Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 12:15 PM

89,013 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How many union workers make minimum wage without benefits?
Both my kids worked as union grocery baggers during their high school years. Low salaries, no benefits because they were part-time employees, and they were forced to pay union dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Union employees don't work at the bottom of the economy. I've never seen any unionized burger flippers.
Thank God!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
hmmmm 2008 the year the dems took over the house.
It was 2006.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Folks like you are basically the enemies of the working class. You believe that people who work low paying jobs are less valuable than high wage earners, and that poor people are all lazy, unemployed pieces of trash.

If poor people were all lazy, the rich would never become rich, because the wealthy make a living on the labor of others. Factory workers, service workers, all those arduous, menial jobs performed by those "less valuable" members you so happily insult.

Do you think a financial trader works harder than someone who paves roads? Why do you value someone who manipulates financial instruments in order to enhance his wealth over someone who produces something of use to virtually everyone in society?
Then why do people work low paying jobs if "anyone" can do "anything" and there is no difference in needed skills?

In other words, why would a guy spend his days doing outside manual labor if he has the ability to sit in a temperature controlled office making much more money?

I have great respect for ANYONE who works for a living, but every job has a value to it.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It was 2006.
Yep. Democrats Pelosi and Reid fast-tracked the US to massive deficit spending and skyrocketing national debt.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Both my kids worked as union grocery baggers during their high school years. Low salaries, no benefits because they were part-time employees, and they were forced to pay union dues.
My son worked for a unionized store for his 1st year out of college.

$8 per hour. No benefits for 1st year. One raise in that year.

Forced to pay union dues.

Now earns $65,000 with a private non unionized store, has full benefits, paid vacation after 6 months and student loan assistance.

EVERY union worker that I know earns less than my friends in the private non union jobs.

Unions have had their time.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:34 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you honestly believe that workers can earn their living WITHOUT using the assets and resources of the wealthy? Or that the labor market DOESN'T value some skillsets more highly than others? You've posted NOTHING to refute either.
No I recognize both of these things. I also recognize the fact that the wealthy rely on labor to make their money, which you have repeatedly avoided.

Quote:

I'm being pragmatic. In other words... living in the real world, not some imaginary world conjured up by overly-coddled liberal whiners.
You say this over and over again, but this is meaningless. I could be like you and say that you live in an imaginary world conjured up by arrogant right-wing free market Ayn Rand aficionados , but I won't, because it's a meaningless dodge.

Quote:
There IS social mobility if one is willing to educate oneself appropriately and work for it. Regardless, none of what you posted makes up for the fact that the liberals' clamoring for a global civilization and a global economy has forced the working class into global wage arbitrage, in which they must compete with overseas workers earning 25 cents per day.
This is downright dishonest. First of all, social mobility in America is declining, and we stack up poorly to other nations.

Understanding Mobility in America

The "global civilization" you keep attributing to liberalism is far more associated with capitalism and the growing power of big business to pursue markets abroad. This is what the left calls neoliberalism, and it encompasses both the Democrats and the Republicans.

Are you fighting to force corporations to use only domestic labor? That would require FAR more business regulating than currently occurs, and would spark a full scale revolt from the corporations that rely on foreign labor to maintain their profits.

Quote:
Are you saying CalPERS isn't the US's biggest investor?

Prove it.
No, I'm not saying this. I don't care about CalPERS. You're the only one bringing it up, and I'm not going to argue a point that I didn't make and that I don't care about.

Quote:

Global justice, etc. is most definitely NOT the work of capital. The left-wing owns globalization, wage arbitrage and all.

The working class is just another victim of the left's inability to think through the disatrous consequences of their blindly-held dogmatic ideology.
What the hell is global justice? Globalization has nothing to do with left-wing politics, and to say that the left "owns" globalization is about as dumb a thing as you've posted in this thread. The Left constantly derides the exploitation of labor both domestically and abroad. The Left constantly attacks big businesses for shipping jobs overseas. Sweatshops have come about because of capitalists who want to increase their profit margins, not because of the left.

As for the bit about "blindly-held dogmatic ideology," this is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. You think that your opinion is factually and mine is nothing more than dogma, yet I'm inclined to believe the same about you.

Funny how suddenly you want to position yourself as an ally of the working class after post after post deriding the poor as lazy scum who lack value. Stop pretending.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Are the tax cuts creating jobs for you?...

yes

Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My son worked for a unionized store for his 1st year out of college.

$8 per hour. No benefits for 1st year. One raise in that year.

Forced to pay union dues.

Now earns $65,000 with a private non unionized store, has full benefits, paid vacation after 6 months and student loan assistance.

EVERY union worker that I know earns less than my friends in the private non union jobs.

Unions have had their time.
Not only that, instead of saving jobs when budgets are tight by accepting a smaller than negotiated wage increase (though STILL getting an INCREASE), they cannibalize their own, forcing the layoffs of the most recently hired.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
Are the tax cuts creating jobs for you?...
No, but they have created millions of jobs for the Chinese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies