Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please.... What's more important. People getting back to work and keeping their homes or gays that want to marry? Is the economy more important or is getting money from a death more important?

I know the answer that most selfish people will give. The money GIVEN to them from a death is more important than prosperity in the country.
I'm thinking it's not either/or. We don't stop the world to work on one problem at a time because no problem will ever be totally eliminated. Making equal right for gays isn't taking away from stopping the war or fixing the economy. Not everyone involved in law or politics can forcus on just one thing, like doesn't work like that. Even if they did it wouldn't matter.

We juggle all the issues in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And yet the only President in the last 30 years with fiscal restraint was a Democrat.
Close...he only found fiscal restraint when faced with a government shutdown.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We juggle all the issues in real life.
No we don't, we prioritize them.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
No we don't, we prioritize them.
I walk and chew gum at the same time

Not everyone has ability to do something about whatever it is you are fretting about. Should they sit on their hands while we stop the war? Should we not do something about X because someone else is dealing with Y? You have a weird vision of life.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:

Not everyone has ability to do something about whatever it is you are fretting about. Should they sit on their hands while we stop the war? Should we not do something about X because someone else is dealing with Y? You have a weird vision of life.
By doing nothing about stopping the wars, gay marriage, etc., they are implicitly supporting the status quo. That is the very definition of social conservatism.

Reinstating DADT, supporting Constitutional amendements to ban gay marriage is social regression. I won't vote for either type.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
excellent question. I am sick of hearing about religion when the US economy is in the dumpster... all they do is alienate swing voters.....

Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
excellent question. I am sick of hearing about religion when the US economy is in the dumpster... all they do is alienate swing voters.....
Agreed. I wish the debate moderators would stop focusing so many questions on the religious points.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Huh? Are you saying that states that have made same sex marriage legal doesn't give the couple the benefits as a hetero married couple? If that's true, why even do it and why were gays so happy about it?
(1) The federal government does not give the benefits, even though some states that allow gay marriage may have rectified that problem. Hence, there is no state one can move to which rectifies that problem, it can only be solved at the federal level.

(2) Gay are "happy" about states that have changed their state policies. That does not mean they viewed state gay marriage as the holy grail goal, as they understand how law works in a multi-tiered country that has laws at federal, state, and local levels; and they understand that there is no "one-law fix" means which can accomplish the task. Hence, getting what they want is one state is viewed as a step in the right direction for them, but it does not solve their problems in the entirety, as it does not address federal policies.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I am wondering: How come if I support a fiscally conservative candidate, it usually means I am supporting a candidate who does not support gay marriage, doesn't believe in evolution and/or global warming?

Why can't we have a fiscally conservative candidate who isn't using the fiscal conservatism as a proxy to attack boys kissing, public libraries and separation of church and state?

Please think about your answer... I am not interested in hearing talking points regurgitated.
There are many conservatives who believe in evolution, global warming and support civil unions for gays. (BTW....obama is against gay marriage!)

You will have a very difficult time finding a democrat who doesn't support abortion, climate change legislation and believe in evolution.

I think that conservative minded people are much more open minded than liberal/progressives.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:

I was only answering the question laid out in the title. These social issues are small peanuts in the grand scheme of things. That's great if you think differently, just don't complain when things get worse because you want to focus on the little things at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies