Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

I think it is time for me to supply the link to the one I referred to in the OP. This tells some of what some people have done about how to keep small businesses (one mentioned has 130 workers) are beginning to deal with the law. It makes a lot of sense to me but maybe someone here can tell me why it is wrong after reading the article.

Insurance Coverage Tailored to a Worker's 'Lyfe' | Fox Small Business Center

Maybe these paragraphs could get enough interest from some to get them to read the whole article. Small businesses and their employees can certainly benefit from this service.

"The healthy, young guys and girls got off [the insurance program] and the sick people who were getting older stayed on, driving claims and insurance costs up," Cammeyer said. "It became an unmanageable thing, especially in the last few years with the economy being as it has been. We needed to manage all costs in the business, and needed to be able to help out all employees."

In an effort to reduce his costs earlier this year, he signed the business up with LyfeBank, a company that offers health reimbursement arrangements (HRA) funded by employers and managed individually by employees—lowering costs for both parties and allowing employees to choose the coverage that best suits their needs. LyfeBank Founder Randy Ray likens the company's insurance plans to car insurance plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
What i have already seen is employers that adopted the mandate in october to be grandfathered is that monay are changing the terms of employemnt for new hires. That being that if they retire before 65 ;they can stay i the compnay pool but will get no contributio form the comapny.Once 65 they alos provide no sullemnt plan any longer to medicare. They say that the terms of employemnt like a contract so they will cover existing emplyees on promised contribtuion per centage.IUf you watched the national assocaitio of manufactures meeeting on the bill months ago .With the average contribtuiop ot compoany insurnace being at 13000+ its likely many will pay the fines to avoid continuing cost raises :IMO.That aviods future liabilty problems in borrowig etc make it more predcitable as to cost they say.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:00 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
The penalties are a lot less than what they'll be paying I'm premiums.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
The penalties are a lot less than what they'll be paying I'm premiums.
Doesn't it appear that the writers of the law knew that people would drop their employees from what they had had for so long because the fines would be lower than what it cost to provide the workers with health insurance? It does to me and I think that way because they wanted to drive those employees the, what I think will be government supplied insurance. Then who is controlling all of the death panels that have been found in there.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Dear roysoldboy,
If I could I would send you a hot large pizza with sausage, onions, garlic, green peppers, anchovies, and cheddar cheese, along with a half gallon bottle of apple juice. I'm sure you would enjoy it and feel much better after a pleasant nap on the sofa. Once awake, you could rethink your thread.
Visvaldis you have been to way too many union meetings that the Repubs and my former employer were to drop our HC plan during their contract beer hall putsch.In reality the POTUS and his Dimo comrades did what the unions wanted or are they now being swamped by union members unhappy with losing their insurance? Their boys in Congress,government are the ones doing what they preached all those years ago not big business or Repubs but the recipients of our unions political money tree the DIMOS.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:16 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Interestingly, I understand from friends of mine that work at GE that their employee insurance policy requires their employees to take their spouse's insurance if available. If they want the GE insurance their spouse's salary is factored into the pricing for the GE employee.

300,000 workers worldwide and GE pushes the responsiblility onto others. CEO Immelt is on Obama's job board. Disgusting.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That also must have been said about Social Security and Medicare.
Obamacare isnt even close to the same as Social Security and medicare. Obamacare is a mandate to BUY something, Social Security and medicare are taxes and thus they are welfare programs

Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I expect nothing less than for me to lose employer insurance benefits due to Obamacare.
With or without 'Obamacare" Employers have been stopping health cover for Employees for a long time now. There are millions out there who have been working for Companies for years without health cover. Big Companies like Disney take on new employees on "part time" basis so as not to give full health care packages. No matter who wins the next election.... Worker health care will almost disappear.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
With or without 'Obamacare" Employers have been stopping health cover for Employees for a long time now. There are millions out there who have been working for Companies for years without health cover. Big Companies like Disney take on new employees on "part time" basis so as not to give full health care packages. No matter who wins the next election.... Worker health care will almost disappear.
And yet something like 90% of the nation had health insurance, and many of those who didnt, went without by choice.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There is a perverse type of competitiveness that has become popular over the past several years. It seems that some people are wishing for their neighbors to lose the benefits that they themselves don't have or have never had.

It is especially troubling that large corporations that are ripe with cash are pushing off their responsibilities on an already overburdened government system.

The Obamacare proposal will accelerate this type of behavior with the end result being a single-payer system for the majority of US citizens. Companies, state and municipal governments will quickly look at dumping their plans resulting in the cost of the plans being totally shifted to individuals. I highly doubt wages will be adjusted upward as companies carrying costs decrease while individuals costs increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies