Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
What knowledge do we all have after seeing this that we didn't have before? I don't think it's a bad painting, but you are trying to equate looking at it with learning about our history which is not valid.
Equating a painting which captures an actual historical event with "learning about our history" is not valid, but claiming that the display of this painting is tantamount to a constant focus on history and racism is valid. Very evenhanded analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I didn't say that - get it right.
You said its a demeaning word, and that means because its infuse painting, its demeaning. My son asked me why people called me a redneck, rebel, and hillbilly when I was in Michigan. I explained to him that a redneck is someone who works outdoors, and this was seen as a demeaning word. I explained that our ancestors fought against government control, but that they fought for slavery which was wrong. I tell him that hillbilly is a term that is meant to demean those from the south as dumb, and backward. I tell him to prove those insults wrong, and that most folks don't smash them to demean me, but because I'm different.

I'm proud of my southern history, and if people want to paint pictures of us being denigrated with words like redneck, I'm ok with that. If they actually look down on me for being from the south, then they are hurting themselves by under estimating me.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:46 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes, looking at this picture does teach you about history. it IS a picture about a historical event.
That doesn't make it educational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Equating a painting which captures an actual historical event with "learning about our history" is not valid, but the display of this painting is tantamount to a constant focus on history and racism. Very evenhanded analysis.
It's not educational. That's just a fact. We know there was segregation. We know the n-word was used. We know the feds got involved with school segregation. This has zero educational value for anyone who's taken a 6th grade history class.

I see it as focusing on racism. You think the artistic value outweighs that. Those are valid opinions to have. The education argument is not valid.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
What knowledge do we all have after seeing this that we didn't have before? I don't think it's a bad painting, but you are trying to equate looking at it with learning about our history which is not valid.
The OP admitted that his kids wouldn't understand the Rockwell illustration and several other posters pointed out that viewing it would then be a teachable moment for his family to learn about this period of history. So how can you argue that the painting---any painting--hanging in the White House isn't a great opportunity to learn? The White House guides are happy to explain stuff like that to the undereducated.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:52 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:

It's not educational. That's just a fact. We know there was segregation. We know the n-word was used. We know the feds got involved with school segregation. This has zero educational value for anyone who's taken a 6th grade history class.

I see it as focusing on racism. You think the artistic value outweighs that. Those are valid opinions to have. The education argument is not valid.

if you want to take the track that it isn't educational, then what is educational? does everything you walk by need to be explained by someone else in order for it to be educational? this thread for the scant few who find the painting objectionable should be taken by the hand and walked through, s-l-o-w-l-y a class about art and how to look at it.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
And you would be wrong.
Where did you say your degree in art history was from?
Oh thats right, you're just looking at everything from a very casual perspective.
Funny, my art teachers always used pieces such as this to teach a bit about -gasp- history!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
What's next? Selling copies of Disney's "Song of the South" in the White House gift shop?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The OP admitted that his kids wouldn't understand the Rockwell illustration and several other posters pointed out that viewing it would then be a teachable moment for his family to learn about this period of history. So how can you argue that the painting---any paining--hanging in the White House isn't a great opportunity to learn? The White House guides are happy to explain stuff like that to the undereducated.
It may inspire a teachable moment, but in itself, this has zero educational value. I'm not taking a hard position that it should be taken down and burned or anything. I'm just trying to set the record straight here, because one can disagree with this without wanting to "wipe out our history." That's a ridiculous comparison.

That being said, this stuff is taught. I don't see any reason to continue learning it after it's been learned. I see no reason to focus on it any more than that. Of course you are free to do so, but I am also free to object. Which I do. Because I think there are more productive things that we could be focusing on as a country.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
I just look at that picture and realize here in 2011 we still hae a ways to go about these sort of issues. Cannot get mad at anyone as the two party's are looked at differently, so are these paintings. People interpet things so differently, what one person see's is black, the other white.

It reminds me that we have come a long way, but much work needs to be done. I see a strong little girl with conviction, as others might see something else. I see the word yes, but what i see is past the word, the little girl who seems mighty strong.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,523 times
Quote:

This is idiotic.

The painting does focus on racism and desegregation. The painting does have artistic value. The painting does have educational value. Just because you balk at any depiction of white racism doesn't mean you get to choose what works possess educational value or not. Your "facts" are just your opinion, and I've read enough of your opinions on blacks and race to recognize where your opinions are coming from.

You want to claim that everyone knows about the event the artwork depicts, thus the representation of it has no value. This is a very poor point, besides being untrue. Not everyone knows about these events, and fewer know anything about the details. I know for a fact that not everyone realizes that that painting captures an actual event, and that not everyone realizes the extent of the government's involvement in school desegregation. I know this because I've taught these things at levels far beyond 6th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies