Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times

Advertisements

Nothing new...

Quote:
American voters sympathetic to the Tea Party movement reflect four primary cultural and political beliefs more than other voters do: authoritarianism, libertarianism, fear of change, and negative attitudes toward immigrants and immigration, according to new research to be presented at the 106th Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association.
Quote:
• Authoritarianism: respondents believe that obedience by children is more important than creativity, and that deference to authority is an important value.
• Libertarianism: respondents believe there should not be regulations or limitations on expressions such as clothing, television shows, and musical lyrics.
• Fear of change/ontological insecurity: respondents sense that things are changing too fast or too much.
• Nativism: respondents hold negative attitudes toward immigrants and immigration.
Study Reveals Cultural Characteristics of the Tea Party Movement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
fear of change LMAO. When was the last time the ones in Congress didn't manipulate the economy? How bout that change with this current President.?

A made up group does a made up study. It can't be about the issues when the one you back has such destructive policies that have failed time and time again. The thing to do is deflect from those very issues.

Nothing new...

Old 08-24-2011, 04:53 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
The study may or may not be valid. I wish we could see the actual study itself instead of a report about it. Having said all of that do you have problems with people who; believe children ought to mind, wish immigrants would assimilate, feel treasured cultural institutions/aspects should be preserved, and feel people should be free to wear what they want and watch what they want on tv? People/children who do not share these beliefs have been burning london. You prefer that type of society?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Fear of change? Like the millions of Mexican flags they see being waved by the illegals and the illegals telling us that this is their country now and that it's going to be a Spanish speaking nation where no laws that inconvenience foreigners from the south are to be enforced? Yeah, a lot of people besides Tea Party types don't want that kind of change.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Yes, I fear the change from my neighborhood being a nice place to live to a crime infested barrio like so many Long Island neighborhoods have already become.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Yes, I fear the change from my neighborhood being a nice place to live to a crime infested barrio like so many Long Island neighborhoods have already become.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
And, what are the cultural characteristics of La Raza, and other ethnocentric groups advocating on behalf of Hispanic illegal aliens?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
And, what are the cultural characteristics of La Raza, and other ethnocentric groups advocating on behalf of Hispanic illegal aliens?
Darnit, you said what I was about to say

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
I wonder if there is an agenda here?

Study Reveals Cultural Characterisitics of the Tea Party Movement-th_zacatecana-1-.jpg

Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Zacatecana? I was raised in Aguascalientes which is a neighbor state of Zacatecas. I do not know if you actually lived there or your relatives came from there.

I must say that even though I have a very superficial knowledge of the Tea Party movement the news source to me is already dubious. From my perspective journalist are very liberal in their views. They tend highlight any news that are against conservatives.
Second, I will break down the four points:
• Authoritarianism: respondents believe that obedience by children is more important than creativity, and that deference to authority is an important value.
I believe there is more to it than what is portrayed here. So if you have children it is OK if they tell you to go to the fiery place as long as they are creative or when you tell them to clean their room and obey traffic laws?
• Libertarianism: respondents believe there should not be regulations or limitations on expressions such as clothing, television shows, and musical lyrics.
Is this America or not? Do you agree with Freedom of Speech or not? So you advocate controlling what people wear, tell parents how to parent regarding TV and clothing?
• Fear of change/ontological insecurity: respondents sense that things are changing too fast or too much.
I do not think this something unique to the Tea Party members. Any group that sees things are imposed on them and expected to change would react also. Now, tell me what changes they do not like to see and then maybe I will agree with them or not. Do you like to be told to change your way of life?
• Nativism: respondents hold negative attitudes toward immigrants and immigration.
I do have mixed feelings when it comes to immigrants. I do not like immigrants that come to our country because their own country does not give them what they want, come to the US and then bite the hands that feed them by telling us we are so abusive, do not give them jobs, etc. I do have a side that I have no problem to give a chance to some of them that came here illegaly but may have some special circumstances but only by looking at a case by case bases, not just give them blanket residency. My mom and dad came to the US because they felt they could have a better life here than over there. I am glad my dad was appreciative to realize this country give him a good life for him, my mom and his children. Not talk bad about the country he now made home. I do not blame people that may look bad on immigrants that act that way. I am a son of immigrants and I love and respect many of them but the ones that do not have any appreciation for what they get in this great land, they can very easily take their things and go back to the country they left waving the foreign flags just as they do when they demonstrate and demand rights they do not have if they are not legal citizens, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies