Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:38 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Free Exercise thereof doesn't mean preaching to a group of kids in a 6th grade classroom. If it did, then Free Exercise would mean every religion can do it. Under the Establishment Clause, then every religion would be entitled to participate.

I take it you wouldn't be ok with a non Christian religious student body preaching to your kids or your neighbors kids.
It doesn't surprise me that you don't know the difference between praying and preaching.

Who said every religion CAN'T pray?

IMO, Every religion DOES have the right to pray.

Blows that assumption out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you don't know the difference between praying and preaching.
In my opinion, the line between praying and preaching is crossed when the praying is on a public address system.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So as a Jewish person, I have to sit through a tradition that is not my own? And which flavor of Christianity is the majority? Cause if there is going to be Christian hegemony, I want the Catholic version. The outfits are stunning!
Move to Ireland, but the right half of it

Old 08-29-2011, 04:58 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,589 times
Quote:

Who said every religion CAN'T pray?

IMO, Every religion DOES have the right to pray.

Blows that assumption out the window.
Praying over a public address system in a school or praying with a group of students in on school time in front of other students to me constitutes preaching.

Why can't they pray on their own time?

School is for learning, not preaching.

Send your kids to private school/religious school.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Get rid of public schools and you get rid of the problem. It's called diversity and choice.
What do you propose to replace the public schools?

Hate to break this to you, but most people are not religious Christians as you would like to believe.

Not everyone in this country belongs to your religion and some don't belong to any religion.

You are starting to sound like the Imam's and politicians in Saudi Arabia, a country which you no doubt despise.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
So in other words, you don't want to pay for public schools, but want me to pay for your church.

Got ya.
You have yet to tell us how your public school taxes compare to your total tax bill but it seems that you feel its fair for the public education system to eat up almost half of an annual tax bill.

Also, I doubt that many even on C-D would dare try to compare churches to the public school system as it relates to feeding at the tax trough. Tax them if you want but you then have to give them complete freedom of speech and that includes in public schools and other public places. That just pops the top on another can of worms and is for another thread.

My point was that if we allowed people to send their children to a private or a public school, and not penalize them, it would allow freedom of choice. Return education back to local jurisdictions where it could be better fitted to the local culture and also taxed there. If you didn't like the way a community ran things, you could move to another one.

The federally run public school system has failed stupendously yet the taxes for this dollar-eating monster just keeps increasing. It is time to try something different.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You have yet to tell us how your public school taxes compare to your total tax bill but it seems that you feel its fair for the public education system to eat up almost half of an annual tax bill.

Also, I doubt that many even on C-D would dare try to compare churches to the public school system as it relates to feeding at the tax trough. Tax them if you want but you then have to give them complete freedom of speech and that includes in public schools and other public places. That just pops the top on another can of worms and is for another thread.

My point was that if we allowed people to send their children to a private or a public school, and not penalize them, it would allow freedom of choice. Return education back to local jurisdictions where it could be better fitted to the local culture and also taxed there. If you didn't like the way a community ran things, you could move to another one.

The federally run public school system has failed stupendously yet the taxes for this dollar-eating monster just keeps increasing. It is time to try something different.
Actually if you do your research, you will find that the states and public school systems receiving the most federal funding are in the South.

In Los Angeles, federal grants are a tiny percentage of the entire LAUSD school system budget.

People like you need to realize that the policies you have grown to hate benefit your communities the most. Just like healthcare. The most uninsured people per capita are in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Before I digress further, without federal help, these states would fall farther into oblivion.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
In my opinion, the line between praying and preaching is crossed when the praying is on a public address system.
Like I said, you don't know the difference.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Like I said, you don't know the difference.
Why don't you inform those of us who are uninformed what the difference is rather than just saying we don't know what we are talking about? Please I want to be informed.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Our court system has had taking an oath to tell the truth by put your hand on a Bible and swearing TO GOD that you will tell the truth. Hmm. Aren't our courtrooms public buildings?
A practice that has been pretty much done away with, even I know that.

Quote:
The taking of every office include swearing in of every Congressman AND the President swears on a Bible to uphold the Constitution.
Interestingly, the Presidential Oath of Office is one of the few oaths listed in the Constitution, and it does not include the words "so help me God", nor is there the slightest mention of a Bible anywhere. It's nothing but a bit of add-on pageantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The US Constitution
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States; and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend, the Constitution of the United States."

Quote:
I trust the actions of those that wrote the Constitution and Declaration of Independence more than any current religion hater.
Jog my memory - how many times is God mentioned in the Constitution, again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies