Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I didn't know any of them great big grizzlies lived near your neck of the woods. What kind of bears do live in the woods there?
Black bears.

Not a lot near us, mostly in the Upper Peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know that black bears and their cubs live quite peaceably around humans, but I'll reserve judgment about grizzlies. I have heard they are more aggresive?
They will kill a dog.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well... There's a challenge. I support this going to court. I've seen Grizzlies about 20 times or so in the past year, with nothing but some trees and shrubs between us. The most memorable time was when I came out, and one was directly outside, it ran away down my trail like a racehorse checking back every so often to make sure it wasn't being chased. We've never really had a nuisance bear either, we had a blackie who took two trips to our neighbors grill and we haven't seen him back there after being scared off (which is a shame, I was looking forward to some sausage). You just make adjustments to how you deal with things living where we do.

I suspect that some people on both sides of the argument are internet commando basement dwellers who've never seen a Grizzly outside of a zoo, and think it's as deadly and armored as an M1 Abrams (yes we've all seen the threads where people have recommended a 50BMG as bear defense), or the other side who think a Grizz is just a big teddy bear. Just a note, it's neither, they can kill you as slick as snot, but most of the time they'll just leave you alone. If they begin posturing, huffing, chomping etc. then you might be in some trouble, certainly the risk of attack has gone up an order of magnitude, but most of the time, they'll glance over at you, you glance back, they get on with their business, and so do you (while still paying attention to it).

There's no evidence from the report that the bears were a threat, to anyone. That doesn't mean that they weren't, but it also doesn't mean that they were.

If the Guy wanted to protect his pigs, some polywire electric fencing does the job. He should know that living where he does. If the bears were a nuisance where he is, he should have called Fish and Game, who would have tranquilized them, and hauled them off either to a sanctuary, or into the middle of the woods somewhere else. Even if they didn't, then he has a paper trail to indicate he didn't just shoot them on sight, which looks better legally speaking.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This is insanity squared. I guess he should have played "bear whisperer" and shood the friggen bear away. What kind of ridiculous loons are running the show anymore. Like the guy says he shoulda just buried the dam thing and went about his business. That's what everybody will be doing from now on thanks to these moonbat enviro loon rules.

"He said his son was concerned for the safety of his children playing outside when a mother grizzly and two cubs wandered onto his property on May 8.

"The charge of killing a threatened species is punishable by up to a year in prison, a maximum fine of $50,000, and up to one year of supervised release."

Grizzly shooter garners support - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News
Guy kills bear to protect kids and faces $50,000 fine and one year in jail.

Guy beats the living snot out of his dog and kills it, goes back to play football making millions.

Yah, nothing screwed up here at all.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
wonder if he will report it or just bury her
Why deprive the animals of a perfectly good corpse? I'm sure there are other woodland creatures that would benefit by eating the left overs.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
...If the bears were a nuisance where he is, he should have called Fish and Game, who would have tranquilized them, and hauled them off either to a sanctuary, or into the middle of the woods somewhere else. Even if they didn't, then he has a paper trail to indicate he didn't just shoot them on sight, which looks better legally speaking.
Fish and game would probably have destroyed the bear. They did so with another one that had become habituated to humans, about a year or so ago. That was just over the hill from where this incident took place. From a legal standpoint though, having the paper trail does make sense.

edit to add...ok, it was 4 years ago. time flies.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=213553 (broken link)

Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What kind of ridiculous loons are running the show anymore.
Idaho is a very conservative state, essentially Utah part II.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Naw, bears aren't like that.

To bad he didn't have a dog.

My hubby hunts bear with his hunting dogs.

They will tree a bear in a hurry.
Not a Grizz-black bears yes. My dogs tree black bears all the time in my yard and it usually does the trick. The bear is so freaked out it usually doesn't come back. I don't even have bear dogs. Karelian Bear dogs even have a tough time warding off a grizz.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Dude, if you choose to live in the wilderness, you have to learn to deal with wildlife without killing it - especially endangered wildlife.

Wandering onto your 20 wilderness acres does not make a bear "aggressive."

I would love to see you look out your back window at your kids happily playing in the yard and behind them a grizz wandering around looking for food. You would do something to. Once bears establish a pattern, they stick to it and it's very hard to get them off of it. That bear would've continuted to come back day after day.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Why deprive the animals of a perfectly good corpse? I'm sure there are other woodland creatures that would benefit by eating the left overs.
True...it should remain in the food chain.

Of course, people could eat it too. (not me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies