Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 02:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

How about getting congress to keep their greedy little fingers out of SS and eliminate the fakers who're receiving SS money they don't deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:03 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I don't agree with him all the time, but I love the fact that with Bernie, you will know what his stand is on various issues ... like Social Security.

Sanders looks to expand payroll tax - The Hill's On The Money
I would admire Sanders if he proposed means testing Congressional salaries and benefits. In other words you could serve in Congress if you are rich but you wouldn't get paid since the rich don't need it.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He'd have my respect if he would have said "I'll be damned if I'll let them raid Social Security"

What he actually said was a meaningless soundbite.
Yep Bernie has been there many years and probally voted for spending bills that did raid the trust fund. He also was not honest when he says SS has a surplus of 2T, that would be true if Sanders and the other leaders did not raid it. All that is there is bonds that can be redeemed only by our broke ass federal gvt. Is it any wonder that Sanders is looking for new revenue ?

Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He'd have my respect if he would have said "I'll be damned if I'll let them raid Social Security"

What he actually said was a meaningless soundbite.
Koch Bros are trying to destroy social security through misinformation, Must watch video!, page 1

Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,573 times
Protection for social security is important----reform is indeed necessary and will happen.

My parents, grandparents, and many other relatives, who were not high rollers, were grateful for the assistance and helping hand that ss afforded them. They were not there to collect handouts and government cookies, but were grateful that there was a support system for seniors who struggled all their lives to provide for their families.

I know that changes in entitlements are forthcoming----and so be it. Creative and constructive changes need to be made to reduce deficits and insure that we have stability.

That being said, while understanding the need for entitlement adjustments, I dont appreciate comparing ss to a ponzi scheme and hinting as scuttling the system.

My father,now 85, gets his $1000 a month and it allows him to live a very modest existence. Please dont tell him social security is a ponzi scheme.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 PM

How about the misinformation that Sanders spews from your site :

Social Security is not going broke,” Sanders insisted. “Social Security has a $2.2 trillion surplus… The Koch brothers want to invest your retirement funds on Wall Street, and you may lose all of your retirement savings when you get old.”

There is nothing to invest on Wall Street since Sanders and other leaders raided it

Old 08-25-2011, 04:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I don't agree with him all the time, but I love the fact that with Bernie, you will know what his stand is on various issues ... like Social Security.

Sanders looks to expand payroll tax - The Hill's On The Money
“Unfortunately, Republicans in Congress — and too many Democrats — have been discussing harmful cuts to Social Security as part of an overall scheme to balance the budget on the backs of the elderly, the sick, the children and working families,” Sanders said.""

That's why the Repugs want cuts to SS and why they think Sanders is scum...he's FOR average Americans....

Anyone doubt what he says??? Then have the guts to CALL HIM!

He can back up everything he says....but those who doubt have no guts.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
SS needs cut but not in benefits. It needs to have its qualification age risen for Baby Boomers and the benefits only cut for the rich. Rich people shouldnt get more out of SS than they pey into it. Do this and SS will last.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
How about the misinformation that Sanders spews from your site :

Social Security is not going broke,” Sanders insisted. “Social Security has a $2.2 trillion surplus… The Koch brothers want to invest your retirement funds on Wall Street, and you may lose all of your retirement savings when you get old.”

There is nothing to invest on Wall Street since Sanders and other leaders raided it
Quote:
...despite all the right-wing rhetoric, Social Security is not going bankrupt. That's a lie! The truth is that the Social Security Trust Fund has run surpluses for the last quarter-century. Today's $2.5 trillion cushion is projected to grow to $4 trillion in 2023. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, experts in this area, say Social Security will be able to pay every nickel owed to every eligible beneficiary until 2039. Got that? In case you don't, let me repeat it. The people who have studied this issue most thoroughly and have no political bias report that Social Security will be able to pay out all benefits to every eligible beneficiary for the next twenty-nine years. It is true that by 2039, if nothing is changed, Social Security will be able to pay out only about 80 percent of benefits. That is why it is important that Congress act soon to make sure Social Security is as strong in the future as it is today.
Hands Off Social Security | The Nation

Watch Bernie Sanders and Brave New Foundation investigate and reveal the Koch Brothers' campaign to kill Social Security.
http://readersupportednews.org/opini...-social-securi

Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM

[quote=sickofnyc;20610536]
Quote:
...despite all the right-wing rhetoric, Social Security is not going bankrupt. That's a lie! The truth is that the Social Security Trust Fund has run surpluses for the last quarter-century. Today's $2.5 trillion cushion is projected to grow to $4 trillion in 2023. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, experts in this area, say Social Security will be able to pay every nickel owed to every eligible beneficiary until 2039. Got that? In case you don't, let me repeat it. The people who have studied this issue most thoroughly and have no political bias report that Social Security will be able to pay out all benefits to every eligible beneficiary for the next twenty-nine years. It is true that by 2039, if nothing is changed, Social Security will be able to pay out only about 80 percent of benefits. That is why it is important that Congress act soon to make sure Social Security is as strong in the future as it is today.
Here is a chart from the same CBO :

Now we know that there is no 2T in the trust fund but bonds that can only be redeemed by the gvt. So where is all this money in the above chart coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies