Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:53 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
gawd...I hate the way southerns say EYE-talian

and they are always fix'n to do something....my friend down there would say "they are fix'n to go to the store".........I would say "is the store broke" that you have to fix it
What I find so funny about your hate is city New Yorkers, and New Jersians close to New York, have some of the strongest local accents in the country.

You can tell someone witha southern accent is from the South. You probaly can't say which state. But the New York/new jersey accent can be identified immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
He didn't do anything above and beyond that any other mayor should do. It's sad when we exalt someone to iconic status for doing what they were supposed to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why are you bringing up Nagin? Nagin is the poster child of what NOT to do as a mayor. I never said that Guliani did a poor job during 9/11. He simply did what he should have done. Nothing more, nothing less.
You brought up "what any other mayor should do." Nagin being one of those "any other mayors", I was comparing what Nagin did to what Giuliani did.

So Giuliani DID NOT do what ANY other Mayor should do.

Most people believe Giuliani did a GREAT job.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Guiliani was never my mayor, but I am very familiar with him as I lived on LI at the time. I was never a fan of his politics and policies, but even I had to say he did a great job in the aftermath of 9/11. He said and did all of the right things, IMO, to help New Yorkers (regardless of party) get done what needed to get done in a time that could have very easily become chaos. Whether he's using that as currency to further his own career now, well, I don't have an answer to that. But he deserves credit for a job well done at that time.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:53 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Guiliani was never my mayor, but I am very familiar with him as I lived on LI at the time. I was never a fan of his politics and policies, but even I had to say he did a great job in the aftermath of 9/11. He said and did all of the right things, IMO, to help New Yorkers (regardless of party) get done what needed to get done in a time that could have very easily become chaos. Whether he's using that as currency to further his own career now, well, I don't have an answer to that. But he deserves credit for a job well done at that time.
are you saying other mayors would do this
Person 1- Help me im dying
Mayor- Are you a democrat or Republican
Person 1- Democrat
Mayor- ok, you deseve to die
what world do you live in.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:07 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You brought up "what any other mayor should do." Nagin being one of those "any other mayors", I was comparing what Nagin did to what Giuliani did.

So Giuliani DID NOT do what ANY other Mayor should do.

Well that's why I said "what any other mayor should do". I acknowledged that there are a bunch of incompetent mayors in this country with that statement.

Giuliani was competent during 9/11. What Giuliani did should be expected of all leaders. That's why he doesn't get any special kudos from me.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It amuses me, in a dark sort of way, how so many people made Giuliani a hero after 9/11--IN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY--when he was one of the most-hated mayors ever in his own city before the attacks took place.
Most hated by who? He won reelection handily.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I was a month old resident of NYC on 9/11. I think he did an excellent job and Lawrence O'Donnell is a pathetic liberal loon.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:22 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Like Obama is the "fraudulent hero" of Hurricane Irene. Gotta love the photo op and the opportunism politicians make
The difference between Guiliani's performance after 9/11 and Obama's "performance" with Irene is like the difference between Ike as SHAEF Commander in WWII and Jimmy Carter as President. No contest at all.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Although most people here in New York City know better. The man's mayoralty could be described in one word: punitive. He was hated by New Yorkers of all backgrounds, and didn't even do all that much after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. In fact, he was in the right place at the right time, and took full advantage of photo opportunities. He played himself off as a 'hero,' and the really sad part of the deal is that people all across the country fell for his act.

Throw a bunch of random names in a hat. Pull one out. Whoever that person is, he or she would make a better President than that 9/11 one-trick pony, Rudolph Giuliani.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Most hated by who? He won reelection handily.
Didn't he try to get the rules changed so he could run for a third term and was roundly shot down? He was on his way out the door when 9/11 happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies