Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Yet, one teacher is allowed by the courts to continue with his mockery of religion. Yet, another teacher is suspended for his, what you call, "mockery" of same sex marriage. Why the different treatment?
Different treatment because one was reviewed by a court and the other was reviewed by school officials. If the same court reviewed both cases, I'd expect the same outcome, i.e. both have the right to state their respective opinions.

[and if they didn't, I'd be 'disappointed']
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Wow, they hypocrisy of our gov't is astounding. Free speech is okay as long as it's anti-religion, or at least anti-Christian. I'm so glad we're not planning to send our daughter to public school.
Wise decision.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Quote:
"Saying teachers need to be free to discuss controversial subjects, a federal appeals court has dismissed a student's lawsuit against a high school history instructor whose classroom comments poked fun at creationism and religious fundamentalism."
"While teachers discussing issues like religion "must be sensitive to students' personal beliefs," the court said, "teachers must also be given leeway to challenge students to develop their critical thinking skills."

Unbelievable leeway, wouldn't you say? Especially, in light of a recent story (link below) in which a public school teacher was suspended for stating his religious beliefs against same sex marriage, NOT in the classroom, but at his home using his personal computer on his personal FaceBook page on his personal time.

Florida Teacher Suspended For Anti-Gay Marriage Posts On Personal Facebook Page | FoxNews.com

Read more: Court won't stop teacher from challenging religion

Apparently, separation of church and state does not apply when a teacher is mocking religion because teachers should feel free to express themselves however they want and students forced to listen to it. But there no longer exists freedom to express religious opinions in one's personal time/space.
The comments were hilarious and correct, and welcome to a progressive society. 2011 called, and said you're late for the party.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-21-2011 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text for copyright

Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Wow, they hypocrisy of our gov't is astounding. Free speech is okay as long as it's anti-religion, or at least anti-Christian. I'm so glad we're not planning to send our daughter to public school.
Exactly, because there's no difference between a school in California and one in Wisconsin.

You do realize that not all public schools are the same, right?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
"Corbett told his students when class began that he would be making provocative statements to stimulate discussion and that they should feel free to disagree with him."

In the context of the lesson, I see no problem. And yes he could do this with gay marriage or other topics. Has nobody ever heard of "devil's advocate" as an instructional method?

Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
If a teacher is expected to be respectful of gays and minorities, that expectation should also extend to people of faith. The teacher was out of line. No way was she being objective and trying to stimulate the students to think. She wasn't just mocking religion, she was also mocking the students who believe in Christ. That kind of mockery is not acceptable, regardless of what the court said.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Exactly, because there's no difference between a school in California and one in Wisconsin.

You do realize that not all public schools are the same, right?
Safe to say this type of agenda is going on all over the country, even in Wisconsin. Here's an example of an agenda going on in Minnesota which is, like Wisconsin, in the heartland.

The real agenda behind schools' anti-bullying curriculum | StarTribune.com

Minnesota Family Council: Star Tribune spin ignores legitimate concerns regarding "Welcoming Schools"

Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
"Corbett told his students when class began that he would be making provocative statements to stimulate discussion and that they should feel free to disagree with him."

In the context of the lesson, I see no problem. And yes he could do this with gay marriage or other topics. Has nobody ever heard of "devil's advocate" as an instructional method?
Ummmm. Not without incurring the wrath of the ACLU or the immediate implementation of our Federal Faux Anti-Bullying Program, which would necessitate the reprogramming of the entire school district (including students and teachers) into accepting the normality of homosexuality.

Did you read the link to the story of the teacher who is suspended for posting a statement against same sex marriage on his personal Face Book page on his personal home computer in his personal time???

Florida Teacher Suspended For Anti-Gay Marriage Posts On Personal Facebook Page | FoxNews.com

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Safe to say this type of agenda is going on all over the country, even in Wisconsin. Here's an example of an agenda going on in Minnesota which is, like Wisconsin, in the heartland.

Minnesota Family Council: Star Tribune spin ignores legitimate concerns regarding "Welcoming Schools"

How about finding an objective source for your links besides and opinion piece and an advocacy group?

This is not going on all over the country. I doubt you even know anything about how the public schools in your area even work. I doubt you really know any of the teachers, staff or students in your district, but you are certainly good at cherry picking news stories about how awful America's schools are.

I'm a social studies teacher who has worked in public schools for six years in various districts. I am well acquainted with teachers and administrators across Michigan and several more teachers across the country. There is no liberal/atheist/pro-gay conspiracy enveloping the country. Neither I nor any of my colleagues have been approached by administrators about promoting homosexuality or pushing a left wing bias in schools.

Yet I often hear from fundamentalist parents who regularly lecture me, tell me what goes on in our local schools because they read something online from California, Massachusetts, or wherever and assume it's true across the whole country. Yet 99% of the time, these same people know nothing about the schools in their own town. Then when you politely try to explain this to them, they look at me as if I don't know what I'm talking about. The paranoia gets very tiring to listen to.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
How about finding an objective source for your links besides and opinion piece and an advocacy group?
Perhaps you didn't see the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper link I provided. But my guess is you just chose to ignore it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies