Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Israel-Palestine solution poll
Create a Palestinian State with Jerusalem as part of it 18 15.79%
Create a Palestinian State minus Jerusalem 37 32.46%
Create a Palestinian State with some form of common jurisdiction over Jerusalem 36 31.58%
No Palestinian State, I support the status quo 23 20.18%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 10:26 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To answer your question Indonesia.
Have the facade of one, is not same as having one. Sharia law, minority muslim group killings, unfair judicial system....more than that is for another thread.

Quote:
As to Israel I think it is approaching a critical point.
It is. But it should be between the Jews and the Arabs of that country and no one else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Have the facade of one, is not same as having one. Sharia law, minority muslim group killings, unfair judicial system....more than that is for another thread.

It is. But it should be between the Jews and the Arabs of that country and no one else.
Do you know what nations were most heavily involved in the creation of modern Israel? You sure don't sound like you do, but then . . . . . . . .

Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I cheated on you and went to the page on YouTube that you had to get this video from, if you got it yourself, and found that not one case of Palestinians mistreating Israelis was on that page.

You have to know that showing something from NOW and Code Pink and then following it up with this one is just a shade smelly, I hope. What if I get some Jewish page that shows all that kind of crap propaganda about Palestinians and post them to you. Most lefties don't read any link I post anyway so I guess we know.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
And that's the big question which goes unanswered.

Why is the most powerful lobby group in Washington lobbying on behalf of a foreign power and composed of almost entirely of Americans(Jewish) who put Israel first?

And why does our government bow down to them?
It seems that you don't have any ideas about who was most instrumental in the creation of modern Israel any more than some others do. You ought to check it up from some other place than NOW, FreeSpeechTV or any of the left blogs so many here get their info from.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
I think you are very wrong, and you would realize that if you actually went to Indonesia. There are tons of bars and nightclubs there, hardly what you would think of in Sharia law. Muslim parties get maybe 14% of the vote, and only one province (Aceh) has sharia law as part of a peace deal. Once more you tend to hear about Muslim group killings because they are reasonably rare and often result in police crackdowns and high level prosecutions.

Quote:
The world is so globalized it doesn't work that way anywhere, anymore in practice.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The world is so globalized it doesn't work that way anywhere, anymore in practice.
The attention the Israeli-Palestinian conflict gets is totally disproportionate. Today there are about 100 ethnic conflicts raging all over the world, yet you hear almost nothing about:
South Sudan, Tamils, Russia - Chechnya, Turkey – Kurdistan, Nigeria, Nepal, Tibet, etc.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-03-2011, 11:40 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The attention the Israeli-Palestinian conflict gets is totally disproportionate. Today there are about 100 ethnic conflicts raging all over the world, yet you hear almost nothing about:
South Sudan, Tamils, Russia - Chechnya, Turkey – Kurdistan, Nigeria, Nepal, Tibet, etc.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I agree there is disproportionate attention to Israel-Palestine, but in every single conflict you mentioned, and more there is substantial international involvement. Take Turkey-Kurdistan. It is not just between the Turks and Kurds. It also involves Iran, Syria, Iraq, and the Arab league and gets a fair amount of attention from the US and EU. Not to mention that in most African conflicts China, the EU and the US all take sides. Europe is heavily involved with Nigeria, China is in Zimbabwe, Angola, and Sudan, and the US has always had a keen eye on South Africa.

My point is simply to say that regional conflicts just aren't regional anymore. Thus why I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post

Last edited by Randomstudent; 09-03-2011 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-03-2011, 11:50 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
I vote to bomb them both.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what i don't understand is how people don't see that there are atrocities on BOTH sides and that we should stay out of it. rachel corrie maybe shouldn't have been there, (again, it isn't our issue) but she was, in fact, murdered. she thought she was doing good for the palestinians, just as the pro israel people think they are "protecting" israel.

why can some people see idealism only on ONE side of an issue? there are always shades of gray.

this is a serious question. how far do we need to go in protecting israel?

they have nuclear weapons that they can use when/if they choose to use them. they are capable of defending themselves if they need defense, and they have every right to defend themselves.

do we need to get involved in their border dispute? what do WE gain as a country?
We gain credibility as a nation which stands by its democratic ally in the face of the autocratic/ totalitarian neighbor-states and corrupt theocracies which seek to wipe her out.

America either stands for the rule of law or not. Everything else in this thread is smoke and mirrors.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 AM

553 posts, read 1,026,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you know what nations were most heavily involved in the creation of modern Israel? You sure don't sound like you do, but then . . . . . . . .
For all I know, those were mostly people from the Soviets, and mostly those who could not put up with anyone for their bad temper and greed, so they had to leave.

But how is any of that related to the fact that America sends Israel 3 billion dollars a year so they could buy tanks and buldozers to systelmatically exterminate civil population of Gaza? I do not get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I cheated on you and went to the page on YouTube that you had to get this video from, if you got it yourself, and found that not one case of Palestinians mistreating Israelis was on that page.
Haha. You have no idea what is going on in that part of the world, are you? "Palestinians (who are under the military occupation of Israel) mistreating Israelis"...
very funny indeed.
God grief... why don't you just get back to bashing environmentalists? that's a lot simpler and less embarassing for yourself. You do not even have to read any news for that .

Last edited by Dressy; 09-04-2011 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies