Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:05 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
U.S.P.S another government entity that is sooo well run!

I guess what some want to say is that it was all inherited by this community worker/ president and all companies going out of business has only to do with poor management.... Employers not hiring because they are greedy and nothing to do with an expensive health care bill and higher minimum wages, etc...lower costs of abroad labor and lower taxes in some countries..no just a president who is the victim of a Tsunami, earth quake in Japan, and and for adding a 3rd war is all somebody elses fault...

You do realize that USPS has been on the cusp of ruin for years, right??? You do realize that with the increase push to paperless and online billing USPS has become obsolete...I'm sure your aware and you've just mispoke in your attempt to blame this ONE PRESIDENT for the decline of USPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I beg to differ. I am a business owner and we are skeptical on expanding until we know if we will be FORCED to provide all our employees with insurance.
I mentioned this same item to the owner of our company back in 2009 and he said NO, now is the time to strike when our competitors are sitting on their heels. or words to that effect.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Maybe you should rethink your business plan. If it will only work if the stars are aligned just so it's probably not going to last.
What do you mean, rethink our business plan? It's a franchise, the business plan is PROVEN. It's just a matter of it it will yield us enough profit to make it worthwhile.

Let me explain something. We have one restaurant open. We have about 20 employees right now. We just opened in January and are still building our business. We will likely have 25-40 employees total when all is said and done.

If we go to open a second location, which is what you're supposed to do as a franchisee, it will still go under the same LLC. That is one company. If we have another 25-40 employees, that will put us over the 50 employee threshold and require us to provide insurance.

If we are forced to buy insurance for every employee, we may as well just close down. Restaurants can generally get away with charging an arm and a leg but there is no way we could charge enough to have to pay for all that.

Nice try but no cigar.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:15 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I hope you did so legally, or else the IRS will be all over you.
Sure did.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Spoken like a worker bee who has never owned a business.

Best to keep it that way.
Why do you say that? You posted that you yourself made a change in the way you do your business...and you love it. So why is my suggestion to do the same thing something you mock? Silly boy.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What do you mean, rethink our business plan? It's a franchise, the business plan is PROVEN. It's just a matter of it it will yield us enough profit to make it worthwhile.

Let me explain something. We have one restaurant open. We have about 20 employees right now. We just opened in January and are still building our business. We will likely have 25-40 employees total when all is said and done.

If we go to open a second location, which is what you're supposed to do as a franchisee, it will still go under the same LLC. That is one company. If we have another 25-40 employees, that will put us over the 50 employee threshold and require us to provide insurance.

If we are forced to buy insurance for every employee, we may as well just close down. Restaurants can generally get away with charging an arm and a leg but there is no way we could charge enough to have to pay for all that.

Nice try but no cigar.
See Drillers post. All I'm saying is there are ways and there are ways and no matter WHAT someone is going to be successful, even if it's not you.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Those businesses never did have a sustainable competitive advantage. I knew LNT would not make it years ago just by going into their stores. Borders charges more than anybody for CD's, etc. Amazon and Itunes put them out of business. Bennigan's was dirty. Look around the net. There is a long list of restaurant chains that will follow Bennigan's. My money is on Applebee's. In a conversation with my next door neighbor regarding traveling I 10, I said ya know that restaurant you only stop at when you are on the road. It is always dirty. Her 10 year old child said Applebee's.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM

764 posts, read 597,246 times
Borders is a book store, in the age of digital media, that hadn't made a profit since 2006. Good God, quit being so desperate...

Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
The business press and people who actually know something about these companies don't link it in any way to Obama, but don't let the absence of facts stop you, OP. Borders had the worst business model of the three, but all of them failed at their business in some way-- for Linens 'n Things and Bennigan's, it was mostly about a failure to execute, not to mention having nothing in their product or service line to make them stand out against competition. L&T was basically a more boring Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Bennigan's was just another fern bar/factory food restaurant in a market overcrowded with them. Neither of them had anything remotely resembling a unique selling proposition-- no reason to go there, nothing to distinguish them from their competition.

Borders was a dead man walking the first quarter Amazon turned a profit. B&N probably isn't long for this world either, but at least they're being aggressive about fighting back.

I know about these because until very recently, I was a bankruptcy lawyer representing creditors in Chapter 11 cases, and it was part of my job to scrutinize the public filings of all three, to advise clients on whether or not to support their reorganization plans- except for Benningan's, which liquidated right away as I recall. I said no both times, which wasn't hard-- their plans required dump trucks of fairy dust to make them work.

Malls are dying too. Maybe some of you think that's Obama's fault as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
See Drillers post. All I'm saying is there are ways and there are ways and no matter WHAT someone is going to be successful, even if it's not you.
Our alternative would be to open the new restaurant under a different LLC.

Like you said, there are ways and no matter what, people will figure them out to avoid Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies