Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
This is pure insanity. By page 3, it's an all out brawl between my2kidsmom and saganista, when all of a sudden; and this is funny; a NEW member, "we have a choice" comes flying in from nowhere with a shot to the back of my2kidsmom, using the serial killer approach. I'm pretty sure that if we got airtime, the CD forums could put pro-wrestling out of business.

My 2 cents real quick before jco closes this topic. I think that making the procedure of aborting a fetus as easy as taking a pill will bring up the same debate as the over-the-counter morning-after pill did. It creates the idea that pregnancy is becoming less and less serious of a thing. I remember seeing a show a couple weeks ago on how getting married was the new "dating". It was based on a group of couples who were all married, but had no particular intention on being married forever. While I cannot seem to complete an anology here, you can surely see my point when I say that pregnancy is becoming less serious than ever.
Well, the forums here are pretty deep and intense.. there was a racism thread that turned into an all-out-war between two people just throwing insults back and forth. Thing is, most people are passionate about what they feel to be true. Most people cannot accept another person's thinking so the only way is to discredit, insult, etc. In some threads, I'll take a side that I may not actually agree with, just to see how somebody will trash what I say. It's kind of fun.

Back to the topic.. in response to what you say:

Pregnancy is the result of.. (don't know if I can use this word without getting in trouble..). Since that action is becoming less and less serious and more and more common between individuals who are not married, then the result is becoming less and less "HURRAY, YOU'RE PREGNANT! CONGRATS" But rather "Man, I shouldn't have done that.."

An example of things that are accepted today that weren't a while back? The "f" word. My father won't watch/listen/ or associate with anything that has the "f" bomb in it. He's sent a ton of letters to politicians about the mass usage of the word on TV, in music, etc. Most younger people... really don't care. I've heard 5 year olds using the word.

It's not the same thing as intercourse.. but I think you might get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Your view is not superior to anybody's for any reason. It is your view. Somebody else has their view. You don't need to label me as a baby killer for standing up for the viewpoint of abortion.

Here's my story to support your statement...

Because of an accident that occured back when I was 12, my hips never spread out for the delivery of my first child. As a result, it took about 10 minutes to stitch me up. In fact, because of my hips, both myself and my daughter nearly died in delivery (it was too late for a c-section) due to blood loss on my part.. and the squeeze on her part. My blood pressure sat at 57/42 for about.... 15 or 16 HOURS. (Here's a BP chart)

Yes, you could say "go for c-section next time" but in order to PROPERLY carry a baby, a woman's hips have to spread. Because they didn't, the pregnancy was also a problem. She couldn't go lower, so my lungs were only at about 60% capacity and I had some severe intestinal damage from the way my body had to carry. But I wanted this child, so I bore through all of these problems.

Doctor said that the next pregnancy I go through might kill me. Since I'm not going to have my reproductive organs removed and go through menopause at 20, there is no 100% way for me not to get pregnant.

Here's a question for all the "pro-life" people, with this medical history, if I were to become pregnant, wouldn't it be MORE irresponsible for me to go through another pregnancy, knowing that there is a VERY high chance that I will leave behind a child who lost his/her mother, a husband who is more of a stay-at-home dad, and a daughter of a year old? You can say "abstinence" all you want, but I'm married. I can do it all I want according to you.

Yes, some people use abortions as birth control, but instead of calling EVERYONE who goes to an abortion clinic irresponsible, why not look into their lives. Why not take a look at what impact the pregnancy will have on their life? Perhaps the pregnancy itself would put the woman in a financial hole (since not all adoption agencies will pay for medical), or could destroy her job. What if that woman going into the abortion clinic was raped?

You can't expect everybody to willingly destroy their body because a condom broke, or the pill didn't work. You can't expect every girl to cross her legs and not be tempted by boys. Unplanned pregnancies happen with married and un-married couples.
Kuharai your situation was what abortion was supposed to be for. The mothers life would be put in great risk. Now abortion is mainly used for birth control. That is the real argument and anyone that denies that fact is lying. Like with the morning after pill there are states that have no parental consent and no parental notification. Since there is a risk of death, parents do not even have a chance to save their child if something goes wrong.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Now abortion is mainly used for birth control. That is the real argument and anyone that denies that fact is lying.
Birth control is one means for dealing with an unwanted pregnancy that might occur in the future. Abortion is one means for dealing with an unwanted pregnancy that has already occurred in the past. The difference between the two seems quite simple.

Quote:
Like with the morning after pill there are states that have no parental consent and no parental notification.
And those that do are required to have a judicial bypass. Face it. In all those perfect Norman Rockwell families where lines of communication are open and supportive between parent and child, there is no need for a law. A discussion of any 'situation' is automatic. Sadly, not all families are like that. Some minors are burdened with parents who are abusive and prone to violence. Laws in those cases serve only to put a minor at risk.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
There is the option of birth control. It's been around for a very long time and I am sure you have heard of it.
But the problem is that many Christians think using birth control goes against the will and of God, and so it should be banned.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kidsmom View Post
Saganista- where do you get your facts from?I hope it's not Planned Parenthood, but I suspect it is. What makes my view superior to yours is that I am for life. We are talking about a human life or death situation. Your view is for murdering an innocent baby, mine is for saving it. And I have to say, you are quite cold in your articulation of your stance in speaking about the unborn. Let me guess, have you no children? And if you are so wonderful, why are you not taking on the surplus of children? Would you rather they had been aborted than given life? Please tell me where the Constitution speaks of the right to freedom of conscience? As for your right to be left alone, please do not tell me you are for Hillary "it takes a village" Clinton, which totallty invalidates that thought. How about the rights to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", I suppose that means nothing to you because babies are an unwanted inconvienence. You my dear, are the one violating human right to life, not I. It's called birth control. If you have never heard of it, ask your doctor. He/she will give you plenty of choices. Afterall, you are pro-choice aren't you? Oh, and I am for the right to be left alone. Left alone in the womb to grow, and to be born, without a mother murdering her unborn child.
Really what it all boils now to is that a tiny child growing in its mother's womb is not any of your business because you had no role in making it come about.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 PM

So you support banning abortion and birth control to make people take getting pregnant more seriously?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Some minors are burdened with parents who are abusive and prone to violence. Laws in those cases serve only to put a minor at risk.

So you support banning abortion and birth control to make people take getting pregnant more seriously?

A girl will probably survive an unhealthy home life but if she dies from the morning after pill because the parent was not aware that she took it is OK with you? Parental consent, parental notification.

I absolutely support all birth control including self control.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
A girl will probably survive an unhealthy home life but if she dies from the morning after pill because the parent was not aware that she took it is OK with you?
How probable would you say her survival is? Even if all fatalities associated with RU-486 were admitted, the odds of fatality from a medical abortion are about one in one hundred thousand. These are about the same odds as that a man will contract breast cancer. You are trumpeting as if it were commonplace a risk that, at any general level, simply does not exist.

Quote:
Parental consent, parental notification.
Any minor facing the difficult situation that an unwanted pregnancy presents can certainly stand all the help she can get. Getting the crap kicked out of her does not fall into that category.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:15 PM

37 posts, read 25,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Really what it all boils now to is that a tiny child growing in its mother's womb is not any of your business because you had no role in making it come about.
I don't get your point of view. So, if my neighbor's 2 year old boy is murdered, I have no say in what should happen to the murderer because I had no role in making the boy come about?

Fact is, those who are on the side of life believe from the bottom of their souls that abortion is murder. To us, the murder of a 2 year old is the same as an aborted baby. And we are here to stand up for the innocent.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
Fact is, those who are on the side of life believe from the bottom of their souls that abortion is murder. To us, the murder of a 2 year old is the same as an aborted baby. And we are here to stand up for the innocent.

Another fact is many believe from the bottom of their souls that abortion is not murder. Outlawing abortion prevents them from execising an option they believe they should have. Allowing it to continue as a legal option does nothing to interfere with your beliefs.

What makes you believe your beliefs should be imposed on anyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies