Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:38 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

I don't know why the heck this tiny storm is getting so much attention. It's ridiculous.
Because it's not tiny? It will affect more people than almost any hurricane in history. It may not be extremely powerful, but it's massive, has very low pressure, and will directly impact 80 million people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:42 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If one lives in "hurricane country" then those types of things are to be expected. They were screaming about NY and NJ being underwater and all kinds of nonsense for a week. How all those folks in the Caribbean manage to survive I'll never know.
I live at the SC/NC boarder where the first affects of the storm were to be felt. The news and weather channel never said a word about us. They said 10 words from Atlantic beach hen went right to NY.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Quote:
Obama can't even make the dreaded hurricane machine work right. Maybe he'll call up Bush and find out what he did to make Katrina crank off.
Wow, there is a hurricane machine controlled by the government?

Seek help, you need medication.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
They've been hoping the sheet would hit the fan for the last week. Too bad for them they won't have a big group of storm "victims" to try and get ratings off of or anybody to blame. Globals must be upset too. First hurricane in like three years to hit and its not the one they need to prop back up their warming insanity. Maybe next time folks.
Hmmm...maybe they could slum it and report on Michelle's massages and expensive Vodka?

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Your are being premature again, KU. Until the storm is over, no one can predict accurately how strong it may become or not, or how much damage it will do.

Remember that New Orleans wasn't hit by Katrina. The hurricane hit on the opposite end of Lake Ponchatrain, filled the lake, and the levees failed. The lake drained into New Orleans, causing the flooding.

Mean Irene doesn't have to be a strong storm to create major flooding- there is going to be an extremely high lunar tide that will combine with it. As long as there is more water than places to drain it off, flooding will happen.

It's the number of major storms, not their severity, that will be evidence of global warming. It's happening, bub. The only thing that's unknown is just how much the human contribution to it is going on, and whether or not we can affect the change. As far as I can see it, the time is past where the world's people can alter it now.

We can all expect to live through colder winters, hotter summers, more big storms and less predictability from one year to the next. The US may not get it all, but we will get our share.

Much too logical, factual and science-y a post for the some. They would more quickly buy into it being an anti-gay marriage hurricane caused by the wrath of God.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
If this is a powder puff 'cane than I'd be prone to argue that Gawd is in fact pro gay marriage.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:00 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
My favorite is an interview by the New York Bubble Boy media with someone who lives on the upper west side of Manhattan. Plenty of coastal areas deeply effected by flooding and beach erosion and they're interviewing someone who won't have elevator service in her high rise.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, there is a hurricane machine controlled by the government?

Seek help, you need medication.
You need to ask that of the liberals who claimed that Bush caused Katrina.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's a slow news day. They're gonna make a big deal out of a puny cat 1 storm. They don't want to report on their disinfo in Libya so they're gonna use the hurricane to distract the masses.
Towns to the east of me are under mandatory evacuation, portions of NYC to my west, too. We are in the crosshairs -- it's still a Cat 1 when predicted to make landfall here at high tide under a new moon. Storm surges are going to cause a lot of flooding. Much of the south shore is being evacuated, too. Winds are supposed to start 8PM tonight continuing through 7 AM tomorrow.

This isn't gonna be pretty.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I live at the SC/NC boarder where the first affects of the storm were to be felt. The news and weather channel never said a word about us. They said 10 words from Atlantic beach hen went right to NY.
I'm on Long Island, and if it's any solace, we've been hearing a lot about OBX and Nags Head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies