Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Reputation: 5145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's pretty straightforward. Your OP:

indicates that you're wanting the government to be more fiscally conservative. That was what the primary question is addressing
Since I made the OP, if it's allright with you, I think I'll decide what question I am addressing.

If you want to make that decision, again, please start your own thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Reputation: 8971
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Do you know for a fact that members of the Westboro Baptist Church are politically conservatives? They are virulently anti-semitic and anti-miltary which conforms more to American liberalism than conservatism.
really? wow...liberals are anti-Semitic now? ///westboro previous website was ihate....(****).com. Google it...sorry sr. Mods pls censor that site from westboro as they preach violence

They are archaic and xenophobic. petitioning war veterans funerals is pretty hateful .

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-24-2011 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Reputation: 12648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Not to rattle your cage, but you are EXACTLY what I am talking about.

I don't care where you think rights came from or if you believe in God. I am Jewish, and I am sure have a different conception of God than you do.

The fact that you have the arrogance to pretend you know what God wants in terms of marriage-- and that your rights come from God, but but mine are denied by him-- is disgusting.

The fact that you are revolted by homosexuality and chalk it up to anything other than bigotry is only further evidence to your being a prime example of a fiscal conservative with such repugnant social views that I would vote for just about anyone else rather than risk putting your ilk in power.


I respect your religious differences and hope you would respect mine.

A word to the wise, any rights bestowed by man can be taken away by man.

I also understand that your sexual attraction to your own sex is nothing you planned, and while I find it disgusting, I also recognize it isn't for me to decide what is right for you. However, do you expect heterosexuals to respect your sexuality because you claim to have been born gay when you don't respect others who have a natural, innate aversion to homosexuality?

Why is the condition into which you claim to have been born (homosexual) superior to the one into which I was born (disgusted by it)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Reputation: 8971
I have no respect for a religion that preaches hatred. i was raised catholic, they never had the hate sermons that Baptists preach now.

Does Jesus also support Warren Jeffs as a pedophile in the name of religion? I think not. He is a sociopath and hate monger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM
 
30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Reputation: 20884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
..................because fiscally irresponsible liberal behavior bankrupted the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Reputation: 22092
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
There are more important things to worry about. Worrying about things like this right now is selfish.
Yes it is. So why is it that the conservative states are wasting valuable legislative time and money trying to put more and more restrictions on abortion instead of trying to create jobs for their citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Reputation: 5145
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I also understand that your sexual attraction to your own sex is nothing you planned, and while I find it disgusting, I also recognize it isn't for me to decide what is right for you. However, do you expect heterosexuals to respect your sexuality because you claim to have been born gay when you don't respect others who have a natural, innate aversion to homosexuality?

Why is the condition into which you claim to have been born (homosexual) superior to the one into which I was born (disgusted by it)?
Are you really trying to claim moral equivalency between being bigoted against gay people and the gay peoples' reaction to said bigotry? Really? This is your argument?

Is an African American's distaste for racisim the same as racisim itself?

What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to think this way?

No, my distaste for your bigotry is not the moral equivalent of the bigotry itself.

Neither homosexuality or bigotry are conditions in the way you seem to claim they are. Homosexuality is a normative activity on the scale of human sexuality.

Bigotry is bigotry. It is hateful and wrong.

Hope I cleared that up for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Reputation: 22092
Loving your posts, mlassoff, wish I could rep every single one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Reputation: 12648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Are you really trying to claim moral equivalency between being bigoted against gay people and the gay peoples' reaction to said bigotry? Really? This is your argument?

Is an African American's distaste for racism the same as racism itself?

What kind of mental gymnastics does it take to think this way?

No, my distaste for your bigotry is not the moral equivalent of the bigotry itself.

Neither homosexuality or bigotry are conditions in the way you seem to claim they are. Homosexuality is a normative activity on the scale of human sexuality.

Bigotry is bigotry. It is hateful and wrong.

Hope I cleared that up for you.


You would have a point if the disgust in question were directed at persons for being of a certain race. The disgust is directed at persons who engage in specific risky behaviors (gay sex).

http://lesleyduncan.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SchallerDuncan2007.doc (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Reputation: 12648
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Not trying to rattle your cage or anything, but I gotta ask...

The Founders believed our rights came from God.

When they made this assertion, they were clearly referring to the God of the Bible.

I also believe our rights come from God.

From whom does a right to marry one's own sex come?

BTW Evolution means different things to different people.

My revulsion to homosexuality is part of my behavioral immune system which evolved over countless generations to help me avoid pathogens for which I might be poorly equipped to defend myself.

Are you tolerant of this natural reflexive condition which I was born with and cannot change?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Do you support all 613 of Gods laws? 613 Mitzvot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


If not why? You are picking few that don't apply to you and focusing on them.

Jesus said Love is the only commandment, not using the force of government to uphold the laws.



Who said anything about Jewish Law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top