Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The problem is that lack of consistency with their Policies. No Car cam until after the the subject is in the patrol car. Females officers only with with female detainees that are strip searched. There is no need to be fair with this Sheriffs office. Had they followed all their own policies then they would have a case. Also where is the video that the one jail employee is caught on tape making with her own camera on the tax payer dime.
Well I wasn't defending this particular department, merely pointing out that it is standard policy to strip suicidal subjects and isolate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:58 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Oh gee, why do I get the feeling there is *a lot* more to this story than what we're getting from the news anchors? There is no way that anyone can form an intelligent opinion based upon the information available.

20yrsinBranson
Yes but in school it is not the person doing the picking on that gets in trouble it is the person being picked on that gets in trouble.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
The thread title is a bit misleading, it wasn't police, it was deputies in a jail. Strip searches aren't exactly uncommon there.

But hey, I wonder how many people complaining about it will also complain when the sheriff has to hire "less qualified" women to ensure adequate staffing in jail to deal with female inmates who need to be strip searched.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well to be fair that is policy. That's pretty standard for any law enforcement/correctional institute. Anyone who claims to be suicidal, or determined to be suicidal is stripped of all clothing and held in a suicide prevention cell.
I get what you're saying, but it didn't sound at all to me like the reason for the call was because she was suicidal. She's the one who called 911 for police protection from her cousin who assaulted her or something like that. The cops screwed up and thought she was the person called about. There were no claims about suicide (from what I can tell) until after there was a lawsuit and video evidence. The cops' story reeks of cover-up.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Well I wasn't defending this particular department, merely pointing out that it is standard policy to strip suicidal subjects and isolate them.
Ok. "Well to be fair" in your post gave it an air of support for the Officers actions.

I would like to say these LEO's and their department acted appropriately. Just too many bone headed mistakes and/or criminal destruction of evidence to be fair.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ok. "Well to be fair" in your post gave it an air of support for the Officers actions.

I would like to say these LEO's and their department acted appropriately. Just too many bone headed mistakes and/or criminal destruction of evidence to be fair.
I can neither condemn nor support the officers actions until I knew the full story. Trust me, I work in corrections, there are a lot of tough calls that leave you open to second guessing. Again, I'm not supporting these officers because it sounds likely that they operated outside of agency policy.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I get what you're saying, but it didn't sound at all to me like the reason for the call was because she was suicidal. She's the one who called 911 for police protection from her cousin who assaulted her or something like that. The cops screwed up and thought she was the person called about. There were no claims about suicide (from what I can tell) until after there was a lawsuit and video evidence. The cops' story reeks of cover-up.
It's possible, even probable. I'd need to read the witness statements, and view the video tapes, learn the full story before I pass any judgement.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Wouldn't it be better to call mental health pros if you think someone is suicidal rather than humiliate and tramatize them? If that's really "procedure" then we have a problem.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Wouldn't it be better to call mental health pros if you think someone is suicidal rather than humiliate and tramatize them? If that's really "procedure" then we have a problem.
Boy ain't that the truth, if they were following procedures, or agency policies, there is a problem.

I might be wrong, but i have heard in the past that any suicidal inmate must be strip search, in case they have something they can use to injur or kill themself. Not sure if this is still the case, so do not get on me if i am wrong, but i have heard this before.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 PM

954 posts, read 1,280,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a jail cell. Anyway, not sure about other states, but here in California, there's a dearth of mental health services out there. It's not entirely uncommon that the local mental health services will refuse to deal with a person, and the only real option the police have is to toss'm in jail or release them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies