Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:09 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Liberals identify with tyrants and authoritarian rule.

Just look at some of the folks in 0bama's administration, they too believe in population control.

President Obama's "science czar," John Holdren, once floated the idea of forced abortions, "compulsory sterilization," and the creation of a "Planetary Regime" that would oversee human population levels and control all natural resources as a means of protecting the planet -- controversial ideas his critics say should have been brought up in his Senate confirmation hearings.
Read more: Obama's Science Czar Considered Forced Abortions, Sterilization As Population Growth Solutions | FoxNews.com
I'm so sorry. Any link to FoxNews completely blows any claims to fact or accuracy right out of the water for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

An Immense Wall o' Text
Paragraphs are our friends.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,399 times
Quote:
I don’t really post in the political forums any longer, as the main political themes take on perfunctory, predictable strains of discourse between the usual posters.
This one’s a little different, more interesting, and definitely personalized. First of all, I will offer up my take on Vice President Biden’s informal Q&A at Sichuan University. In my estimation, he did not come down forcefully enough ‘in favor’ of China’s one child per household birth control policy. As “Who Me?” offered, he stated he merely ‘understood’ it, but then subsequently retracted his posture by saying he believed that one wage earner per four retired citizens is ‘unsustainable’. In the previous sentence, he refers to the Chinese retired citizen as having ‘no safety net’. That, of course, contrasts to the USA’s Medicare policy. There was no real clarity on the statement. However, if you read the entire transcript, surrounding Biden’s remark about China’s one child per household policy, there is very real language concerning budget cuts on the order of 1.7 trillion enacted by congress in order to shore up what will be a deficit in Medicare, with 40 million additional citizens set to hit the Medicare payrolls. To that end, population control becomes a very real issue. 1.7 trillion dollars is being brought up by Biden, in relationship to the greater issue, the purpose of his visit, which is to allay concerns to the Chinese government that the USA will not default on debt obligations to China in the foreseeable future. There’s a lot more going on here than just the soundbyte that Speaker Bohener attempted to capitalize on. Biden’s inability to render a clear opinion is frankly frustrating. The context in which Biden’s comments were rendered needs to be more carefully considered, in its entirety, before the usual suspects begin to hurl daggers.
Unfortunately, a real opportunity to discuss this very critical subject was missed, because emotions by Boehner, and lack of clarity by Biden got in the way. This is a shame, because the issue of population control deserves to debated on a much grander stage. The problem is that it is the ultimate ‘third rail’ political topic, one that undermines both major political parties with regard to base line, boiler-plate level philosophy. After all, isn’t it the “American Dream” to raise a family, have a 2000 sq ft home in the suburbs, surrounded by prosperity, accompanied by children, offspring, thinking of your destiny, family tree, what have you? These ideals are interwoven into our culture. Tax credits exist in our tax code to encourage reproductive activity.
How taboo is it, then, to re-think these ideals? Well, one need only to witness the deleterious forces that accompany such behavior. Virtually every aspect of our lives, the current political climate, debt ceilings, peak oil, peak water, are tied into the simple notion that as a species, our level of reproduction, is, in effect, unsustainable. Globally, there is nothing the U.S. can do to curtail this impending pandemic. However, nationally, we have a fiduciary responsibility to future generations to change our current paradigm, philosophy. Foremost, as a sovereign nation, we have every right to control and fortify our borders. Politicians in both parties have become cozy doing the American “Okie-dok” when it comes to our fences, our borders, our immigration policy. Closing our borders and severely curtailing entry into our country should be practiced on the order of Australia and New Zealand. In essence, we don’t naturalize ANYONE unless the individual brings a unique worth into our country in the form of desired skill or service. Something on the order of a surgeon, a chemical engineer, a programmer that can aid the NSA, etc. For the rest, sorry, it’s not 1920 any longer. We have more than enough talent in this country in terms of highly skilled, qualified citizenry. There is no earthly, rational sense in allowing our population to be inflated by non-natural (i.e. reproductive) means.
Additionally, both houses of congress should reconsider our tax code, which rewards the family for bearing children. The opposite condition should be rewarded. The simple facts are that as a nation, we did not surpass 100 million until 1917, (127 years from first census) then 200 million in 1967, when President Lyndon Johnson announced this ‘milestone’ in a celebratory tone. 300 million, once again, was met with hoopla by the U.S. Census, in 2006. At this rate, we will hit 400 million in 2042. We are gaining a citizen through migration every 30 seconds, and a childbirth every 7. Instead of MANDATING, or FORCING as the Chinese do, reward our citizens through dissuading, rather than encouraging child birth. Here’s another idea, and I say this as a fiscal conservative: increase taxes to bring birth control off prescription. Make it free, and readily available. Anything that can be done to encourage the possibility of curtailing this impending Russian Roulette debt wheel that’s coming down the pike in two generations. I view this as a compassionate, humane tact to take on future generations of our American citizenry.
We are overtaxed as a society, yet our infrastructure is crumbling, our natural and industrial resources depleting. Our interstate highway system is beyond maximum carrying capacity, our federal transportation budget is completely depleted. Think about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis a few years ago. Our roads are in a state of disrepair. Energy, water, and transportation are the ‘drivers’ to our economy. Without them, we cease to exist. To that end, when you have a minute, put “ogallala aquifer” into a search engine, and see what returns you get. Read it, you might find such content very interesting. The common thread, as I’ve stated, is overpopulation.
To close, I flew into McCarran Airport in Las Vegas two nights ago. When I last visited here, in 1990, residential neighborhoods were contained within the valley. Henderson Nevada, a suburb, had only 65,000 people. The population in this city has quadrupled. Nellis Air Force Base was an isolated outpost in the country. Now it’s surrounded by residential neighborhoods on 3 sides. I looked out the window, correlating the distance of population encroachment in relative distance to Lake Mead. The effect was startling. It was as if I was warped 200 years into the future instead of merely 20. I was looking at the surrounding rock formations that ringed around Lake Mead. You could very easily, readily make out, the various rings on the rocks, rings where the water level used to reside, where it is now. The rings were reminiscent of a tree ring, that similarly indicates the age of a tree, only, in this case, the rings revealed where water levels used to reside. Drought alone can not begin to account for the deficit of water in this lake. The fact is that Las Vegas will run out of water in the intermediate future. Population growth, on this order, is simply not sustainable. So, Joe Biden couldn’t QUITE articulate what really needed to be stated, at this Q & A. That’s because as a species, we tend to have a very real proclivity to bull@*it ourselves when it comes to issues that present a clear and present danger to the societies we have built. And we will continue down this path of destruction until some real leaders can mount a persuasive argument to the masses that our way of life, as it pertains to population expansion, is simply unsustainable.
By far the most informational and well written post I have read on City Data.

Logical, intelligent, and needed to be presented.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
You do understand the one child policy was implimented at at time when China was facing the real threat of massive starvation?

Also the policy is pretty much confined to urban residents. People in rural areas can have more than one child.
Only if they're not Han.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,298 times
For china it is good.. they are almost at 2 billion people...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
For china it is good.. they are almost at 2 billion people...
China has 1.3 billion, the US at 310 million, or maybe 1/4 the population. That said, consider the naturally inhabitable land mass, pre-invention, as it pertains to air conditioning, central water, or transportation. We have a fraction of our land mass that might be considered naturally habitable. If you consider lack of naturally occurring fresh water, steep slope due to terrain, and other factors involving natural resources, our spatial envelope, as it pertains to human settlement, begins to shrink. Let's face it: humans were not intended, by nature, to settle to the tune of 2 million plus in Phoenix Arizona. That invention and human ingenuity has enabled us to do so is great, but consider that our inventions and machines, which are based on non-renewable resources enable us to expand to these areas. But those resources are finite, and are tenuous, based on an existing population grid.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:50 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
This is an excellent piece, not only from a liberal democrat, but from the perspective of human rights, especially for women.

Biden

Quote:
Reggie Littlejohn, an American attorney who founded Women’s Rights Without Frontiers, told a reporter, “China’s one-child policy causes more violence against women and girls than any other policy on earth, than any official policy in the history of the world.”

Chai Ling, a two-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee and former leader of the 1989 Tiananmen Square Democracy Movement, told me she was “shocked and troubled” by Biden’s statement.

When Biden says he isn’t “second-guessing” the one-child policy, he is sending a frightening message to other countries, like India, where sex-selective abortions are epidemic in a country that places little value on girls.
Amazing you all are missing this...how far the Left will go to defend, excuse and distort.

As Power's asks, does Bite-Me understand and refrain from second guessing the stoning of women?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
Why are people obliged to keep popping them out, popping them out, popping them out ? Enough humans, already !!!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
This is an excellent piece, not only from a liberal democrat, but from the perspective of human rights, especially for women.

Biden

Amazing you all are missing this...how far the Left will go to defend, excuse and distort.

As Power's asks, does Bite-Me understand and refrain from second guessing the stoning of women?
In my estimation, Sanrene, the policy of these urban Chinese provinces with regard to one child is not specific to one gender, after all, you can't control chromosomes. The problem is the culture of the plebians of previous generations of Chinese. I posted a link yesterday which illustrates that a mere re-thinking of the value of females can change that culture: One-Child Policy a Surprising Boon For China Girls | WKRG (http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2011/aug/14/one-child-policy-a-surprising-boon-for-china-girls-ar-2262061/ - broken link)

If this change in culture is encouraged, promulgated in the masses of China as a nation, this is undoubtably good. Why limit excellence and achievement to one gender? A female can provide just as ably to the older generation of family reliant upon income as can a male.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:44 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
In my estimation, Sanrene, the policy of these urban Chinese provinces with regard to one child is not specific to one gender, after all, you can't control chromosomes. The problem is the culture of the plebians of previous generations of Chinese. I posted a link yesterday which illustrates that a mere re-thinking of the value of females can change that culture: One-Child Policy a Surprising Boon For China Girls | WKRG (http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2011/aug/1...ls-ar-2262061/ - broken link)

If this change in culture is encouraged, promulgated in the masses of China as a nation, this is undoubtably good. Why limit excellence and achievement to one gender? A female can provide just as ably to the older generation of family reliant upon income as can a male.
In China, signs that one-child policy may be coming to an end | Yahoo! Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies