Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I know those who consider themselves liberals find this alarming, but what about political and fiscal conservatives who do not define themselves as Social or Religious conservatives?

The New Apostolic Reformation: The Evangelicals Engaged In Spiritual Warfare : NPR
You are alarmed by people who pray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
I had to rep you for this post. We can only pray for reason to prevail, but I wouldn't put my money on it.
I don't want to change the direction of this thread but I have seen God do some astounding things in my family's life but only after I got on my knees.

You are very right though that reason must prevail before anything good can happen.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You are alarmed by people who pray?
No. By people who judge.

And those who want to use the government as an instrument to enforce their judgements and punish those who do not agree.

Mostly, I'm against people who hate in the name of God...

Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I don't want to change the direction of this thread but I have seen God do some astounding things in my family's life but only after I got on my knees.

You are very right though that reason must prevail before anything good can happen.
Yep, God has helped me at times I thought I didn't deserve it, and made me face the music when I thought it what I had done was "no big deal".

Reason seems to be a dying commodity these days.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Obviously you have no understanding of Christianity. To you, anything but a quasi Christian is a threat. You can't deal with those who really believe.

I suppose you think we are (as many of your ilk have dared to say) as bad as Muslim extremists.
Hello! Westboro Baptist anyone?

Murder an abortion doctor, anyone?

Bomb abortion clinics?

How about that Bachmann? See her 'movie' Guinea Pig Kids?
How about that clip of her SQUATTING IN THE BUSHES WHILE SPYING ON GAYS?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Obviously you have no understanding of Christianity. To you, anything but a quasi Christian is a threat. You can't deal with those who really believe.

I suppose you think we are (as many of your ilk have dared to say) as bad as Muslim extremists.
Please define what you mean by "Quasi Christian"?

I'm just curious, no need to get all indignant.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,472,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's one. But any that support "separation from the world" worry me. Even some in the home school movement, patriarchal movement, etc. If the world isn't looking then people can pretty much do whatever the hell they want and that kind of thing usually is headed by someone on a power trip.
If that separation thing worked both ways and they stopped voting and lobbying, I'd have no trouble with it. But most of them want the option of telling everyone else how to live while pulling out the religion card as a way of avoiding scrutiny and 'bad influences'. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
As bad in your own way, and certainly more of a day-to-day nuisance in the United States, without question.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
Quote:
Yep, God has helped me at times I thought I didn't deserve it, and made me face the music when I thought it what I had done was "no big deal".
I think the help comes after one is humble but I'm no bible scholar.

I wouldn't be so hard on the loss of reason in our society. Many folks are better at verbal skills than writing and these forums can easily lead to misunderstandings. Once that first punch is thrown, it's katy bar the door. Also, the anonymous nature of internet forums can turn a Spongebob Squarepants into a young Muhamad Ali. Remove the curtain of anonymity, allow a verbal discussion of issues and people suddenly seem to possess a lot more reason. I say usually. Before I retired, I sat through a lot of folded-armed meetings where it may have worked better had everyone had sidearms. I'm kidding of course.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
There is an age old war going on, Christian vs Muslims...which side are you on? Atheist, you don't have to believe but don't think that is going to save you either.
Neither. If you all only killed each other off, things would be splendid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies