Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

The thread... "Obama’s Signs Executive Order Creating ‘Office of Diversity and Inclusion" got me thinking.

is there a LAW out there that says you cannot claim to be "black" even if you aren't for the purposes of getting federal employment?

I mean, there isn't any *test* for race, I don't think. And I don't think they could FORCE you to take it if there were. It's strictly your word against theirs and there is really no way for them to prove otherwise. If they cannot prove it, then they certainly cannot prosecute you for fraud or any other criminal charge.

It would be a great way to protest the whole concept, if you ask me.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Wow. I was just thinking this, but I was thinking religion not race. Even easier.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:42 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
Amazing. You have the ability, nearly a super power at this point, to find at least one thing a day to get worked up into a tizzy of righteous indignation. Yet it seems like at no point have you actually done anything about it.

I guess posting on the internet about something you don't like is much easier then actually doing something about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Amazing. You have the ability, nearly a super power at this point, to find at least one thing a day to get worked up into a tizzy of righteous indignation. Yet it seems like at no point have you actually done anything about it.

I guess posting on the internet about something you don't like is much easier then actually doing something about it.
You on the other hand have just made a major contribution to society by making this post. I commend you sir.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:46 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The thread... "Obama’s Signs Executive Order Creating ‘Office of Diversity and Inclusion" got me thinking.

is there a LAW out there that says you cannot claim to be "black" even if you aren't for the purposes of getting federal employment?

I mean, there isn't any *test* for race, I don't think. And I don't think they could FORCE you to take it if there were. It's strictly your word against theirs and there is really no way for them to prove otherwise. If they cannot prove it, then they certainly cannot prosecute you for fraud or any other criminal charge.

It would be a great way to protest the whole concept, if you ask me.

20yrsinBranson

It's on your BC.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's on your BC.
That's correct, I forgot. Do you have to present your birth certificate when applying for a federal job?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That's correct, I forgot. Do you have to present your birth certificate when applying for a federal job?

20yrsinBranson

another thing came to mind also. Hospitals, when they fill out your birth certificate, do NOT know your lineage. You could have one black grandparent and the hospital would not know this, but technically you would be 1/4 black, and, I believe, legally considered to be African American. After all, if you are 1/16th Native American, you can claim the benefits associated with that (if you can prove your lineage). So, in theory then, you could be considered African American if you had one black great-great-grand parent. Certainly, no hospital is going to know if you had this or not. So they would put WHITE or CAUCASIAN on your birth certificate. Besides, I have known a lot of birth certificates that have contained erroneous information (misspelled names, etc.) so they are not infallible even if they are "official" documents.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Has anyone ever checked ALL the race boxes on a job application? Fun fun.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Depends on what you look like. I mean if you are blue eyed, straight up Nordic looking, then no one will buy it. In reverse, there were ''black people'' passing as white in the Jim crow era, but most of them had dark features like a Sicilian or look ''ethnic''.

This is a White Creole/Cajun woman who is 18-22% black(DNA results) You can tell by looking at her.

One Drop - YouTube

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's okay to discuss things, but in the end if you don't like something and decide to do nothing about it then tough luck. When you point something out and say some one needs to do something...then sit back in your chair in front of the computer and continue to moan like a little child instead of getting off your duff it goes from philosophy to just plain laziness.

Go ahead though. The easiest way to fail at getting what you want is to do nothing about it, it has a 100% fail rate. Please continue, it's hilarious.

I have yet to see a single person do anything about what they constantly complain about. If that's not simply pathetic, I am not sure what is.
Well are you going to MAKE us shut up lol? Otherwise stop whining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies