Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,049,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
It is a cop out for many, but I think most can agree that if you claim to follow Christ, then murder someone, you're probably fooling yourself.
So everyone who participated in the Crusades thought they were Christian, but really weren't?

I don't think that fanatics actions should be assigned to regular folks, but that thinking seems to only be in force for a persons own faith. Like Bill jackhole O'Reilly stating that the Norway shooter is not Christian, but any bad person of any other faith (or non-faith like atheism) is a representation of the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
So everyone who participated in the Crusades thought they were Christian, but really weren't?
Probably. Jesus said, "by your fruit you shall know them". Jesus had very high standards for his followers. Now if they asked forgiveness, repented and turned away from doing that, then that's different.

Quote:
I don't think that fanatics actions should be assigned to regular folks, but that thinking seems to only be in force for a persons own faith. Like Bill jackhole O'Reilly stating that the Norway shooter is not Christian, but any bad person of any other faith (or non-faith like atheism) is a representation of the whole.
Yeah, I'd doubt the Norway shooter was a Christian, just like I think muslim terrorists aren't living true to Islam

Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,519 times
Well, there's still way more christians than atheists, but assuming there were a solid 50% of each, I have no doubt there would be more christians in jail lol. I'm going off of the typical american christian.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:36 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Percentages are meaningless without something to compare it to. For instance, what percentage of the population at large call themselves atheist?

Anyway, "Christian" is rather a vague term to many people. Several of the Mexican drug lords proudly wear a cross, and will readily refer to themselves as Christian, but I doubt they would fill the bill. Others would simply call themselves 'Christian' due to their being born and raised in a household that identified themselves as such.

I believe the percentage of people on the various death rows across the country calling themselves Christian probably approaches 100 percent, on the old theory that there are no atheists in a foxhole under fire.
75% of Americans identify themselves as Christians, but that does not mean that are Christians as in 'belog to Christ'. If you asked them "do you have a relationship with Christ", many would say "no", or "what do you mean". They say they are Christian because they were born in a family which identifies them as Christian. It is a cultural thing.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 AM

[quote=mackinac81;20600855]
Quote:

Probably. Jesus said, "by your fruit you shall know them". Jesus had very high standards for his followers. Now if they asked forgiveness, repented and turned away from doing that, then that's different.

Yeah, I'd doubt the Norway shooter was a Christian, just like I think muslim terrorists aren't living true to Islam

Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Another meaningless poll. Many in prison call themselves American, but they commit crimes against their own people and country. hypocrisy knows no believe (or lack thereof) system.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,706,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
The pollster must be retarded in the principles of statistics.

With atheists being under 2 to 3% of the overall population, what else does he expect??

Law of proportions, jabroni

Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Another meaningless poll. Many in prison call themselves American, but they commit crimes against their own people and country. hypocrisy knows no believe (or lack thereof) system.
"For the Lord hears the needy and does not despise his own people who are prisoners." - Psalm 69:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The pollster must be retarded in the principles of statistics.

With atheists being under 2 to 3% of the overall population, what else does he expect??

Law of proportions, jabroni
Where do you get that number?

Spoiler
Since it's a good bit higher in in a place called reality Demographics of atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are going to just make stuff up, be sure to do it with something harder to disprove.

Last edited by subsound; 08-25-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,112 times
Don't underestimate the growing percentage of muslims in prison. Or their proselytizing efforts.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:42 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
The Norway guy actually said he was not a believer, so you better believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies