Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 05:04 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times

Advertisements

Isn't it hypocritical for the extreme evangelical conservatives in this country to advocate for policies that are found in the most repressive theocratic regimse around the globe yet state we are fighting a war for freedom against them?

How does restricting abortion, persecuting homosexuals, eliminating civil rights, and most of all, forcing certain religious views upon the population (school prayer, gov't mandated prayer in public places, etc). advance our freedoms?

I find these views hypocritical because we at war or fundamentally opposed to nations whose leadership espouses these exact beliefs.

The views here are from Evangelical Christianity, but over there the same views on these issues are for Evangelical Islam.

Don't these conservative Evangelicals see that they espouse the same views as the people they are protesting against, or wishing to wage war against in the name of freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
There are a couple differences. Evangelical Christians typically won't cut your head off if you don't convert to their church. They typically don't talk their followers into putting on explosive vests and blowing up innocent people. They typically don't consider women property, or, by church edict, stone them to death for talking to a man.

Did I mention that I'm an athiest? I sometimes find evangelical Christians a bit annoying, usually silly, but there is no comparison to Islam.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are a couple differences. Evangelical Christians typically won't cut your head off if you don't convert to their church. They typically don't talk their followers into putting on explosive vests and blowing up innocent people. They typically don't consider women property, or, by church edict, stone them to death for talking to a man.

Did I mention that I'm an athiest? I sometimes find evangelical Christians a bit annoying, usually silly, but there is no comparison to Islam.
I changed the wording to reflect the belief in views on these subjects, not the actions.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:13 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Evangelicals teach the Ten Commandments. Muslims in Iran and Saudi Arabia teach hate and intolerance.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Muslims in Iran and Saudi Arabia teach hate and intolerance.
So do conservative Christians. They just don't add the twist of violence conservative Muslims do.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So do conservative Christians. They just don't add the twist of violence conservative Muslims do.
So, in other words, they are not the same. The churches I have gone to for all of my life never advocated to banish gays from society. Christians are a whole different crop to Muslims who openly advocate for the eradication of gays from society and, yet, it is Islam that your precious Democrats in office and the left-wing politicians in Europe and the media embrace for diversity's sake, over any other religion. How ironic, really. With the explosive increase in the Muslim population in Europe, you can bet LGBT rights gained in Europe will be scaled back, or else.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Evangelicals teach the Ten Commandments. Muslims in Iran and Saudi Arabia teach hate and intolerance.
The KKK is based on religion and teaches hate and intolerance. The evangelicals with hating gays as well.

Though saudi arabia and iran are two perfect examples of what a far right wing nation looks like.
Governments based strongly on religion.
A small group of elites control nearly everything while the rest of the nation lives in poverty.
Constant warmongering
Women are considered basically slaves
No child labor
Horrible working conditions for little pay
Little to no education,..

These countries are exactly what today's far right and tea party want to transform america into.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:10 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The KKK is based on religion and teaches hate and intolerance. The evangelicals with hating gays as well.

Though saudi arabia and iran are two perfect examples of what a far right wing nation looks like.
Governments based strongly on religion.
A small group of elites control nearly everything while the rest of the nation lives in poverty.
Constant warmongering
Women are considered basically slaves
No child labor
Horrible working conditions for little pay
Little to no education,..

These countries are exactly what today's far right and tea party want to transform america into.
I noticed you conveniently left out Qatar and the UAE. Right-wing nations according to your views yet have very high purchasing power parity and are highly developed. They are also a favorite British vacation destination as I always see ads from Fly Emirates and Qatar Airways plastered on the TV screen there

Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 AM

Qatar and the UAE are considered "progressive." That's a laugh. BTW, most of the people living in those countries live in poverty and work for near slave wages. You only see a part of Dubai, UAE; the rich part because that's what media is allowed to show. That's right; no freedom of speech, press, or religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies