Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,519,495 times

Advertisements

In upstate NY, the National Guard troops mobilized to “assist”. Assist what?? Drill Code named IRENE will demonstrate command and control capabilities in preparation of the next false flag attack, and has nothing to do with thwarting a pseudo natural disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 07:38 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,454,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
If you want to do 24/7 coverage ON EAST COAST stations, that's fine.

But why did the rest of the country have to have the non-stop coverage of a Cat1 storm? Because it's the east coast.

It's obvious the news stations had already invested a TON of money and time into covering it, so by God, we're going to cover it!

Also, did anyone else notice that all the reporters spent the majority of their time trying to convince the viewers "This really IS a big deal!!!".
Don't you have cable? If not play a movie or turn off the TV if it gets you angry.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So 21 dead, many millions without power, and $10 billion dollars worth of damage is no disaster to certain posters! How disrespectful to those affected.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you are very right, to a point, but my yesterday it was clearly not going to do the damage expected and the networks could have easily returned to regular programming. There is always time for "special reports"

Nita
Let's not forget that Hurricane Andrew was going to hit the Broward/Dade line for many days and just as it was approaching it turned a little and hit Homestead so it isn't easy to predict where it will hit.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,519,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So 21 dead, many millions without power, and $10 billion dollars worth of damage is no disaster to certain posters! How disrespectful to those affected.
21 dead, is that the good news or the bad news. Betcha Obama is going to turn it into good news, because he likes to say "it coulda been worse" but for my strong leadership skills.
This was a drill, shut down transportation, businesses, the economy, even cell phone towers. atta boy!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,776,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
? I thought New Orleans got flooded the day of the storm...
It got flooded but the levees didn't break completely (there were leaks though, I think?) until later. I just remember there were predictions beforehand about this potentially being "the big one", but a day later it looked bad but not like the city would disappear or anything. So there were a couple on "new orleans dodges a bullet" like internet postings, then all hell broke loose when the water finally did take the levees out in spots.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Governor Christie Hypes damage?

New Jersey governor Christie expects storm damage in billions - Yahoo! News (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/jersey-governor-christie-expects-storm-damage-billions-132234585.html - broken link)

There has been some pretty bad flooding in many areas. I don't think that Irene had to make landfall as a Cat 5 to prove anyone's point. Many areas in the Northeast are ill-prepared to handle flash flooding in widespread areas, it just doesn't happen very much.

I must say, it just never occurred to me that Irene would be the focus of political/media rants.

I always feel sorry for the people that get slammed my a natural disaster and never stop to think who the president is and if they are going to get brownie points for it. Sad!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Wrong, as usual. They are out salting and plowing.
Not before the snow falls. They are sitting at the side of the road, waiting for the first drop of a flake. As in "be prepared".

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-30-2011 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,988,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
21 dead, is that the good news or the bad news. Betcha Obama is going to turn it into good news, because he likes to say "it coulda been worse" but for my strong leadership skills.
This was a drill, shut down transportation, businesses, the economy, even cell phone towers. atta boy!
Once again you are imagining up a scenario and reacting to it. You play in your own head a lot.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:59 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,268,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper
What would it take for you to view Irene as a serious disaster worthy of the preparedness and response our nation was able to pull together to provide? 4.5 million people are without electricity, billions of dollars in damages have added up and at least 2 dozen people died.That's pretty serious to most people and yet there are still individuals like you who would rather put on their tinfold hats and think the transportation shuts downs, etc. were part of a subversive Obama plot---drill as you call it---to do who knows what. Get real. Even a president couldn't get the wide-spread cooperation for the hurricane preparedness if the data hadn't been there to back up the very real danger 11 states faced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies