Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
My husband has always performed the small courtesy of flashing his headlights when he sees state troopers parked and waiting for the unwary drivers going in the opposite direction. He learned to do that from his Dad, and I assume in many parts of the country, this is a standard driving behavior.

Well, don't try this if you drive in Florida:

Campbell says, "I was coming up the Veterans Expressway and I notice two Florida Highway Patrol Cars sitting on the side of the road in the median, with lights off."

Campbell says he did what he always does: flashed his lights on and off to warn drivers coming from the other direction that there was speed trap ahead.

According to Campbell, 60 seconds after passing the trooper, "They were on my tail and they pulled me over."

Campbell says the FHP trooper wrote him a ticket for improper flashing of high beams. Campbell says the trooper told him what he had done was illegal.

Class action suit says Florida Highway Patrol illegally tickets motorists who warn others about speed traps | wtsp.com

Shouldn't this driver win his lawsuit? Could flashing your headlights really be illegal or a "safety issue" as interpreted by the troopers onsite?

Your honor, I was signaling the 18 wheeler, that he was clear and could get over in the lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
They use to advertise the location of Alaska State Troopers on the radio. Drivers that spotted the State Troopers would call in to the radio station and report their location. This had the approval of the State Troopers. They figured that if people knew where they were they would adhere to the speed limit in that area.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I remember people getting tickets for this all the way back to the 80s. How about they ticket people for warning about DUI/DL checkpoints?

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/es...cbcc55198.html

Old 08-31-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I remember people getting tickets for this all the way back to the 80s. How about they ticket people for warning about DUI/DL checkpoints?

ESCONDIDO: Checkpoint protests continue
There is nothing illegal about warning motorists about check points or the location of law enforcement. People with CBs do it all the time.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Saw this last night on the Orlando news.
God, I live in a dumb state.
yep those fascist liberal policies suck

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
I'm sure the government would argue that disrupting the enforcement of laws that exist to punish unsafe driving behavior is something that should be discouraged.
How is it condoning unsafe driving if you're asking others to slow down?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
I'm pretty certain flashing the lights to warn of police is illegal in every state. You are interfering with law enforcement. It would be similar to putting a hat over a red light camera.

Now, once you get the ticket, I bet you could fight it and win. I had a friend who fought and won a ticket for cutting through a gas station parking lot. He told the judge that he decided the prices were too high and wanted to go to another gas station. He won.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM

Florida state statute indicates that "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway". Source: Title XXIII, Chapter 316, Rule 2397, Subsection 7.

In Alaska, a State Trooper has probable cause to stop a driver who flashes a vehicle’s high beams based upon a violation of 13 AAC 04.020(e)(1).

Flashing high beams may be an attempt of one driver to communicate with another driver, but the actual message being conveyed is unclear.

Flashing high beams at an approaching vehicle has been used to attempt to communicate:
  • The approaching vehicle's high beams are on, and they need to set them to low beams;
  • An obstacle or critter may be in the approaching vehicle's path;
  • There is a problem with the approaching vehicle (a headlight is burned out, or not on, etc.); or
  • To warn people of checkpoints or law enforcement activity ahead.
Flashing high beams at a vehicle in front of you, traveling in the same direction, has been used in attempt to communicate:
  • That the vehicle in front needs to pull over and let you pass;
  • To signal when an overtaking vehicle has passed and is clear to pull over; or
  • As a form of aggressive driving;
What is actually being communicated is never clear, and left up to the recipient to guess at its meaning.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
America is a free country!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
America is a free country!
not if you have to pay for it, it isnt free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies