Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,097,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You are obviously in dire need of some art history classes, as well as some history in general classes.
If you dont understand what the painting is about, or why the POTUS chose this painting, you either didnt read the thread, or you know nothing about US history.
Sorry professor
at any rate I grew up on the south side of chicago and live in the sw burbs
I know a little about diversity and little bit about discrimination along with equality and have seen just about everything
from everyside (no- i do not claim to be an expert but have a general knowledge of the subject)

Let me guess your good in history but not demographics and geography?

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 09-01-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,137,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Affirmative action is not about equality, it's about some getting treated special cause they have a handicap called skin color or a nationality that puts them at the front of the line. We have dumbed down our entire educational system for this so called "equality"
What are you talking about?Wayland Woman NEVER mentioned Affirmative Action...

Yup! At one time having a handicap like dark skin color DID keep you out of a job(Here's a perfect case of how we NEED more HISTORY EDUCATION!!!!! Guess it HAS, in SOME cases, been REALLY DUMBED DOWN!!!!))

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,973,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What are you talking about?Wayland Woman NEVER mentioned Affirmative Action...

Yup! At one time having a handicap like dark skin color DID keep you out of a job(Here's a perfect case of how we NEED more HISTORY EDUCATION!!!!! Guess it HAS, in SOME cases, been REALLY DUMBED DOWN!!!!))
Some of the wanton ignorance displayed on this thread makes my teeth ache.
Its not like the tools needed for self-education are locked away, only to be accessed by a privileged few.
I can only suppose some would rather wallow in ignorance than take the time to learn something.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You are obviously in dire need of some art history classes, as well as some history in general classes.
If you dont understand what the painting is about, or why the POTUS chose this painting, you either didnt read the thread, or you know nothing about US history.
Kind of sounds like your comments are discriminating
is it any different ?????
Discrimination is Discrimination

Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,533,417 times
Quote:
Some of the wanton ignorance displayed on this thread makes my teeth ache.
Its not like the tools needed for self-education are locked away, only to be accessed by a privileged few.
I can only suppose some would rather wallow in ignorance than take the time to learn something.

I find it interesting that these "black" threads can go on with the Ignorance for 30+ pages, but start a thread about Bauchman, Palin or Ron Paul and they get shut down quick.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Oh, Lord.......please go educate yourself on something....anything!
You are using a major tool for self-education right now, use it!
Pray explain how my remarks are discriminatory.
I'll be waiting with bated breath.
This should be..........interesting.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,853,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
How do you find the comments discriminating?

Discrimination is about making judgments about people, not based on their behavior, but based on factors beyond their control, such as ethnicity, or the color of their skin, or a disability, and so on.

When someone makes comments that show they know little about a topic, and another person suggests they need to educate themselves about that topic, it's not discriminatory. The suggestion can be made nicely or rudely, and I don't think there's any need to be rude, but even if it is rude, that's not discrimination.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How do you find the comments discriminating?

Discrimination is about making judgments about people, not based on their behavior, but based on factors beyond their control, such as ethnicity, or the color of their skin, or a disability, and so on.

When someone makes comments that show they know little about a topic, and another person suggests they need to educate themselves about that topic, it's not discriminatory. The suggestion can be made nicely or rudely, and I don't think there's any need to be rude, but even if it is rude, that's not discrimination.
Exactly!
Educating oneself on the topic at hand before one starts commenting is always a good thing.
Too bad more folks dont do it.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Exactly!
Educating oneself on the topic at hand before one starts commenting is always a good thing.
Too bad more folks dont do it.
wow , both of you need to lighten up a tad bit
I hope to goodness sakes I never come across like a know it all
like you two have demonstrated on your recent posts

thanks for taking something i enjoy doing
reading and posting thoughts on the forums and literally destroying any enjoyment i may have.

hope you have a great labor day and hey sorry to cause such a rukus over something as silly as me just not knowing the white house had a library of art like this - there really was no harm meant

if your intent was to make me upset and feel ignorant - well congrats because you won

Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,556,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Ok, I have got to ask, how do you go from Integration of Schools to Affirmative action? So you believe that we should not only abolish affirmative action which benefits White women more, but we should aslo go back to Segregation?
I want equality before the law, no hate crimes, no affirmative action, and freedom of association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies