the Elvis stuff... Toss in the latest Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears gossip, and there you have it --- NEWS!

Old 08-17-2007, 02:13 PM

umm, thanks for telling me what I want...

and FYI, I get my news from all over the place. I can't stand to be tagged as anything and find stereotyping extremely offensive..

I will agree with you that the "celebrity" crap is just that, CRAP. I personally wish they all would just fall off the face of the planet

Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
umm, thanks for telling me what I want...
You're quite welcome. You want to buy my bashed-up Hyundai Santa Fe for 3 times its original value when it was new!

Point taken. Sorry I read too much meaning into your post. When you said CNN was getting "better" and you watch it more, I interpreted that to mean that you want more conservative news. It wasn't too grotesque an interpretation of your comments but I can see how you could have meant that you just wanted to see the variety and not merely a bunch of Glenn Becks. Unless he came in a 6-pack from Germany and didn't have the "Glenn" in the name, but now I'm WAY off-topic...

Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM

well, you are from Austin..

plus you earned some bonus points in other threads, I'm just kinda touchy when it comes to being pinned down as something. I realize I sometimes stereotype as well and would appreciate anyone pointing it out to me.

and I do prefer the more conservative news services, but also realize they have an agenda. That's why I would never get anything all from one place and it's up to me to decide what really happened and how I should take it.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
well, you are from Austin..

...I realize I sometimes stereotype as well and would appreciate anyone pointing it out to me.
Consider yourself pointed out!

Austin stereotypes.... I'm so deeply offended.....

Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 PM

I had to take a jab before confessing to my sins.. it's like that mouse flipping off the eagle thing..

I was pretty surprised the first time I went to Austin though, but then I remembered where I'm from, Ann Arbor, MI.. it's a wee bit left leaning too, go figure.. I love both cities though. San Antonio needs to look closely at Austin and model their downtown after them. It's SO much better looking.. and Ann Arbor is just the best city in the world, period, end of subject and no discussion allowed

Old 08-17-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Ann Arbor is just the best city in the world, period, end of subject and no discussion allowed
I don't obey rules, so I'm about to discuss your comments.

I love Ann Arbor. The central area is so perfect in terms of being pedestrian-friendly, with nice architecture, great residential areas in walking distance, perfect mix of businesses, great restaurants --- what's not to like?

As for the outskirts of town, well, suburbs are suburbs and I'm not fond of any of them anywhere. Literally. I hate suburbs and I've gotten in a lot of hot water on this forum for being anti-suburb because a very large percentage of the US population lives in those locations and they don't cotton to being trash-talked. So.... I humbly apologize for my biased journalism. (How ya like my segue back on topic?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies