Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Reputation: 3373

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
"Public libraries"??? You lost me there.
I think they might have been referring to another thread in which an anti-gay bigot was bemoaning the fact that unlike in the good old days, today's libraries have not been scrubbed clean of any material that might mention gays in a positive or even neutral manner. Many conservatives believe that public libraries should be used as tools to advance the Christian right social agenda instead of forums in which a wide variety of information is presented and people can make up their own minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Reputation: 15135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Trust me, I'd love it if any politician showed more fiscal sanity. But the problem with being so socially repugnant, is owned by the Republican/Conservatives. Not all Republicans vote against gay marriage, but if you do the overwhelmingly likelihood is you're a Republican. Not all Republicans are against abortion, but if you are , the overwhelming likelihood is you're a Republican... I can go on..
You're continuing to prove me right.

The point of your OP was fiscal sanity, yet you've done little more than rant about social issues. That tells me that you're really not all that interested in the fiscal aspect of what you posted, and instead were just looking for a reason to bash Republicans.

ETA: Oh, and you still haven't addressed the fact that you're not asking why the social liberals aren't more fiscally sound. Isn't that a question worth asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:53 PM
 
15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Reputation: 28701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Because liberals didnt spawn something like this:

Extremism in America - Westboro Baptist Church: About WBC

westboro baptists
Do you know for a fact that members of the Westboro Baptist Church are politically conservatives? They are virulently anti-semitic and anti-miltary which conforms more to American liberalism than conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
 
15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Reputation: 28701
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The point of your OP was fiscal sanity, yet you've done little more than rant about social issues. That tells me that you're really not all that interested in the fiscal aspect of what you posted, and instead were just looking for a reason to bash Republicans.
Very astute on your part Swagger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Reputation: 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're continuing to prove me right.

The point of your OP was fiscal sanity, yet you've done little more than rant about social issues. That tells me that you're really not all that interested in the fiscal aspect of what you posted, and instead were just looking for a reason to bash Republicans.

ETA: Oh, and you still haven't addressed the fact that you're not asking why the social liberals aren't more fiscally sound. Isn't that a question worth asking?
I don't understand what point you think you are making?

I choose to address social conservatism among those who purport to be fiscally responsible. If you want the lack of fiscal discipline among social liberals to be addressed, start your own thread.

And, yes, I'd like to know why many social liberals aren't more fiscally sound. However, that's not what I started the discussion about. Again, threads are free. Go start one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM
 
15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Reputation: 7020
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I think that conservative minded people are much more open minded than liberal/progressives.
How on earth have you come to that conclusion based on history? The very definition of Conservatism is one that opposes progression and open mindedness to stick to tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM
 
15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Reputation: 7020
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not trying to rattle your cage or anything, but I gotta ask...

The Founders believed our rights came from God.

When they made this assertion, they were clearly referring to the God of the Bible.
Which founders would those be? You do know you have nearly nothing in common religiously with the founders right? Adams, Franklin, and Jefferson all rejected the Trinity and Jesus' divinity. Jefferson also rejected miracles, the resurrection, virgin birth, and the bulk of the Bible.

Christian Fundamentalism, which you seem to ascribe to based on my observations, did not exist when this country was founded.


Quote:
BTW Evolution means different things to different people.
No it doesn't. It has a very accepted definition in science.

Quote:
My revulsion to homosexuality is part of my behavioral immune system which evolved over countless generations to help me avoid pathogens for which I might be poorly equipped to defend myself.

Are you tolerant of this natural reflexive condition which I was born with and cannot change?
As long as you stop trying to force your beliefs on other people, I don't give a darn. But seeing as you believe your beliefs trump other people's beliefs, clearly you do not deserve tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Reputation: 15135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I don't understand what point you think you are making?
It's pretty straightforward. Your OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?
indicates that you're wanting the government to be more fiscally conservative. That was what the primary question is addressing, after all. But you're not interested in that - not really. You're interested in bashing conservatives over social issues. That's fine and all, but why try to mask it with a false pretense? Why not just bash conservatives straight up? You do it in every other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
That's funny, considering that's what you've been doing since the very first post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
 
59,111 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Reputation: 14285
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
I am constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge posters show when they start threads making huge false claims before doing a little research.

Look up the Log Cabin Republicans.

If you have never heard of them, maybe you need to expand your media resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Reputation: 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am constantly amazed at the lack of knowledge posters show when they start threads making huge false claims before doing a little research.

Look up the Log Cabin Republicans.

If you have never heard of them, maybe you need to expand your media resources.
I've heard of them. So what? I've never had the opportunity to vote for any of them. Are you trying to say that the Log Cabin Republicans represent the mainstream? I didn't claim that there were no gays in the Republican party. I am bemoaning the fact that fiscal sanity most often comes at the price of an extremist right wing social agenda that I can't support. That has nothing to do with Log Cabin Republicans.

Before you claim I have a "lack of knowledge" or have made "false claims" take a minute to comprehend the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top