Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Slightly 'old' news but awful nevertheless. I lived in MoCo for most of my life. Some stats in case you didn't know:

Montgomery County is a very very rich county. It has one of the highest median incomes in the country.

BUT

It's also a very liberal county.

Hmm.
Germantown and Gaithersburg are two shining examples of why culture, rather than poverty and lack of opportunity, is the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
There is double standards both ways, on both sides of the fence. Why? Because the media is no longer about telling the news, it is about selling what they think people want to hear.
^^This is very true^^, these kids see what they do as cool and are revelling in their 'fame'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Playing the race card and blaming those who have nothing to do with the situation does not help.

What would YOU suggest we do to combat this problem?

Maybe we can think of a solution instead of pointing fingers
Well, I would lock the doors. Arrest all of them, charge them with theft, vandalism, whatever else I could find, then make them do community service. I would also make their parents pay for the things they destroyed.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
It's kind of difficult to pin this on socioeconomic disparity when it happens in Montgomery County. By the way, the little thuglets looked like they were well dressed and taken care of from what I could see in the video.

And WTF is with the police officer saying "it will be difficult to prosecute based on this video"??? Many of the thuglets are looking right at the camera!?!?! Find them, arrest them, and prosecute them. Institute custody proceedings against their parents. Put them in orphanages. Do something; this behavior is UNACCEPTABLE.

All that said, these kids KNOW that they can get away with their actions. After all, it's in Montgomery County Maryland, where 90% of the inhabitants are batshlt crazy leftists who will find some way to blame the evil Tea Party for this bit of barbarism.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
So now we have "flash robs" LOL. I can't believe how many people fall for this stuff. There have always been groups of kids robbing candy and chips at stores. Why are you all acting like this stuff is new and is anything other than petty crime and gang activity, which has been around for ages. It is just hilarious to me how people try to put a political spin on something that is not politically based.

I knew kids who did this sort of thing in high school and that was 15 years ago when it was much more prevalent. I also knew gang bangers and it was much more prevalent there as well.

I currently live in Atlanta and this is so funny to me because since I have lived here we have had what is called "smash and grab" robberies where a group of kids smash into a business and steal things. They have even stolen an ATM before. I now hear people talking about how these may be related to "flash mobs" LOL!! It has been going on for years people!! Some people just like to rob stores.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Gonna get much much worse before it gets any better! That police force seems to have the ethic that will result in folks taking the law into their own hands and in the 'lid coming off' in ways they can't even begin to imagine.

Police forces that ignore a problem, simply have to deal with a much bigger one down the road. This is going to get messy!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
A good kid wouldn't be out at 2AM robbing a store. And "bad" people have at times have been considerate, picking up a bag and putting it back on the shelf is nothing. And maybe she was picking it up to see what it was incase she wanted it ? She was there robbing the store to so that is more likely than her just being "nice".

She was establishing an alibi for the police interrogation later.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I'm referring to the text portion of articles. Videos and pictures are not always attatched to an article.
Pictures are and videos are attached to nearly all articles these days. To claim otherwise is ridiculous. Just admit you're wrong and move on please. And ultimately why does the race matter?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Look, so the majority of these flash mobs/robs are currently being done by Black youth.
In the big picture though there is nothing to say it won't spread and be done by upper/middle class White youth.

These types of outbursts usually start at the lower end of the economic scale. This is a warning flag to us folks. Forget color for a moment and think about the economic health of the US and who is suffering more because of it. And I think it will get worse; I don't see a recovery at the end of this tunnel.
It's more like economic inequalities.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Around The Country, Police Can't Handle The New Wave Of Criminal Flash Mobs
Thousands of American youth and young adults this summer have been using social media and cell phones to group up in criminally minded flash mobs.

Having connected mainly online one gang in a 7-11 took less than a minute to form and make off with several hundred dollars worth of stuff.

It's a new form of crime that police, and law enforcement budgets, are not ready to address.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Can not wait for these kids to mess with the wrong guy ... and he pulls out a shot gun and there's a handfull of less thugs in the world.

And they'll be the victims, in this case! That's the world we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies