U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 11:03 AM

12,282 posts, read 12,127,826 times

Advertisements

Powell attacks Cheney book's "cheap shots" - CBS News

Powell, a guest on "Face the Nation," launched a counterattack against Cheney, accusing the former vice president of "cheap shots" unburdened by facts and likening his huckstering of the memoir to that of a supermarket tabloid.

"I'll tell you, if there is any one single thing in this book that Colin Powell likes about it, he didn't get around to mentioning it to me during that interview," Schieffer said on "The Early Show." "I mean, he slammed the vice president. He challenged his assertions. In some places he challenged his facts. He said the book was full of cheap shots. He even slammed the way that the former vice president has been promoting the book."

On "Face the Nation" Powell described Cheney's book as "essentially a rehash of events of seven or eight years ago ... "

"What really sort of got my attention was the way in which he characterized it, 'It's going to cause heads to explode.' That's quite a visual. And in fact it's the kind of headline I would expect to come out of a gossip columnist or the kind of headline you might see the supermarket tabloids write. It's not the kind of headline you expect from the former vice president of the United States of America.

"Mr. Cheney has had a long and distinguished career, and I hope in his book that's what he'll focus on, not these cheap shots he's taking at me and other members of the administration who served to the best of our ability for President Bush."

Powell then attacked Cheney's characterization of him and his role in the Bush White House:

"He says that I went out of my way not to present my positions to the president but to take them outside of the administration. That's nonsense. The president knows that I told him what I thought about every issue of the day. Mr. Cheney may forget that I'm the one who said to President Bush, 'If you break it, you own it, and you have got to understand that if we have to go to war in Iraq we have to be prepared for the whole war, not just the first phase.' And Mr. Cheney and many of his colleagues did not prepare for what happened after the fall of Baghdad.

"And I persuaded the president to take the case to the United Nations to see if it could be solved without war, and if it couldn't be solved without war, we would have people aligned with us. Mr. Cheney went out immediately after the president made that decision and undercut it by giving two speeches to two veterans groups that essentially said he didn't believe it would work.

"That's not the way you support a president.

Cheney the back biter cares only for himself. He sure will not get to enjoy his ill gotten gains for long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM

49,235 posts, read 21,287,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Powell attacks Cheney book's "cheap shots" - CBS News

Powell, a guest on "Face the Nation," launched a counterattack against Cheney, accusing the former vice president of "cheap shots" unburdened by facts and likening his huckstering of the memoir to that of a supermarket tabloid.

"I'll tell you, if there is any one single thing in this book that Colin Powell likes about it, he didn't get around to mentioning it to me during that interview," Schieffer said on "The Early Show." "I mean, he slammed the vice president. He challenged his assertions. In some places he challenged his facts. He said the book was full of cheap shots. He even slammed the way that the former vice president has been promoting the book."

On "Face the Nation" Powell described Cheney's book as "essentially a rehash of events of seven or eight years ago ... "

"What really sort of got my attention was the way in which he characterized it, 'It's going to cause heads to explode.' That's quite a visual. And in fact it's the kind of headline I would expect to come out of a gossip columnist or the kind of headline you might see the supermarket tabloids write. It's not the kind of headline you expect from the former vice president of the United States of America.

"Mr. Cheney has had a long and distinguished career, and I hope in his book that's what he'll focus on, not these cheap shots he's taking at me and other members of the administration who served to the best of our ability for President Bush."

Powell then attacked Cheney's characterization of him and his role in the Bush White House:

"He says that I went out of my way not to present my positions to the president but to take them outside of the administration. That's nonsense. The president knows that I told him what I thought about every issue of the day. Mr. Cheney may forget that I'm the one who said to President Bush, 'If you break it, you own it, and you have got to understand that if we have to go to war in Iraq we have to be prepared for the whole war, not just the first phase.' And Mr. Cheney and many of his colleagues did not prepare for what happened after the fall of Baghdad.

"And I persuaded the president to take the case to the United Nations to see if it could be solved without war, and if it couldn't be solved without war, we would have people aligned with us. Mr. Cheney went out immediately after the president made that decision and undercut it by giving two speeches to two veterans groups that essentially said he didn't believe it would work.

"That's not the way you support a president.

Cheney the back biter cares only for himself. He sure will not get to enjoy his ill gotten gains for long.
Most people that follow politics knows there is no love lost between the two.

""That's not the way you support a president." I question Powell's involvement during the Valerie Plame fiasco.

Powell's man, Richard Armitege was the first to "expose" Plame. I don't recall ever hearing a peep from Powell during the whole "investigation".

He should have come forward and the investigation would have been over.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM

38,862 posts, read 23,267,470 times
Lightbulb Powell attacks Cheney book's "cheap shots

Powell: highly decorated combat veteran and mastermind of Desert Storm

Cheney: reclusive chickenhawk and vindictive curmudgeon

Any way you cut it...

Powell > Cheney

Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,335,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Any way you cut it...

Powell > Cheney

lol at curmudgeon...I envision this...

Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,022,615 times
Powell was the only somewhat sane one on the Bush admin, that's why he was let go.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 PM

12,387 posts, read 12,525,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
lol at curmudgeon...I envision this...
Is that Glenn Beck?!!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:10 PM

44,884 posts, read 31,208,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Powell was the only somewhat sane one on the Bush admin, that's why he was let go.
According to what Powell told Schieffer, anyway on my TV, he resigned without being let go. He said over and over that he and Bush had agreed that he would only be in for one term. I guess one of you is not telling the truth. Is it you or him?

Old 08-29-2011, 10:11 PM

44,884 posts, read 31,208,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Any way you cut it...

Powell > Cheney
I don't know how many Vietnamese people Powell shot while there, but then maybe shooting a man isn't much of a contest since Cheney didn't really hurt his very badly either.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 PM

66,590 posts, read 48,763,896 times
Cheney is one man who lives up to his name, he truly is a Dick.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:01 AM

38,862 posts, read 23,267,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't know how many Vietnamese people Powell shot while there, but then maybe shooting a man isn't much of a contest since Cheney didn't really hurt his very badly either.

So, is there a point you're trying to make with this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies