U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
29,018 posts, read 50,200,595 times
Reputation: 21202

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - Army soldiers committed suicide last year at the highest rate in 26 years, and more than a quarter did so while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new military report.

The report, obtained by The Associated Press ahead of its scheduled release Thursday, found there were 99 confirmed suicides among active duty soldiers during 2006, up from 88 the previous year and the highest number since the 102 suicides in 1991 at the time of the Persian Gulf War.

Army suicides highest in 26 years - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 15,412,687 times
Reputation: 3008
With all due respect to those pushed to this sad extreme, I'll have to say I'm not surprised. We can only feel compassion for the unfortunate soul caught up in a bitter, nasty internecine bloodbath that defies our western ability to see any logic to the murderous slaughter, carried out by people who seem to hate our interference and our very presence, directed by a leadership that seems to have totally lost touch with the American people. Anyone, finding himself in a situation of daily, high-stress conflict, abused and hated by the local population, with seemingly no clean end in sight, is, potentially at least, at risk for desperate behavior. My hunch is that suicide isn't the only destructive emotional behavior being experienced by these guys. My heart goes out to them...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Newtown Connecticut
328 posts, read 971,788 times
Reputation: 248
Default Due Respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
With all due respect to those pushed to this sad extreme, I'll have to say I'm not surprised. We can only feel compassion for the unfortunate soul caught up in a bitter, nasty internecine bloodbath that defies our western ability to see any logic to the murderous slaughter, carried out by people who seem to hate our interference and our very presence, directed by a leadership that seems to have totally lost touch with the American people. Anyone, finding himself in a situation of daily, high-stress conflict, abused and hated by the local population, with seemingly no clean end in sight, is, potentially at least, at risk for desperate behavior. My hunch is that suicide isn't the only destructive emotional behavior being experienced by these guys. My heart goes out to them...

Every War is a nasty internecine bloodbath that defies logic....Have you ever been in a war? You certainly have a right to your opinion....You state your opinion about Iraq and Afganistan regularly yet I don't believe you understand anything beyond your opposition to the current "conflict"......If you were to say that all war is stupid ,that all wars are dreadful, that in the aftermath of all conflicts ,wars whatever people suffer deep emotional wounds, then I could say cheers to you......You don't say that so you get a good old Bronx cheer !!!!!
Spiritwalker
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 01:57 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 15,412,687 times
Reputation: 3008
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Every War is a nasty internecine bloodbath that defies logic....Have you ever been in a war? You certainly have a right to your opinion....You state your opinion about Iraq and Afganistan regularly yet I don't believe you understand anything beyond your opposition to the current "conflict"......If you were to say that all war is stupid ,that all wars are dreadful, that in the aftermath of all conflicts ,wars whatever people suffer deep emotional wounds, then I could say cheers to you......You don't say that so you get a good old Bronx cheer !!!!!
Spiritwalker
Yes, Mr. Walker--I served in the US Navy during the Viet Nam war----I was a teenager then, and didn't have the wisdom you do; perhaps you could have talked me into deserting, but I gues we'll never know--- however, I learned not to give "Bronx Cheers" to people until I knew they deserved it. Of COURSE all war is awful---that's what wars are SUPPOSED to be. The military is designed to break things, burn things, hurt people, and so demoralize the opposition that they give up and submit to your side. Haven't you ever seen a John Wayne movie?
Nevertheless, I think the present day conflict in the middle east is, to some degree at least, more hopeless-seeming than earlier wars which were fought over concepts such as territorial limits or resources rather than ethnic/religious ones....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
 
10,535 posts, read 12,548,738 times
Reputation: 2810
I feel for those in such a desparate position that they would take their own lives. Every one is a tragedy. I will also say that this is not shocking. This is clearly the most difficult time to be in the military in the last 26 years. We have not had a conflict close to this since 1981 so it really comes as no surprise - sad either way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,231 posts, read 3,532,885 times
Reputation: 396
There are a lot of ways to interpret this information about military suicides. I'm not putting much stock in it. Iraq appears to be a hellish place to live even when it's peaceful and I'd definitely kill myself before I'd go to war in 115 degree blazing sun with 100 pounds of gear on my back. But there's so much more to this story --- times are changing, the makeup of the military is changing, the basis for comparing statistics is changing, the way suicides are reported is changing, it seems pretty meaningless to me because the numbers are still very low compared to what they could be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,806 posts, read 27,243,564 times
Reputation: 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Anyone, finding himself in a situation of daily, high-stress conflict, abused and hated by the local population, with seemingly no clean end in sight, is, potentially at least, at risk for desperate behavior. My hunch is that suicide isn't the only destructive emotional behavior being experienced by these guys. My heart goes out to them...
Your heart goes out to telemarketers??


BTW, you do realize the U.S. military is a 100% volunteer force right? I enlisted and reenlisted several times and never recall having a gun held to my head. I'm pretty sure I would've if there was one...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,806 posts, read 27,243,564 times
Reputation: 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I feel for those in such a desparate position that they would take their own lives. Every one is a tragedy. I will also say that this is not shocking. This is clearly the most difficult time to be in the military in the last 26 years. We have not had a conflict close to this since 1981 so it really comes as no surprise - sad either way.
umm, NOT! anyone that served under the clinton years knows what pure hell in the miltary was.. I unfortunately experienced every freaking one of them and they were by far the darkest years the military ever lived through..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Wiesbaden, Germany
13,806 posts, read 27,243,564 times
Reputation: 4004
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, Mr. Walker--I served in the US Navy during the Viet Nam war----I was a teenager then, and didn't have the wisdom you do; perhaps you could have talked me into deserting, but I gues we'll never know--- however, I learned not to give "Bronx Cheers" to people until I knew they deserved it. Of COURSE all war is awful---that's what wars are SUPPOSED to be. The military is designed to break things, burn things, hurt people, and so demoralize the opposition that they give up and submit to your side. Haven't you ever seen a John Wayne movie?
Nevertheless, I think the present day conflict in the middle east is, to some degree at least, more hopeless-seeming than earlier wars which were fought over concepts such as territorial limits or resources rather than ethnic/religious ones....
I actually pretty much completely agree with all of that and this war would be completely different if it stayed ugly, dirty and nasty. Unfortunately, someone invited the media and that was by far the stupidest mistake ever made during a war. Unfortunately, it's also probably a precedent and will choke us until somone finally has enough cajones to boot them out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 38,343,255 times
Reputation: 2147483647
During Dessert Storm a guy interviewed an Iraqi person and asked him where he got his intel. He said, "From CNN."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top