Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 04:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Not true. "Take off your Jesus glasses." "Put down your Home Decor magazine." Both directed at students. One student is a Christian and believes in the teachings of Christ. The other student is gay and believes in same sex marriage. Classroom history/civics lesson/debates. Very similar scenarios. Either both are allowed or neither allowed. My guess is, this case will be appealed and the student will win in the higher court. Religion is protected under the Constitution. A teacher does not have the right to bully or intimidate a student into silence. A good teacher should be able to present an opposing argument without resorting to such tactics.
From the linked article:

Quote:
Corbett told his students when class began that he would be making provocative statements to stimulate discussion and that they should feel free to disagree with him.

In one lecture, he said the Catholic Church had appealed to the religious beliefs of peasants to get them to oppose an 18th century emperor who was trying to improve their conditions. "When you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth," Corbett said.

While discussing clashes between science and religion in the 16th century, Corbett said there was as much evidence that God created the universe "as there is that there is a giant spaghetti monster living behind the moon who did it." When a student asked him about a conflict with a colleague who wanted to teach creationism, Corbett said he said he had not wanted to let the teacher "propagandize kids with this religious, superstitious nonsense."

Read more: Court won't stop teacher from challenging religion
Where does he "bully or intimidate a student into silence"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I'm confused. Are there different Christians or are Catholics not Christian?
Some sects of Christian Churchs call themselves the first Christian church in that they say they came from the small cells that sprung from the Roman period. I used to know some people who belonged to one of those sects.

Catholics are Christian and there are different Christian churches that use the word in their names.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Go ahead and give those 9th circuit court judges a good tongue-lashing, man.

That'll show 'em.
Why not? The Supreme Court has overturned so many of their fool rulings that it must be about the same thing as chewing their butts for them.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I know they're not all the same, but I don't really care, they all indoctrinate the children in some way. We will be homeschooling, I am thankful that we can do that for her.
Good for you. Wise choice in this day and age.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Put the comment in perspective.

These are high school students.

The teacher is teaching historical facts and challenging the students to think critically.

"In one lecture, he said the Catholic Church had appealed to the religious beliefs of peasants to get them to oppose an 18th century emperor who was trying to improve their conditions. "When you put on your Jesus glasses, you can't see the truth," Corbett said."

I don't see this a "mocking Christianity".

But you read it with your anti-Christian glasses on and that won't allow you to interpret the words as they were spoken.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
From the linked article:

Where does he "bully or intimidate a student into silence"?
Oh, I see. As long as a teacher tells a student ahead of time, that he will be mocking their religion, its okay? Kind of like the 6th grade bully on the playground forewarning the first grader that he'll be waiting for him on the way home...

Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The school has a social media policy. The teacher had students as "friends" on Facebook (how unprofessional is that?) and made some rather extreme angry comments against gay people in a public way.

Apples and elephants.
I have seen apples nearly as large as elephant turds but I have seen elephants have bowel movements. How about you?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If the teacher wanted to "challenge" the students in question by playing "Devil's advocate", it can be done in a respectful manner that is not mockery. And if the teacher wants to play the Devil's advocate, he should play it for both sides of the debate, not just one. Now THAT would truly be "challenging" to the students and would give them something to think about.
You are suggesting just what I did when I had about 1/3 Lutherans, 1/3 Catholics and 1/3 other protestants in my World History classes. I loved to do just what you say when we studied the period when Luther was pitched out of the Catholic church. Both churches held their Catechism classes as the same time so what the kids were told was very fresh on their minds. We had some very heated discussions that way and the kids always left a bit more tolerant than when we started/

This man was showing just what the atheists here would support and nothing else.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why not? The Supreme Court has overturned so many of their fool rulings that it must be about the same thing as chewing their butts for them.
A big ten-four on that.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
A complete and rational answer. Let's see if it is comprehended.
i wonder why that little girl of the lawyer who doesn't like Under God and other Christian things always wins in that 9th Court. Only the one child seems to be hurt by having to use those two hurtful words but that court always comes up with support for her. It appears to me that they do play favorites on many questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies