Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Why use the word racial minority ? That implies that non-White people are the only ones who face racism in the US. Any race can be racist and the truth is, there are vast areas of the US where white people are a racial minority aswell [California, Hawaii, much of the South west].
Because even though other races can be racist and there are areas where whites are the minority, the grand scale institutionalized racism that our country and many other countries face are in the direction of white on black and white on other races.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Anyone visiting an East Asian country should know they will be outsiders and as such not really welcome unless they are famous.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM

589 posts, read 756,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Because even though other races can be racist and there are areas where whites are the minority, the grand scale institutionalized racism that our country and many other countries face are in the direction of white on black and white on other races.

Are you living in 1950 ? We have policies in place today that discriminate you if you are white, and you are discriminated against even more so if you are not gay and are Protestant [or gasp, if you are Male aswell that is even worse].

As a minority, you are entitled easier access to - Jobs [diversity enforcement], Scholarships, "Race" based organizations that help their race out only [NAACP mostly helps only black people]. Need I go on ? What benefit does a White person receive, when for example a under qualified black person lands a job solely because he is black, and the better qualified white person loses out...That happens all the time in today's America.

Now where is the modern day institutionalized racism towards black people today ? As far as I know, Obama and Eric Holder have been doing a wonderful job doing a 180 since they have been in control and spinning institutionalized racism the opposite way [Black panthers are fine people according to Obama etc].

Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Also you do know that Detroit, Atlanta, and Philadelphia each have black mayors in those majority black cities ? And most of the city council members are black to ? If institutionalized White racism was still a way of life in America then those black majority cities would have a White mayor - since it would be seen as unreal to have a Black person leading a city...Yet thats not the case. I think you should not listen to PC fantasy land College Professors on everything, they have their heads up you know where.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Being from the South and living in a predominantly black neighborhood as a kid, I can say that there are a lot of blacks who are racist, period. LOTS of them. That's also a statement of fact.
You lived in a predominantly black neighborhood? Now things start to make sense. Any kid who is one or part of a few in a neighborhood is bound to develop some resentment toward that race. I was the only black guy in my class for many years in elementary school. I always knew I was not fully accepted even by my friends parents. I heard some awful things said about black people and the N word used allot. My friends didn't use it but boy did their relatives. At the same time I was popular and well liked so its not all bad. In fact the people in the community were very good people. They did have a lot of racial beliefs and attitudes though. I imagine you heard your share of white boy statements. Funny how life is. I'm curious though how did you end up in this neighborhood?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:05 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Totally disgraceful behavior. Loud, obnoxious, rude, arrogant, threatening...absolutely disgusting. There is no excuse for this. None. Even IF the person called him the "n" word there is NO EXCUSE for how this person acted.

He's over there acting as an ambassador for our country and this is how he acts? He's an embarrassment to our country.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,245,013 times
It is true that all races are violent at times, but there is a distinctive "blackness" about this guy's behavior. The public shouting, intimidating and willingness to assault a weaker person over a small perceived "disrespect" is something people have come to associate with blacks. If there is no truth to this stereotype then why are black murder and assault rates the highest by far among races in the US ?
Stereotyping is unfortunate as "innocent bystanders" get hurt whether they are black, Korean or tea party members. This stereotype will exist at least as long as blacks confirm it on a regular basis.
Crying "racism" over any criticism of this type of misbehavior is an indirect endorsement of it and perpetuates yet another negative stereotype.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:09 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Are you living in 1950 ? We have policies in place today that discriminate you if you are white, and you are discriminated against even more so if you are not gay and are Protestant [or gasp, if you are Male aswell that is even worse].

As a minority, you are entitled easier access to - Jobs [diversity enforcement], Scholarships, "Race" based organizations that help their race out only [NAACP mostly helps only black people]. Need I go on ? What benefit does a White person receive, when for example a under qualified black person lands a job solely because he is black, and the better qualified white person loses out...That happens all the time in today's America.

Now where is the modern day institutionalized racism towards black people today ? As far as I know, Obama and Eric Holder have been doing a wonderful job doing a 180 since they have been in control and spinning institutionalized racism the opposite way [Black panthers are fine people according to Obama etc].
The fact that you assume the white person who didn't get the job had to be more qualified is racist in itself. So when you a black person in what job do you think I know some white person had to be more qualified? As far as I know I have never been told this guy or you are our AA hire. So where is your info that blacks get hired all the time over super qualified whites coming from?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Totally disgraceful behavior. Loud, obnoxious, rude, arrogant, threatening...absolutely disgusting. There is no excuse for this. None. Even IF the person called him the "n" word there is NO EXCUSE for how this person acted.

He's over there acting as an ambassador for our country and this is how he acts? He's an embarrassment to our country.

No no no...That man acting like a loon is really in the right acting that way. I have learned why he was acting that way, thanks to several posters on this forum. Its because of institutionalized racism in the US. Yes, that racism he felt thousands of miles away made him act out that way in a foreign country. That modern day White racism is so bad, that he gets free points when enrolling to College just for being black, dang that's some rough racism right there!

So dont blame him, please dont. Blame the real cause - White people. If it were not for White racism, he would have had a polite chat with the Korean man [with no violence] and possibly have even taught him how to sing Kum Bi Yah in English and showed him how to get a nice "grill" done on his teeth ! In fact, im sure the entire bus would have held hands and sang Kum Bi Yah...But White people had to mess him up.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
I can totally understand why that angered the Black guy. I agree that there are better ways he could have conducted himself in that situation.

With that said, it gets old that Black people have to keep watching what they do for fear that it reflects on their whole race. White people don't have to go around worrying about if what they do or say will reflect on their whole race, so why should Black people?

It shouldn't be all on Black people to "act upright." It should also be on racist people to change their primitive, misguided thinking.
What a load of crap! If this video showed a white American acting that way, I'd be just as pissed off and yes it WOULD reflect on all Americans. Do you travel overseas? Trust me, every person from this country is viewed and if they act a certain way, the locals start to think we ALL act that way. White, black, brown, it's not the skin color, (WTF is the focus on the skin color, the focus should be that an AMERICAN was acting this way in a foreign country, my GOD what is wrong with some of you), it's who they represent which is OUR country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies