Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,663 times

Advertisements

Four Police Officers Ambushed and Killed in Coffee Shop

Anchorage police officer ambushed as he sat in car, will recover | OregonLive.com

Columbia Heights, MN Police Officer is Ambushed. - YouTube

I could go on and on and on. 19 of the 50 police officers killed, in 2011, were ambushed. Shot and killed, when they had no chance.

People, on this board, whine everyday about how "corrupt" police officers are. Tell it to these police officers, who were working to save YOUR life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,975 times
Sadly enough there will be little if any publicly expressed outrage. It seems to be much more trendy to bash cops than it is to support them.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times
Doesn't it go with out saying that there's at least some "inner outrage" when a police officer is killed, much less multiple officers killed in an ambush?

There's a distinct line between feeling outrage when a public servant is killed by evil-doers, and that of police officers who are the evil-doers themselves.

I won't speak for everyone else, but I can objectively segregate my thoughts, feelings, and opinions as appropriate.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,279,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Sadly enough there will be little if any publicly expressed outrage. It seems to be much more trendy to bash cops than it is to support them.
Yes. Those men and women DIED, so some fruitcake could bash police officers. If the anti police crowd were to be take seriously, then post something like this, showing the TRUE sacrifices the MAJORITY of police officers make.

Not he minority of idiots, who screw it all up for the rest of us. Of course, who would read and/or take notice such news.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,221,096 times
I don't think many people are happy that a police officer died. But to me at least, I don't see police officers as hero's. So there isn't much of a difference to me whether a police officer is killed, or if a judge is killed, or if a bus driver is killed, or if a preacher is killed, or if a train engineer is killed. Sure, police work is risky, but it no where near as risky as say, a miner, a garbage man, or a fisherman(which is about 6 times more dangerous than police work).

While I appreciate that there are police officers, the types of people who become police officers aren't always the kinds of people you respect. A great many police officers are simply *******s, who think they are special, as they go around breaking the laws they are supposed to uphold. These guys tend to be little people with big egos who think everyone else should always respect their authority. I mean, who really wants to be a cop except people who either can't find a better job, or who actually enjoy that kind of work. And why would they enjoy it?

Most people do not have good experiences with the police, and since police are in a position of authority, and many times they abuse that authority, a great many people have a lot of hostility towards police, that they wouldn't have to say, firemen(who tend to only play a helpful role). Which is why I find people to be much more sympathetic to fireman, but are always looking for a reason to complain about the police.

But most importantly, I am really tired of people trying to tell me who my hero's should be. For instance, I believe that farmers and fisherman are much more admirable than the police and the military.

As for the military, I have no doubt that the dedicated and hardworking fishermen and farmers would pick up a gun(probably one of several they already own) and defend this country in a heartbeat if it were ever actually threatened. But most of what the military does these days is nation-build, and protect our "interests"(which is a another word for oil), and many of the people in the military are just there for a job, not because they love this country. They are not my hero, I'm sorry.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,322,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
People, on this board, whine everyday about how "corrupt" police officers are. Tell it to these police officers, who were working to save YOUR life.
Shouldn't corrupt police officers outrage us?

I don't care that these police officers are dead any more (or less) than I care that a super market clerk, ticket taker, house wife, cab driver, etc are dead.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,461,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
So there are some bad apples in every bunch, not the whole dang crate. In every filed you have good and bad. But i know many fine policeman who risk their life every time they go out there and do their job, they many never come home.
All cops as in every other filed, are not created equal, and no i am not happy that this has happened. Unless you know a policeman first hand or are married to one, you do not understand the risk possessed to them each and every time they walk out of their home. There are some bad ones, but i believe the good ones outweigh the bad.
Just as in politics we get stuck with the bad, and then lo and behold someone new and exciting, who will actually have plans of action instead of talk, will come along, and do the job at hand.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:56 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,611 times
Quote:

Anchorage police officer ambushed as he sat in car, will recover | OregonLive.com

I could go on and on and on. 19 of the 50 police officers killed, in 2011, were ambushed. Shot and killed, when they had no chance.

This is kind of a vague argument. I think there's plenty of outrage when a cop is ambushed, for whatever reason---and frankly I don't see a lot of cop-bashing on this forum. I have a couple of cousins who are cops and another who's a recently retired police chief. They do a stellar job serving their mostly rural communities, but you're always going to have a few corrupt cops on the take, especially in large cities. I think the overwhelming majority of people support the police, but we also need to weed out the bad apples among the men in blue.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 AM

954 posts, read 1,282,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

While I appreciate that there are police officers, the types of people who become police officers aren't always the kinds of people you respect. A great many police officers are simply *******s, who think they are special, as they go around breaking the laws they are supposed to uphold. These guys tend to be little people with big egos who think everyone else should always respect their authority. I mean, who really wants to be a cop except people who either can't find a better job, or who actually enjoy that kind of work. And why would they enjoy it?

I hear so many people say this, yet no cops I know are like this.

Most people do not have good experiences with the police, and since police are in a position of authority, and many times they abuse that authority, a great many people have a lot of hostility towards police, that they wouldn't have to say, firemen(who tend to only play a helpful role). Which is why I find people to be much more sympathetic to fireman, but are always looking for a reason to complain about the police.

I suspect most people have good experiences with the police, because most people are law abiding.

But most importantly, I am really tired of people trying to tell me who my hero's should be. For instance, I believe that farmers and fisherman are much more admirable than the police and the military.
Seems like you are making a lot of presumptions.

Last edited by nr5667; 08-31-2011 at 01:53 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times
Quote:

I agree with you, but you have to remember this forum and forums in general usually attract extremes. The vast majority of Americans have deep respect for police officers. Compared to other countries, I think Americans respect their police officers the most. Even in countries such as South Korea, they obey the law, but police officers are viewed as a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies