Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,048,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You say hunt grizzlies and yet you support the US government declaration of endangered species for them. I really don't understand how libs reason.
When did I ever say such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,220,517 times
I'm sure there's a high correlation with internet commando basement dwellers who've never seen a grizzly and those who support charges being brought against this person.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 PM

679 posts, read 612,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There is, as yet, nothing to really get upset about.

Since the grizzly enjoys protected status, and the bear was killed by this person, then natually charges must be brought. However, once all is said and done, if the person's version is borne out, the charges will likely be dropped.

As for the gentleman in question calling the authorities to inform them of the bear's death it is, more than likely, a sign of his innate honesty, as suggested by his father.

However, they were probably also aware that many of these bears are tagged with a transmitter. Hence simply burying the bear (as the father said they could have done) would not have been a wise choice.
Thank you! I'm glad someone finally said it

the fact that he's had charges placed on him is completely and totally justified and normal. Its against the law to kill a grizzly, you have to press charges.

It would be like killing a person in self defense and everyone getting mad that the person still had charges brought against them. That's the law, that's the way it works.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,297,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I'm sure there's a high correlation with internet commando basement dwellers who've never seen a grizzly and those who support charges being brought against this person.
No 5#!t. A buch of citified, pajama-clad, 40 year old virgins showing off to thier imaginary girlfriends.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:17 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,372,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There is, as yet, nothing to really get upset about.

Since the grizzly enjoys protected status, and the bear was killed by this person, then natually charges must be brought. However, once all is said and done, if the person's version is borne out, the charges will likely be dropped.

As for the gentleman in question calling the authorities to inform them of the bear's death it is, more than likely, a sign of his innate honesty, as suggested by his father.

However, they were probably also aware that many of these bears are tagged with a transmitter. Hence simply burying the bear (as the father said they could have done) would not have been a wise choice.

Can the guy SUE the government for allowing its "gubmint bears" to trespass on private property? The transmitter allows the rangers to know where the bear is at all times.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You can strike me off that list. I've seen grizzly or two while backpacking in Glacier. One of my closest friends was (he died 2 years ago) from Troy MT, and we took a yearly trip up there. I've also seen a few from a plane in Alaska.

Seen a black bear or two also from back in my Boy Scout days as a youth.

And I still think this idiot should be charged (unless of course he actually was defending himself and his children from a bear trying to get into his house).

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,297,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You can strike me of that list. I've seen grizzly or two while backpacking in Glacier. One of my closest friends was (he died 2 years ago) from Troy MT, and we took a yearly trip up there. I've also seen a few from a plane in Alaska.

Seen black bear or two also back in my Boy Scout days as a youth.
Since you've actually seen 'em in the wild perhaps you can tell those inclined to put this dad in the pokey just how close you'd let one get before your neck started to sweat.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

50,028 posts, read 63,371,030 times
I know that black bears and their cubs live quite peaceably around humans, but I'll reserve judgment about grizzlies. I have heard they are more aggresive?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Since you've actually seen 'em in the wild perhaps you can tell those inclined to put this dad in the pokey just how close you'd let one get before your neck started to sweat.
If I encountered one out in the open and it made any move towards me I considered aggressive and I had a gun, I'd shoot it dead without a second thought.

If one came on my 20 wilderness acres and went near my poorly secured pigs (which I assume are nowhere near the house - who the hell would want a pig pen near their house?), I'd go in the house and wait for the bear to leave. If it approached the house and tried to get in (climb in through a window, break down the door) - then I'd shoot it dead without a second thought.

Then again, I wouldn't consider raising pigs in Grizzly Bear country. That just strikes me as dumb.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:27 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,816,250 times
Quote:
You can strike me off that list. I've seen grizzly or two while backpacking in Glacier. One of my closest friends was (he died 2 years ago) from Troy MT, and we took a yearly trip up there. I've also seen a few from a plane in Alaska.

Seen a black bear or two also from back in my Boy Scout days as a youth.

And I still think this idiot should be charged (unless of course he actually was defending himself and his children from a bear trying to get into his house).
That's more like it.

Quote:
It strikes me as strange that conservatives would give to the Sierra Club. The advocate for alternative energy, stopping domestic oil drilling, weaning off coal. They're all for government solutions to stopping global warming, which they fervently believe in. They make political endorsements. In 2010, the local chapter here in Colorado make 46 endorsements: 46 Democrats, 0 Republicans.

I know many Sierra Club members (my parents included). I'd describe every one of them as extremely liberal.
I'm a big-time conservationist. I really support the ideas of conserving land like national and state parks and forests and I support private advocacy groups like the Sierra Club for promoting such ideas. What I don't support is the notion of man-made climate change and everything that entails that like carbon taxes, Agenda 21, and wind energy. I recycle all the plastic and paper I use and wish more people did the same, and I use electricity wisely by not leaving on lights I don't use, I have the central A/C shut off between 6 AM and 9 PM all summer and have the thermostat set between 78 and 80, I drive a car with a manual transmission and shift the gears so my RPMs don't go above 2500 on street level driving (and get around 32 mpg city with only a gas engine)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies