Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:57 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I went into a Payless once. I decided to shop elsewhere. Ironically I suspect Payless closing hundreds of stores will hurt China even more than us.

We just will have less jobs,right at a time when there is high unemployment rate.Not something we need right now.As for China they have hundreds of other of our manufacturing jobs they can just go and get another one.Nothing major .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Doing the math, lets assume there are 3 people employed at each location.

With only 475 locations closing, that would only mean a loss of roughly 1,500 jobs. Bad for those people sure, but nothing more than a drop in the bucket compared to the crisis we already have with 15-24 million un/underemployed.

I'm more worried about the 450,000 planned job cuts by the goverment and the 10,000 job cuts by BofA.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
B of A's largest job site is in India and Harlingen Texas(aka mexican border) its just a matter of time. laugh all u want at payless...B of A and Capital One are outsourcing permanently.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I've never bought shoes at Payless because they never seem to have better shoes. I don't spend a lot on shoes but quality shoes are important for your feet. A $30 pair of on sale reeboks will last me a year, a $60 casual/dress shoe should last a few years.
Some people do spend money on shoes as a status symbol. There was a kid locally who was killed for his shoes that turned out to be knockoffs. Its the same with bling jewelry and techno gadgets and sports wear.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At least no American shoe-makers lost their jobs over this.
I'm fairly certain that Stride-Rite's baby shoes are made in America. They're the best shoes for the little ones and are pretty expensive, so the rotten economy could hurt their sales.

Payless shoes are the same quality you'll find in Walmart, and I'd bet it's the Walmarts that are hurting Payless sales.

Payless bought out Stride-Rite several years ago and also market so other good shoes -- Sperry TopSiders for one. I don't think any of the better quality shoes are sold at Payless ShoeSource stores, however. Those are wholesaled to retailers.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Of course Obama is too blame...He is having GE's CEO as his adviser and he is outsourcing everything to China.

Under Obama things will just going worse and worse...and that is how he breaks down the Coutry from within!

Time for a REAL Change!

I wonder what slogun Obama will come up with;

- "Change and hope will come, don't ask me when!"
- "It's all Bush fault"
- "Tax the rich, but not me or my friends"

Perhaps Obama should ask Warren Buffett to give up all his money, after all Buffett wants the rich to pay more taxes so let's start with Obama, Buffett, Biden, Dodd, Frank and don't forget Kerry/Heinz, they are also one of the richest....

The rest of us who aren't in favor of tax increases for the rich should go with a flat tax..

Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
^^This.
I agree. I think the only reason I've survived periods of unemployment is because I don't really need anything because I buy, for the most part, quality stuff when I am working. So when not working, I don't need anything. I know people who buy cheap crap and reap what they sow as they end up needing clothes for themselves or their kids, or shoes, or a handbag, or whatever, because their stuff falls apart all the time. I bought shoes for work from Macy's last fall that are now a year old and still look awesome right now--I wear them to job interviews. I'd buy a cheaper pair from Payless and they'd be trash in mere months. The Macy's ones I bought on sale for $79.99, the ones from Payless always cost around $25-$30 a pair, and would last a few months and nothing more.

Believe it or not, the poor didn't always have retailers who offered cheap crap. My older relatives claim to having to buy nice stuff and saving for months for it. For instance, dear old Grams got stuck buying $40 purses back in 1957, because there were no other options, and those were the cheapest. The purses were not designer level, but were made of leather and had sturdy straps and were trendy. When the straps fell apart, my grandmother could send in a payment and they would mail her a new strap. It was nice. I plugged in $40 into the inflation calculator, and the equivalent today in terms of purse price, is a Coach, Cole Haan or Dooney & Bourke -- purses that many middle class women consider out of reach and too expensive. My grandmother never had more than three purses. I wonder how many women would consider them out of reach if they only had up to three purses. But most women prefer to have an army of cheap purses that fall apart in mere months. I used to be that way, and would have to buy a new handbag every 3-6 months, and would usually buy more than the handbag when I went out shopping. Honestly, to me, the person who buys cheap crap is more materialistic. Their cheap crap ensures that they are back in the store more often, buying more cheap crap.

I'm the kind of person who is content to have fewer things, but fewer nice things. And to be honest, I feel that it has saved me money in the long run.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
So Obama is now responsible for the business decisions of Payless Shoes?
Yep, if a company is doing poorly, it is Obama's fault, and if it's doing great, then Obama has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Doing the math, lets assume there are 3 people employed at each location.

With only 475 locations closing, that would only mean a loss of roughly 1,500 jobs. Bad for those people sure, but nothing more than a drop in the bucket compared to the crisis we already have with 15-24 million un/underemployed.

I'm more worried about the 450,000 planned job cuts by the goverment and the 10,000 job cuts by BofA.
So, what, the shoes fall out of the sky into the stores?

No, there are union longshoreman and stevedores who unload the container ships, truck drivers who drive the containers to Payless' warehouses where a receiving crew unloads the container and people on fork trucks stock it, then there are the pickers/packers and order pullers who pull the stock for shipment to Payless stores.

And there's a lot more than 3 people at each location. 3 people would be the store manager and two assistant managers. Each store has 14-18 employees.

I am worried about the 450,000 planned job cuts by the government as well, because it isn't enough. Not less than 750,000 need to be cut and in reality, about 1.5 Million should be terminated.

You can't afford them or their pension plans.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Small picture is that it's sad for those who do not have cars to shop for shoes in neighborhoods where these stores will be closing. The poor hurt again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies