Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Everyone should be entitled to basic medical care regardless of their financial status. For those that can afford more services then they should have those services. To deny medical care for the weakest of our society is morally and ethically wrong. In America we now place a price tag one everything. How long before the republicans/tea party try to legislate death camps to rid America of the old, the disabled, and those born with birth defects? Perhaps they will require the testing of babies in the womb and abort those babies if found to a financial liability.
The best healthcare they can afford - in todays society this statement is a joke. Many single mothers work two and three part time jobs to make ends meet because decent jobs have vanished in America. If one of these mothers is making $300 a week to live on but her costs are $325 a week what is affordable healthcare? If health insurance was offered at $1 a week it still would not be affordable. Should she or her child be denied care?
There are many people making plenty of money in the US and yet they want more. They want the benefits of living and earning in the US but they don't want to pay for it. They are not willing to help
those less fortunate.
And many single women continue to have children and are on public assistance.

Those people who make plenty of money (based on your definition of "plenty" apparently) don't want more. They just want to keep THEIR'S.

Who are you to say that they don't help those less fortunate. I'm sure they donate plenty. Question for you - I'm assuming you have "plenty" (you own a computer and have the internet). How much do you donate to help those less fortunate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The GOP has only two positive ideas: reduce malpractice lawsuits and allow citizens to buy insurance across State lines. Let's take it a step further and allow them to buy across international borders. Negotiate an agreement with Canada allowing US citizens to buy into their system. Sure they would have to travel to Canada for treatment, but many Americans would happily put up with that inconvenience.
Moderator cut: image removed

Know what that's a picture of? Those are the burns suffered by Stella Liebeck in the famous McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.

The tort reform bandwagon isn't one to jump on. It was invented by the companies to limit citizens' recourse against them when they do something horrible. The court system works fine. People get what they deserve and don't get anything when they don't.

So after looking at the horrid burns in that picture, do you still think that the law suit was so frivolous? What if it was your mother? Would you want her recourse limited to $10,000?

Tort reform only limits the rights of citizens and extends the hegemony of corporations.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2011, 06:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Know what that's a picture of? Those are the burns suffered by Stella Liebeck in the famous McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.

The tort reform bandwagon isn't one to jump on. It was invented by the companies to limit citizens' recourse against them when they do something horrible. The court system works fine. People get what they deserve and don't get anything when they don't.

So after looking at the horrid burns in that picture, do you still think that the law suit was so frivolous? What if it was your mother? Would you want her recourse limited to $10,000?

Tort reform only limits the rights of citizens and extends the hegemony of corporations.
and who's FAULT was it she got burned....her own

whos IDEA was it to put a cup of coffee between her legs......her own

and EVERYone over the age of 5 KNOWS coffee is hot.......apparently she was to DUMB to KNOW that, and therefore should NOT have been driving

Quote:
So after looking at the horrid burns in that picture
oh gee, I got 3rd degree burns one time from frying up bacon, and the pan spilled...should I sue oscar-meyer??????

yes her suit was frivolous

but WE (all people) have to PAY for HER mistakes

Old 09-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and who's FAULT was it she got burned....her own

whos IDEA was it to put a cup of coffee between her legs......her own

and EVERYone over the age of 5 KNOWS coffee is hot.......apparently she was to DUMB to KNOW that, and therefore should NOT have been driving

but WE (all people) have to PAY for HER mistakes
Whatever. Obviously our court system determined otherwise. Use Google and research a little bit instead of just reacting for a change. You might learn something.

And consider changing your name. No workingclasshero would ever defend a multinational corporation which almost killed a 77 year old woman.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Whatever. Obviously our court system determined otherwise. Use Google and research a little bit instead of just reacting for a change. You might learn something.

And consider changing your name. No workingclasshero would ever defend a multinational corporation which almost killed a 77 year old woman.
oh please

WHO's CHOICE was it to put hot coffee between he legs...did mcd's DIRECT it, or did she do it HERSELF

oh and some court felt sorry for HER OWN MISTAKES

ever heard of personal responsibility

I guess the idiots who blow thier hands of on the 4th of july should sue the fireworks companies, too?????

Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
oh please

WHO's CHOICE was it to put hot coffee between he legs...did mcd's DIRECT it, or did she do it HERSELF

oh and some court felt sorry for HER OWN MISTAKES

ever heard of personal responsibility

I guess the idiots who blow thier hands of on the 4th of july should sue the fireworks companies, too?????
Yes, I've heard of personal responsibility. Ever heard of research and speaking from a point of knowledge?

The court felt sorry for her? That's your analysis? Really, that's it? I feel sorry for YOU.

Read and learn: The Truth About Stella Liebeck | Mother Jones

She was only injured taking the lid off the cup. The claim was about the product being defective and the coffee being way too hot.

You'd have to be a real stooge to side with McDonalds after knowing the facts.

Wow. Just wow.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
kat,

going to europe for the disc replacement had NOTHING to due with european UHC, since it was BLUE CROSS that paid...the whole problem was OUR GOVERNENT..the FDA and VA

I am not against singlepayer.....I have always asked HOW will it be paid for (2-5 trillion a year)...and I dont want the BUREAUCRACY and crap care (go down to a department of health clinic, you will see the crap of the government)of the GOVERNMENT involved
I realize the above. I'm just saying, we hear how we have "the best" and "UHC would lower our quality" and yet, you had to go to a UHC country to get what you couldn't get in the US b/c we aren't up to speed on that procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And many single women continue to have children and are on public assistance.

Those people who make plenty of money (based on your definition of "plenty" apparently) don't want more. They just want to keep THEIR'S.

Who are you to say that they don't help those less fortunate. I'm sure they donate plenty. Question for you - I'm assuming you have "plenty" (you own a computer and have the internet). How much do you donate to help those less fortunate?
Right, all these "immaculate conceptions" just keep happening.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Of the people who get sick and have no health insurance...surely there must be an acceptable way to eliminate them.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,627 times
Quote:

O BOY! I usually agree with your posts on here, but this time I am 1000% opposed.
YES that lawsuit ranks among the most frivolous ever. The woman was an idiot! The Legal system is not meant to protect idiots from themselves.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
O BOY! I usually agree with your posts on here, but this time I am 1000% opposed.
YES that lawsuit ranks among the most frivolous ever. The woman was an idiot! The Legal system is not meant to protect idiots from themselves.
You seem open minded. Go read about the actual lawsuit, beyond what the media actually said.

They want to keep you out of court, and limit your rights. Plain and simple. Then when you are wronged, you'll have no recourse. Read the very short article I linked to above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies