Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Jobs.
But if it's in a given business owner's or shareholders' interest, they'll ship jobs overseas--or phase them out altogether. When that happens and it happens often, it has a negative effect on the economy and on individuals' lives.

Also, many of these jobs come with strings attached, like you cannot do this or that, or you cannot believe this or that (well if you do, you certainly cannot tell anyone about it). Further, some jobs are downright unsafe and a detriment to the people who work there. Some jobs are so poorly compensated, it's best to have nothing to do with a corporation -- but in many of these instances, it may be the only game in town. Take North Louisiana, for example, which is the mostly rural portion of the state save Alexandria, Shreveport, and Monroe. In many of these locations, there's two options for most workers, agribusiness (low paid, poor working conditions) or Wal-Mart (completely humiliating, low pay).

Jobs are great, but my whole issue with many of the jobs available no longer pay a living wage. And then after you've been there 10, 12, 15 years or more, they outsource your position and/or lay you off. Corporations/big business provided jobs that they can take away at the drop of a hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:20 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, corporate America is the source of all our problems. Let's all hate corporate America.

Better yet, let's expand the food stamp program to include ALL Americans. Then we will indeed be a food stamp nation.

But don't stop there, lets give ALL Americans golf ball stamps and motorcycle stamps. After all, we do need some form of exercise and recreation. Then we would indeed be a country full of happy food/golf/motorcycle stamp citizens.

OR, maybe we should STOP all food stamps and let charities take care of charity. But the big government guys like Obama would not like that. That would diminish their power over the people....their power to control the lives of all the poor suckers who vote for more government control year after year.
what charities?

The New York Times reports that although no one's keeping exact figures, there's no question that charities are falling like timber across the scorched landscape of our economy. Non-profits already operate on the razor's edge of liquidity, in a domino situation where one mishap or failure by a trusted partner can sink the whole enterprise. If a charity entered into 2008 with any sort of financial trouble, it's unlikely to leave 2010-11 at all

America's charities going bankrupt at an alarming rate - DailyFinance

Old 09-01-2011, 05:55 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
This thread has some great points, but few mention that Americans themselves had a role in this. Americans continue to demand cheaper and cheaper and cheaper stuff, and it must come from Wal-Mart or Target or some place like them. Instead of being content to own less, but have it be of better quality like prior generations, Americans prefer cheap cheap cheap. You can't argue with me that America's fascination with Wal-Mart and other discount retailers hasn't in part fueled the push to send jobs overseas.

Perhaps if the profit margins were better on product and cheapskates were willing to pay more there would be less outsourcing. But most Americans just look at the pricetag.

I'd argue that capitalism is grand, except we are not in a capitalist society. If we were our tax money would not be going to bank bailouts. I read just the other day that Fannie and Freddie asked for taxpayer money - yet AGAIN.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
This thread has some great points, but few mention that Americans themselves had a role in this. Americans continue to demand cheaper and cheaper and cheaper stuff, and it must come from Wal-Mart or Target or some place like them. Instead of being content to own less, but have it be of better quality like prior generations, Americans prefer cheap cheap cheap. You can't argue with me that America's fascination with Wal-Mart and other discount retailers hasn't in part fueled the push to send jobs overseas.

Perhaps if the profit margins were better on product and cheapskates were willing to pay more there would be less outsourcing. But most Americans just look at the pricetag.

I'd argue that capitalism is grand, except we are not in a capitalist society. If we were our tax money would not be going to bank bailouts. I read just the other day that Fannie and Freddie asked for taxpayer money - yet AGAIN.
Yes, the U.S. is a mixed economy and many folks don't like to admit that.

Consumption is part of the problem as you assert. But one thing that many Americans don't realize is that the U.S. government has aided this fascination with consumption, especially in the post-WWII era. See Lizabeth Cohen's book entitled The Consumer's Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption. It shows how the government encouraged Americans to spend, spend, spend, and if they didn't have the money to do it, then to spend on credit.

America, it's all about the stuff!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
People should not have to sell everything they own and move 2000 miles from all their friends and family...for what? Cos there's no guarentee you'll find work there either. Nor should you have to work 60 hours a week just to survive. what kind of life is that really?
Maybe the CEOs of these corporations need to stop getting huge salaries and bonuses...and keep the jobs here instead of Mexico or China.
It has always been that way. Look at any major newspapers obituary page and see how many are born and die in the same town.

If our ancestors thought like you most of us would be in Europe.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
You're aware that most people who get food stamps are the working poor and children?
Yes but too many millions are poor now.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post

we are in an imperialist plutocracy. Corporate welfare now trickles down....doesnt seem to be working on any level, and above post re: CEO's is spot on....

Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
It has always been that way. Look at any major newspapers obituary page and see how many are born and die in the same town.

If our ancestors thought like you most of us would be in Europe.
Sometimes, I'm sorry my ancestors eve left

Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
Yes, the U.S. is a mixed economy and many folks don't like to admit that.

Consumption is part of the problem as you assert. But one thing that many Americans don't realize is that the U.S. government has aided this fascination with consumption, especially in the post-WWII era. See Lizabeth Cohen's book entitled The Consumer's Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption. It shows how the government encouraged Americans to spend, spend, spend, and if they didn't have the money to do it, then to spend on credit.

America, it's all about the stuff!
yes, but no one is consuming as much now......thats one of the problems we are seeing.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
But if it's in a given business owner's or shareholders' interest, they'll ship jobs overseas--or phase them out altogether. When that happens and it happens often, it has a negative effect on the economy and on individuals' lives.

Also, many of these jobs come with strings attached, like you cannot do this or that, or you cannot believe this or that (well if you do, you certainly cannot tell anyone about it). Further, some jobs are downright unsafe and a detriment to the people who work there. Some jobs are so poorly compensated, it's best to have nothing to do with a corporation -- but in many of these instances, it may be the only game in town. Take North Louisiana, for example, which is the mostly rural portion of the state save Alexandria, Shreveport, and Monroe. In many of these locations, there's two options for most workers, agribusiness (low paid, poor working conditions) or Wal-Mart (completely humiliating, low pay).

Jobs are great, but my whole issue with many of the jobs available no longer pay a living wage. And then after you've been there 10, 12, 15 years or more, they outsource your position and/or lay you off. Corporations/big business provided jobs that they can take away at the drop of a hat.
I used to work at Wal-Mart...when I was 16....as Christmas help. The people there seemed well adjusted and friendly. I didn't feel demeaned. I think they actually liked it because of the benefits they got as a full time employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies