Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,996,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Those cops that are our masters, are they the same ones whose boss we elect?

Oh, right, minor detail, nevermind...
Oh, right, nevermind you being able to think. While we "elect" lawmakers do they listen to you? No.

So what are the odds when dealing with a police officer 1 on 1 is that he will be listening to you? Without, already having made a decision on fining you or arresting you? Yeah, there are laws they have to follow. But the police officers CHOOSE what laws to obey. Like in an urban setting, most police officers won't care about what speed you go unlike in the suburbs. And in the city when a bunch of kids go acting stupid and might throw rocks at cars. The police won't care, unlike in the suburbs.

Of course, I doubt you would understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You are joking right? The Constitution is the law they are sworn to uphold.
You specifically said that "respond[ing] to crimes" is their Constitutional duty. Show me where in the Constitution it requires that of LOCAL law enforcement officials.

And no, I'm not joking. I think you are, though. Like I said, nobody could be that ignorant...

Old 08-23-2011, 05:57 PM

488 posts, read 554,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Here is a good cop anymore. I was pulled over for having expired registration. It was I think a month or so past and just forgot to go down and get it registered. Cops says he's gonna give me a break cause he could tow my car bla bla bla then hands me a 300 dollar ticket. What a good cop. I guess I got lucky he didn't tow my car then arrest me for jaywalking across the road as I trudged home five miles. Thanks pig.
Out of curiosity, did you actually end up paying $300 for the ticket? Or did you get your vehicle registered and have the ticket dismissed for a smaller fee?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Oh, right, nevermind you being able to think. While we "elect" lawmakers do they listen to you? No.

So what are the odds when dealing with a police officer 1 on 1 is that he will be listening to you? Without, already having made a decision on fining you or arresting you? Yeah, there are laws they have to follow. But the police officers CHOOSE what laws to obey. Like in an urban setting, most police officers won't care about what speed you go unlike in the suburbs. And in the city when a bunch of kids go acting stupid and might throw rocks at cars. The police won't care, unlike in the suburbs.

Of course, I doubt you would understand.
Only thing I understand is the irony in you insulting someone else's intelligence.

But the police officers CHOOSE what laws to obey. Like in an urban setting, most police officers won't care about what speed you go unlike in the suburbs. And in the city when a bunch of kids go acting stupid and might throw rocks at cars. The police won't care, unlike in the suburbs.

That sounds like cops choosing what laws to ENFORCE, not what laws to obey. Perhaps, before insulting people, you should actually make sense.

But yes, discretion is something police officers are allowed to have, were you not aware of that?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Until the internet was invented, I never realized how many crazy people there were...
Same here. Unfortunately, internet forums give the haters and crazies equal footing with everyone else.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
We often hear people say, it is the bad cops who give all the good ones a black eye.
The truth is there are no more good cops.
The reason for that is the Blue Code.
It is a code every cop abides by, and is the very definition of corruption.
It is the reason every cop feels secure in their actions regardless of how dastardly they may be.
They know their fellow officers will lie, commit perjury, falsify evidence, and do what ever it takes to cover up the wrong doings of their brother officers.
So long as this code exists, all officers are accomplices of the crimes their fellow officers commit.
It is little wonder cops are so afraid of the evidence a camera or a video camera represents. It is the one tool the public has to expose the lies and corruption that exist on such a grand scale in today’s police forces.
Until the Blue Code is eliminated, and cops are aggressively prosecuted for participating in the practice, no citizen is safe from the abuses of power we see daily in our cities.
The penalty for covering up the crimes of bad cops should be the same as the crime itself.
Until that day comes, there are no good cops.

Dude, what you don't know about law enforcement is enough to fill a football stadium. What's the matter, did you recently run afoul of the law and now need to whine about it?
My little brother has been a cop in Dallas for about 8 years now. And I talk to him alot about his experiences, along with older, veteran cop friends of his. To a man, every older cop has told me that one of the very biggest differences nowadays as compared to "the old days" (like before the Rodney King deal) is that the old Blue Code has diminished drastically, and that in an attempt to score points with the brass of perhaps further their career aspirations, alot of the younger cops nowadays do not hesitate about reporting abuses done by their fellow policemen.
Yeah, he whines about they whine aobut the very opposit of what you claim!
Only diferrence is: all those cops know from experience and are living in the situation everyday. While you obviously speak not from knowledge but rather from ignorant whining..
And..uh..next timer you hear someone in your house at 3 a.m. maybe you should call the ACLU instead of the police.

Peace.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Quote:
Here is a good cop anymore. I was pulled over for having expired registration. It was I think a month or so past and just forgot to go down and get it registered. Cops says he's gonna give me a break cause he could tow my car bla bla bla then hands me a 300 dollar ticket. What a good cop. I guess I got lucky he didn't tow my car then arrest me for jaywalking across the road as I trudged home five miles. Thanks pig.
So it's the fault of the police that you were too lazy, cheap, or inattentive to register your vehicle.

Whether or not you choose to recognize the truth, the officer that stopped you did cut you a break. Recovering your car from impound after paying the towing bill to get it there in addition to paying the ticket for your lack of diligence in keeping your registration current would have easily doubled the cost.

You brought this incident on yourself. It's a shame you didn't use the time spent walking home mentally chastising yourself for your screw up.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Interesting, ALL cops are bad. All belong to a "blue wall" of silence. I'm a cop. Been so for 22 yrs. I've testifyied in federal and state court, against other cops, putting them in federal and state prison. I'm made statements, internally, which has gotten police officers serious reprimands, up to and including termination; but all cops lie and cover up.

This is 2011 and what this ignorant and down right stupid poster does not understand is modern policing. What he watched on TV, 20-30 yrs ago was a norm. There was a culture of covering up for other officers; THERE IS NOT ANYMORE.

I make 150K a year and I have nothing more then a high school education. I am the receiver of one of those fat pensions, people whine about. Now. do you truly think I am going to give all that up, to look the other way, because Bozo decided to slap the **** out of someone? No, I am not. I will not lie, cheat, coverup, or do anything which would cause me to lose my pay and retirement. And neither will the other 180 police officers I work with.

This thread is obviously written by a person who is anti police. I challenge them, if they want to improve policing in this country, as I have, then become a police officer. That is also out there for the rest of the anti police crowd. Come on board, teach others how to be "real" policers and make a change.

But you know what? You won't. And the excuses you will make, will be worthless. You are too smart to be a police officer, too busy, etc. I've heard it all before.
excellent post phil.

Quote:
This is the bottom line, there are certain deviant physiological types that are drawn to positions of power to facilitate their needs such as pedophiles are drawn to pre-schools and churches. Police are no exception, police work, like the military offers an attractive outlet and cover for those in society who receive satisfaction from violence.
yes it is true that some people are drawn to police work because of the power they think they will have. those people however are generally weeded out during academy training.

Quote:
The Code does exist.
It provides cover for the psychopaths along with good cops who from time to time will make an honest mistake. Some on this thread have denied it exists, and others have said it used to exist, but does no more.
The headlines in places like Fullerton CA show not only does the violence continue, but the internal cover-ups as well. I would like to believe that this is beginning to change, perhaps it is. However, change only happens with awareness.
perhaps you should read phil306s post carefully, you might actually learn something.

Quote:
I'm not "shrieking" about anything. Just giving MY opinion that cops have become revenue collectors for the state, county, city. Nowhere did I BLAME the cop.
uhm, cops have always been revenue enhancers, not collectors as that it the job of the courts not the cops. how stupid would it be if the various government agencies wrote laws that had no consequences for breaking them? you speed you get a fine from the courts. it is supposed to discourage people from speeding.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Here are a couple of points for the anti police crowds:

1. NO. Police DO NOT pass laws. YOU DO. That is right. For all the traffic laws you people are complaining about, the police don't pass the laws, your state legislatures do; usually, at the behest of a citizen, who is complaining about the traffic laws.

2. NO. Police DO NOT, in general, decide what they are and/or will enforce. Yes, there is "discreation," however, that has been so diminished by public sentiment, its not funny. YOU may not think your car being unregistered is a big deal. Yet, I've received MANY calls from ordinary citizens, driving down the street, seeing unregistered cars, and calling them in, its not funny.

YOU. Sitting at home, smoking dope, and living YOUR life doesn't mean others do. The general citizens of this country guide police work. Don't like "X" make legal or illegal. Police do not do that.

Remember, in this day and age, the police are YOU. They are found, recruited, et al from YOUR community. From the same places you live. MOST people who are anti police are "casual drug users" and down right criminals.

Police officers aren't perfect. They are human beings which make mistakes. If they make a mistake, call em on it. I have.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:17 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Interesting, ALL cops are bad. All belong to a "blue wall" of silence. I'm a cop. Been so for 22 yrs. I've testifyied in federal and state court, against other cops, putting them in federal and state prison. I'm made statements, internally, which has gotten police officers serious reprimands, up to and including termination; but all cops lie and cover up.

This is 2011 and what this ignorant and down right stupid poster does not understand is modern policing. What he watched on TV, 20-30 yrs ago was a norm. There was a culture of covering up for other officers; THERE IS NOT ANYMORE.

I make 150K a year and I have nothing more then a high school education. I am the receiver of one of those fat pensions, people whine about. Now. do you truly think I am going to give all that up, to look the other way, because Bozo decided to slap the **** out of someone? No, I am not. I will not lie, cheat, coverup, or do anything which would cause me to lose my pay and retirement. And neither will the other 180 police officers I work with.

This thread is obviously written by a person who is anti police. I challenge them, if they want to improve policing in this country, as I have, then become a police officer. That is also out there for the rest of the anti police crowd. Come on board, teach others how to be "real" policers and make a change.

But you know what? You won't. And the excuses you will make, will be worthless. You are too smart to be a police officer, too busy, etc. I've heard it all before.
Quote:
Here are a couple of points for the anti police crowds:

1. NO. Police DO NOT pass laws. YOU DO. That is right. For all the traffic laws you people are complaining about, the police don't pass the laws, your state legislatures do; usually, at the behest of a citizen, who is complaining about the traffic laws.

2. NO. Police DO NOT, in general, decide what they are and/or will enforce. Yes, there is "discreation," however, that has been so diminished by public sentiment, its not funny. YOU may not think your car being unregistered is a big deal. Yet, I've received MANY calls from ordinary citizens, driving down the street, seeing unregistered cars, and calling them in, its not funny.

YOU. Sitting at home, smoking dope, and living YOUR life doesn't mean others do. The general citizens of this country guide police work. Don't like "X" make legal or illegal. Police do not do that.

Remember, in this day and age, the police are YOU. They are found, recruited, et al from YOUR community. From the same places you live. MOST people who are anti police are "casual drug users" and down right criminals.

Police officers aren't perfect. They are human beings which make mistakes. If they make a mistake, call em on it. I have.
Easily, the two most rational posts on this entire worthless thread. +1 for common sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies