Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
What a crock, Rutgers and this team has made lemonade out of the Imus Lemons, fundraising, endowments, media attention, the works. My guess is Kia Vaughn is a puppet for some other group.

Or a puppet for some aging shyster who got tired of chasing ambulances and saw a slower target in Imus................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:38 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
If she does get money, do you think the rest of the team will sue?

Old 08-17-2007, 08:32 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If she does get money, do you think the rest of the team will sue?
Yes. This is lawsuit happy capital of the world

Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM

467 posts, read 325,039 times
I think it shocks me more that the majority of the people who have posted in this thread are the family values conservatives...

I don't think she should file suit because I think Imus should have offered to sponsor a scholarship fund in the names of those athletes he blithely slammed.

However, it is up to a judge to say whether she has a case or not and at this point - it seems she does. We'll just have to wait and see if it actually goes to trial or they settle (likely).

Maybe you guys don't feel she or the other players should be upset at being singled out by this relic as being ugly and a *****, but I assure you here they and their families feel differently. Yes, being called a name by a school bully or someone on the street can only harm you if you let it, but being called nappy headed and a ***** by a national celebrity on television and radio to millions of viewers is somewhat different - don't you think?

Put yourself in her family's place or her place. This is the night she fights for the national championship of basketball. For a female athelete - the pinnacle of years of hard work. This is a time when those players should be celebrating their accomplishment not having to turn around and answer questions about why some old white guys called them names.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I just can't believe that guy is still alive. He looks like the crypt keeper.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I think it shocks me more that the majority of the people who have posted in this thread are the family values conservatives..
What exactly are "family values conservatives"? As opposed to, what?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:38 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Default Kia Who ??????

Quote:
I think it shocks me more that the majority of the people who have posted in this thread are the family values conservatives...

I don't think she should file suit because I think Imus should have offered to sponsor a scholarship fund in the names of those athletes he blithely slammed.

However, it is up to a judge to say whether she has a case or not and at this point - it seems she does. We'll just have to wait and see if it actually goes to trial or they settle (likely).

Maybe you guys don't feel she or the other players should be upset at being singled out by this relic as being ugly and a *****, but I assure you here they and their families feel differently. Yes, being called a name by a school bully or someone on the street can only harm you if you let it, but being called nappy headed and a ***** by a national celebrity on television and radio to millions of viewers is somewhat different - don't you think?

Put yourself in her family's place or her place. This is the night she fights for the national championship of basketball. For a female athelete - the pinnacle of years of hard work. This is a time when those players should be celebrating their accomplishment not having to turn around and answer questions about why some old white guys called them names.
Unless one is a rabid fan of women's college basketball NO ONE has ever even heard of Kia ????....................If you remember when questioned at least initially, the "Rutgers Girls" said they barely heard of Don Imus....For certain they did not listen to his program......c'mon........Why don't all of you "non family values liberals" jump on another cause( name calling looks foolish in print doesn't it?)......Besides this incident didn't have any effect on the successs of the Rutgers program.....They went to the Championship GEESH...............What we have here is simply another case of an opportunist trying to get paid ( gotta give her her props people know of her now) !!!! Imus has money.... If a person with no notoriety said what Imus said we ain't even havin' this discussion!!!! Hopefully a judge will throw this foolish lawsuit out.....There are more important issues.
Spiritwalker

Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:

I have no problems with them being upset. I think it's ridiculous that being upset makes people think they should sue. As for the national celebrity versus the school kid, the only difference is that the celebrity has money and you can make a statement by filing a suit. The effect of the remarks that Imus made was that he lost his job and looked like an idiot to the whole country. The team wasn't damaged and ended up with great PR because of the way they handled it - until now.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
I live in NJ and I never heard of her or any of the other players until the Imas thing happened. Don't follow college sports.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:30 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,994 times
Although I don't think she has much of a case we need to keep in mind the whole picture. She is suing Imus AND CBS, and ABC. It's just the media is only talking about Imus. Who has the deep pockets here? Imus is somewhat covered. His contract openly stated he was supposed to say controversial things. If anyone pays here it will be ABC and CBS. At most Imus' liability insurance carrier may pay out some cash or some token payment will be made. Imus makes another apology and tells everyone he was only doing what his employer told him to do. Which is evidenced by the settlement they just paid Imus. But this is a play for money, not justice. And when you make a play for money you go after the big, deep pockets. The woman is alleging her reputation is hurt because of the comments Imus made, but in fact nobody new her before Imus said what he said. Whether she wants to admit it or not, she is a public figure. Shock jocks have talked trash about athletes on the radio for the last fifty years. This woman's attorney is just hoping for some easy PC cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies