Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:18 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,858,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Ok.......... To be able to discuss something i would imagine that you would have to have some reliable or first hand knowledge of what you are discussing.
Having lived in both the UK and the USA I have first hand knowledge of how both countries deal with the gun issue. I also have first hand knowledge of what it is like to live under both systems.... I can bring this to the table.
Exactly what knowledge do you have of both the UK and the USA gun culture and what do you base your opinions on?
Unfortunately, this thread is full of people making assumptions about the UK and Europe as well as people making assumptions about the USA. Much of these assumptions are rooted in a failure to adequately inform themselves of what really happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,820,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Unfortunately, this thread is full of people making assumptions about the UK and Europe as well as people making assumptions about the USA. Much of these assumptions are rooted in a failure to adequately inform themselves of what really happens.
You are right.
They somehow get a complete understanding of the differences in how Countries work when most haven't even left their own Country

Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

76,946 posts, read 47,265,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them *shrug* Get over it already
Surely the European skeet shooters do not agree with your view.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,591,835 times
Quote:
Ok.......... To be able to discuss something i would imagine that you would have to have some reliable or first hand knowledge of what you are discussing.
Having lived in both the UK and the USA I have first hand knowledge of how both countries deal with the gun issue. I also have first hand knowledge of what it is like to live under both systems.... I can bring this to the table.
Exactly what knowledge do you have of both the UK and the USA gun culture and what do you base your opinions on?
Why do you criticize me? I seem to have quite similar views as you and only tried to mitigate your remark on store clerks and policemen, which was considered typical European, but which I don't share

Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,591,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He's from Germany now living in Portugal. So he's been probably brainwashed into believing guns might bring out the inner Nazi in all Germans or something For that record, no gun I ever shot has brought out any blood-thirsty barbarian in my blood (I'm 1/4 German). I really suggest he join a gun club and have some fun. My gf's family (who are all English) belong to a gun club and have a positive opinion and experience about guns. Go figure. The ones who are hoplophobic usually never handled a gun in their life, much less shot one. Guns are no more bad than hammers or knives.

Neuling, I never had the urge to shoot a living, breathing person because I used to play Counter-Strike and Goldeneye 007, I owned a rifle before and shot at targets and never thought of shooting others before. Where do you get your ideas from??? I think you really need to spend some time in the U.S. and/or Switzerland because the gun-free bubble you lived in Germany and Portugal is clouding your judgment. Join a shooting club over there and have some fun. I'm sure you'll like it. Guns are no more bad than hammers or knives. They are tools, nothing more. Guns are not possessed by some evil spirit.
As I said, at the subconscious level shooting anything will leave its trace.

No thanks, why on earth would I even touch a weapon? I am very proud of my peaceful nature. And if I were merely out for a new hobby, there are hundreds or thousands of peaceful hobbies to choose from

Old 08-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Surely the European skeet shooters do not agree with your view.
To shoot skeet etc for sport is not owning guns at home for protection.
As i said earlier i think it was stupid to have a blanket ban against kids seeing the Olympic gun sports... they have now reversed that.
I have used guns with the British Army and have used guns when clay pigeon shooting. I am not anti gun just anti universal gun ownership with hardly any gun restrictions. Guns are LETHAL and should be treated as such. Too many with guns is a lethal cocktail.
As normal on here the posts are extreme and when someone has something reasonable to say they are accused of being a "sissy" or a Democrat etc etc.
I love reading posts from people with extremely biopic views and even less experience or knowledge of how things work outside the USA yet it doesn't stop them from giving 'informed" advice..... Normally their opinions are based on media reports.
As to your post.... Many Skeet shooters do agree with my opinion and are more than happy using their guns just for sport.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM

76,946 posts, read 47,265,132 times
Quote:
To shoot skeet etc for sport is not owning guns at home for protection.
As i said earlier i think it was stupid to have a blanket ban against kids seeing the Olympic gun sports... they have now reversed that.
I have used guns with the British Army and have used guns when clay pigeon shooting. I am not anti gun just anti universal gun ownership with hardly any gun restrictions. Guns are LETHAL and should be treated as such. Too many with guns is a lethal cocktail.
As normal on here the posts are extreme and when someone has something reasonable to say they are accused of being a "sissy" or a Democrat etc etc.
I love reading posts from people with extremely biopic views and even less experience or knowledge of how things work outside the USA yet it doesn't stop them from giving 'informed" advice..... Normally their opinions are based on media reports.
As to your post.... Many Skeet shooters do agree with my opinion and are more than happy using their guns just for sport.
I wasn't talking defence vs sport. I was replying to a post which simply stated "We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them ". I know many Europeans disagree with this view. For example in Switzerland and Finland gun owneship is quite common.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,858,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I wasn't talking defence vs sport. I was replying to a post which simply stated "We don't like guns over here in Europe, we don't want them, we don't need them ". I know many Europeans disagree with this view. For example in Switzerland and Finland gun owneship is quite common.
Most gun "ownership" in Switzerland is military. Given their militia system, soldiers keep their guns at home.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Most gun "ownership" in Switzerland is military. Given their militia system, soldiers keep their guns at home.
Damn Jaggy... i can't stop agreeing with you....lol
Nice to see someone on here that has actual knowledge of the World and isn't a walking 'soundbite", like many on here

Old 08-28-2011, 08:13 PM

18,131 posts, read 15,531,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Of course it was a rather provocative thing to say, but then again, even if one doesn't deliberately shoot at a living being, I think that thought is still present at the subconscious level (similar issue as with ego shooter video games). I mean, what else is the point in shooting at a dead object as a sport? Only to prove you don't have a vision problem and you don't shiver too much?
No....your assumptions are a bit off base. Shooting is a discipline. There is an adage amongt we competitive shooters...the game is 95% mental ...the other 5% is irrelevant. The object is not to simply hit a target. Any idiot can do that. Shot to shot consistency, mind over matter, control of ones emotions. All play in hugely.
If violent fantasy plays a role I have not seen it. Lime I said earlier, if exposure of an audience to violence is the issue boxing is FAR worse than shooting. I have been shooting competitively since I was 10. Just like any other sport, its not for everyone. Me...I think soccer, football, basketball etc are silly. Different strokes man.
Bear in mind there are a LOT of shooting disciplines. I suppose itcould be called a martial art. And there is a lot more involved in shooting than just squeezing a trigger. I really don't get the whole "testosterone deficiency " or whatever slam that keeps getting tossed out about shooting. Boxing, Karate, UFC fighting, even good old football are more ate up with testosterone junkies than shooting. Nobodies slamming those jack off jocks with such insulting nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies