Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Holly Springs, NC USA
3,457 posts, read 4,661,831 times
Reputation: 1907

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Would that also include homosexual babies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Holly Springs, NC USA
3,457 posts, read 4,661,831 times
Reputation: 1907
So if a person listen to all arguments on a subject and then makes a rational informed decision that doesn't generally go along with the left's opinion, is that person "close-minded"?

I find just as many if not more "close-minded" left wingers out there who have no idea what being open minded really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM
 
4,410 posts, read 6,147,311 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So if a person listen to all arguments on a subject and then makes a rational informed decision that doesn't generally go along with the left's opinion, is that person "close-minded"?

I find just as many if not more "close-minded" left wingers out there who have no idea what being open minded really is.
Maybe that's because you are closed-minded. Are you open to that possibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
 
4,410 posts, read 6,147,311 times
Reputation: 2908
I had hoped this thread would underscore the reason why there is a conservative and liberal divide that is all encompassing. Our political landscape has a huge wedge where you can only be on one side, it seems. I too am curious why we can't find candidates that have a foot on each side.

I'm socially liberal (some would say moderate) but I'm fiscally conservative (that too may be moderate). I think most people fit this description. More people support gay marriage and are upset at our national debt and overspending. I'm all for gay marriage and support the right to abortion, but I also support reducing both welfare and defense spending. Unfortunately, the welfare I support is primarily at the states' level so I couldn't do much at the federal level. Cradle-to-grave welfare is more a function of the state than the Fed. Because I don't hold the conservative view of the role of government, my fiscal conservatism might not qualify in their mind, but I consider myself a fiscal conservative. And I would have no hesitation figuratively chopping social conservatives into tiny bits, fighting them in their desire to achieve power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,700 posts, read 17,089,925 times
Reputation: 22092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
......not so much.

They may very well be able to detect homosexuality while still in the womb some day.....they are trying. So, would someone who hates homosexuality be OK with abortion to effectively end homosexuality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,492 posts, read 26,633,786 times
Reputation: 8971
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You can call anything a right, but that doesn't make it so.


If our rights do not come from God, from where do they originate?
shouldnt this be on the religion forum?

debating God is a separate issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Indiana
2,046 posts, read 1,577,664 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Me neither. Good science avails itself of the scientific method. If you understood this, you'd also understand the difference between a scientific theory and a theory that you thought up this morning. You might want to research this one.



No, there aren't many reputable climatologists who don't believe in climate change. Go ahead and find some-- Again, reputable ones... Not hacks hired by a right wing think tank or Exxon. (Hint: Try universities. Any climate change deniers there? Good luck!)



I didn't call you crazy. I called you wrong. For the third time-- Homosexual behavior is considered normative behavior. There is a spectrum of sexual behavior, and homosexual behavior falls in the normal range. It takes place in humans. It takes place in animals.

Your just another person trying to justify your bigotry. I am not "close-minded" by not accepting your bigotry. Closed minded would mean I didn't consider your position. I did. You're wrong. You're probably a bigot, and, frankly, you're really not making your points in any cogent matter.
homosexuality is considered abnormal human behavior overwhelmingly by the majority of human on earth. homosexuality should be called combative behavior. cause it goes against normalcy, totaly!!! you have your climatologist and I have mine and I guess yours are the one that are right ,yea you're close minded. universities, bastians of liberal thinking, you are right ILL BE LUCKY IF i FIND A REPUTABLE CLIMATOLOGIST THERE

Last edited by gysmo; 08-27-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Indiana
2,046 posts, read 1,577,664 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimme View Post
evolution and global warming are not matters of belief--which properly belongs in the realm of religion. Rather those issues are matters of science--which is not faith-based but fact-based. When the facts don't support a particular theory it is foolishness to continue "believing" in that theory. Right now molecular biology has pretty well discredited darwin's theory of evolution. And global warming was always based on junk science and politics. So you don't have to be a social conservative not to subscribe to either theory.

As for so-called gay marriage here, too, one can oppose it for reasons unrelated to social conservatism by which, i assume, you mean the so-called religious right. The marriage of homosexuals defies the laws of nature upon which millennia of cultural practices were formed. It is an attempt to normalize the aberrant.

Moreover homosexual marriage puts society on a slippery slope where all sexual norms are questioned. Case in point: At a recent conference of psychologists the classification of pedophilia as a psychological pathology was challenged--just as happened in the early 1970's with respect to homosexuality. That's where the acceptance of aberration and depravity begins.

It is the left that defies reason and science in the service of trendy theories which do significant harm to society.
well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Flyover Country
26,211 posts, read 19,574,892 times
Reputation: 21679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
It's easy: They really don't care about fiscal constraint (see spending from 2001-2009) and are using it as an excuse to try and gut spending on progressive programs that help America in order to further their tax breaks and subsidies.

Throw in war and torture and you get the definition of evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM
 
30,164 posts, read 18,756,263 times
Reputation: 21008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.

1. A conservative must appeal to all elements of the party to be elected. This is true, as no democrat will ever vote republican, therefore the "socially liberal" platform is one that would never achieve a nomination for a republican.

2. Global warming is a hoax. It would be akin to believing in Santa and Leprachauns. Being a conservative and extremely gullible are somewhat mutually exclusive.

3. Gay marriage is issue number 987. Someone needs to remind you that we are in a recession and the federal treasury is broke.

4. Essentially everyone "believes" in evolution. While it is a "theory", the scientific evidence is essentially irrefutable.


Voting for a liberal who will bankrupt the nation keep unemployment high does no one any good. States can and will decide most social issues, so those issues on a national platform are essentially irrelevent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top