Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,921,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
No... It seems silly for a poor family to never get to own a computer...
Who said they would "never" get to own such?

I said they should save and take care of priorities first, then when they can truly afford to, they can obtain a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,036,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
First comes health, then comes knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Who said they would "never" get to own such?

I said they should save and take care of priorities first, then when they can truly afford to, they can obtain a computer.
So... when does the knowledge part come into play... according to you... I guess never...

Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,082,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
As many as 17 million children nationwide are struggling with what is known as food insecurity.
Oh, yes, "food insecurity." A new ******* Orwellian Buzzword to elicit the desired knee-jerking reaction.

Quote:
To put it another way, one in four children in the country is living without consistent access to enough nutritious food to live a healthy life, according to the study, "Map the Meal Child Food Insecurity 2011."
And who is denying them access? The parents.

The Democrats had 2 years to do something about it. Do you remember what they did? No, because you're probably repressing the memory of their horrible 2 years where they frivolously spent $12 TRILLION and ran up the National Debt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Let us not forget: 3 in 4 children are well fed! Let us focus on the positive.
Well from the ******* point of view, anything less than a totally unrealistic 100% is a dismal failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why does the Tea Party need to do anything about child hunger? The question should be "what are the parents of those children going to do about it?"
The Democrats didn't do anything either, except continue tax breaks for corporations for 2 years and then whine bitterly when Republicans gained control of the House and wanted to maintain the same policies of the Democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Some of you crack me up. You seem to think that if the government doesn't provide for them that they will starve. What do you think churches, synagogues, mosques have been doing for centuries before governments took it upon themselves?
I had to laugh because a while back there were a couple of out-of-town guys here for a ball-game, and they were approached by a fat street person looking for a handout, and one of the guys starting laughing and the other said, "I ain't never seen a fat homeless person before" and started laughing.

We get home-haters coming from as far away as San Fransisco, because as the saying goes around the country, you can't starve in Cincinnati.

You can get free breakfast 7-days a week at the Drop-In Center, the City Gospel Mission, and Our Daily Bread. You can get free lunch 7-days a week at those places, plus at the Lord's Gym (yes, that's what it's called) and free lunch on Wednesdays at the Franciscan Church, plus free lunch on Saturday and Sunday from the Vineyard Group. You can get free dinner 7-days a week at the Drop-In Center, the City Gospel Mission, and Our Daily Bread, plus both of the Mosques offer free dinner to anyone every Friday (it's largely vegan but it is a lot of food and very well prepared), and free spaghetti dinner every Wednesday night at a catholic church here, plus there are two other places that server dinner on Sundays and Mondays.

There's also the Free-Store/Food Bank which offers free food and there are more than 2 dozen other "food banks" in the community and none do any sort of income checking.

There's plenty of free food out there, the parents just have to put down the crack pipe or beer for a few seconds and go get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I thought Obama eliminated child hunger!
He did.

He waved his magic 5 Iron on the Sacred Fairway and it all went away.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,538,770 times
Quote:
HUNGER AT HOME: 1 in 4 American Children are Malnourished - ABC News

As many as 17 million children nationwide are struggling with what is known as food insecurity. To put it another way, one in four children in the country is living without consistent access to enough nutritious food to live a healthy life, according to the study, "Map the Meal Child Food Insecurity 2011."

Those hungry children are everywhere, and with the uncertain economy, the numbers are only growing, experts say.
What is the caloric intake on those children you mention? I mean a day.
Also, it would be good home many of those kids are walking around with the most state of the are electronic gadget in school and at home. Many of the families of these children do have their priorities very mixed up.
Another example:
In my town some of the movie theaters show the most recent movies at higher costs but there are two of them the show them after the movie has been out a little while and the expensive movie theaters do not show them anymore for a one or two dollars.

If I was in the poverty group and had kids I assure you that I would take my kids to the one dollar theater so I have more money to feed them. One day I went to the cheap theater with my wife, my daughter and her husband. I asked them if they see something wrong. Of course they coud not get the point. I told them the they and us can afford to go to the expensive theater but those that can not are out there and us are here at the cheap theater. I could see the poor people with their kids talking on their cellulars, with iPods, etc. waiting to pay for exorbitant movie prices and the cheap theaters are most of the time empty. Look around and see how much money poor people waste on frivolous things. I do not think they take that into consideration when people do surveys. I am for helping people in need but I also believe some of the perils in surveys miss some angles or are influenced by political agendas, take care.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,171,440 times
Poor children are getting free school lunches if their parents qualify. Sometimes breakfasts, too. Plus there is WIC for pre-school age children and commodities for older children as well as adults. So it is a myth that poor children are allowed to starve due to government negligence.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:03 AM

26,926 posts, read 15,141,498 times
" What are the Tea Party plans about child hunger?"

What are the Democratic Party's plan about pedophile rape?

See how easy it is to play that game?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,849,967 times
Quote:
Uh... No... PC's are not all that expensive anymore... They're getting really cheap actually... It seems silly for a poor family to never get to own a computer...
Maybe instead of $150 dollar sneakers, they might consider a computer instead...you think?

What you call "poor" is not so much. 2-3 TV, cell phones, cable, a car or two.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,538,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
" What are the Tea Party plans about child hunger?"

What are the Democratic Party's plan about pedophile rape?

See how easy it is to play that game?
That was good! Take care.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,305,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why does the Tea Party need to do anything about child hunger? The question should be "what are the parents of those children going to do about it?"
Hello! You nailed it. 'Food insecurity' will also doubtless include parents who stand by while their kids eat junk food and candy instead of nutritious meals. And a lot depends on just how strict they are about defining 'food insecurity'. Does a kid who doesn't get enough calcium one or two days a week qualify? Remember, organizations recieving government budget money have an incentive to justify thier existence. We still have a Bureau of Indian Affairs, for heavens sake!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,921,828 times
Quote:
So... when does the knowledge part come into play... according to you... I guess never...
When they are financially stable enough to spend the money for such.

As I said, it depends on the family, their situation, etc...

The point is, if they are buying a computer and because of such, next month they go hungry, well... that is not the right time.

Maybe they take 10 dollars a month and put it in a fund to save for a computer while taking 50 dollars and putting it to an emergency fund. Lets say that their goal is a 500 dollar emergency fund. So, 10 months they have 500 dollars for emergency, and 100 dollars for a computer. Maybe now they could take and continue 25 dollars for an emergency fund (until they reach 1000) and put 35 to a computer. in 10 months they have 750 dollars of an emergency fund and 350 dollars for a computer.

See where I am going? It all depends on their income, how much they need to save to be secure, and what they are looking to save for with a computer or non-necessity. Heck, if knowledge is so important, one can go to a second hand book store and pick up a book on some type of learning topic for less than 5 bucks which will likely keep them building knowledge while saving for a computer and insuring they have some funds if an emergency comes up.

It isn't that hard..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies